spot welding "H" type nickel strips

Steve1M

1 µW
Just registered on this cracking forum, and here is my 1st post.
-
May be a stupid question, but when using this type of strip, am I supposed to position my probes either side of slit, or same side?
-
I guess the whole point of them maybe is to force more current via the cell end, than if it were shared with a plain un-slotted strip, but I cannot find any info on this anywhere.
-
I am trying to create stronger welds onto old salvaged A123 26650 cells, harvested from Dewalt packs over the years. (aluminium can, nickel ?? thin end discs)
-
I am only using one of those cheap BIFRC PCB welders, which form excellent, strong welds onto 20700 cells, with 8mm 0.12 standard plated strip.
-
Please explain the reason for this strip design.
-
Many Thanks, SteveNickel H strips.PNG

Right, the probes are supposed to be on opposite sides of the slot so less current is passing through the nickel sideways. I've done nickel sheet with no slots and had good results using a Riba2233 welder. The slots will be helpful if the welder power is marginal.

Right, the probes are supposed to be on opposite sides of the slot so less current is passing through the nickel sideways. I've done nickel sheet with no slots and had good results using a Riba2233 welder. The slots will be helpful if the welder power is marginal.
Great.... many thanks for swift reply

Back