Still big scooting in San Jose.

There was a guy I knew a long while back, he was super excited about the paper/boron/aluminum frame that someone was making. I can not swear to the boron, but as I heard it: Paper shell, with I guess Boron spooge to make paper mache, the they sputter aluminum into it to end up with "an incredibly light, incredibly strong frame that will out perform steel" He was all twitterpated about it. I learned a long time ago to never volunteer and never be the guy to buy the first of whatever they are selling. I asked years later whatever happened to his paper bike... Evidently they had not figured out a solution the fact that you peddle a bike, therefore need a round spinny bit.

My favorite sword is 200 years old. My bow is only 90, but it is a standard yew bow, they have a bit of history to em. I like leather boots and carry a fixed blade knife.... All of which I learned the hard way is going to be the absolute best thing you do. K.I.S.S. I am also 6'4 and just shy of 300 pounds (well, before the whole terminal illness thing. I stopped looking at the scale). I have never been average sized. I don't muck about much with bikes not made out of steel. yes there are other materials, but steel has been carrying fat guys around the planet for a hundred years. I am gonna go with that. Don't judge me unless you too have had a chair... in a train, break under you.
I hear you sir and believe me I am not anti-steel! I love steel! Hundreds of years can not be wrong with so much success, as you say. I still often use steel and aluminum embedded in my composite parts just to be sure. Why discriminate against any material when the goal is safety? Seems like such common sense bro. I really learned to love Kevlar, and that is the reason I trust my scooter frame like I do. It is very seldom used because once ’glued together’ it is VERY hard to work with. I have had to learn how to drill it and cut it and form it differently because it is nearly indestructible. Just because it is hard to work with and labor intensive is no reason, in my humble opinion, to be against such a great material. I guess time will tell. Totally down with K.I.S.S. bro and thanks for the cool input. ⚡

well, regarding bike frames, if you build from carbon fiber you expect it to be superlight too, so you only use as much material as is necessary. I think that's the main reason carbon frames break, same with thinned aluminium frames. Make them just a bit thicker, give some more margin, and they should hold up well in any situation. I think you could build a wooden motorbike and it would work too, as long as you use thick enough pieces and don't mess up the joints
I could not agree more with everything you just said there sir. Seem like common sense right? Thank you and well said bro. 👍

What was the outcome of your DMV appointment?
later Floyd
Hey Floyd, thanks for asking. So DMV sent me to CHP. DMV said since it goes 70 mph I should get title and registration like a homemade motorcycle, so I needed to go to CHP and they would give me a VIN number first. I had my CHP appointment this last Monday, but the officer that does the VINs was not there, so I am rescheduled for Tuesday the 19th. I am very excited at the possibility of being fully legal, registered, titled, and insured. I have been dreaming of a VIN number for a long time bro! Cheers. ⚡

Hope dan got what he wanted. Saw the first scooters of the season today, a matching pair, not as cool as dans.
Thank you very much brother calab. Still working on it but it is looking really good for getting steet legal in one way or another. I feel so lucky and grateful that so many people are getting and giving so much positive energy from my big scoot. Your the man bro. 👍

Hey Floyd, thanks for asking. So DMV sent me to CHP. DMV said since it goes 70 mph I should get title and registration like a homemade motorcycle, so I needed to go to CHP and they would give me a VIN number first. I had my CHP appointment this last Monday, but the officer that does the VINs was not there, so I am rescheduled for Tuesday the 19th. I am very excited at the possibility of being fully legal, registered, titled, and insured. I have been dreaming of a VIN number for a long time bro! Cheers. ⚡
What was the outcome? I suspect there are other riders of modified/ homemade E scooters, E bikes, E motorcycles That would like to know.
later floyd

How do you have the controllers set up?
I thought I saw dual throttles.
I have two fardriver controllers that arrived last night - barely looked at them.
I know they have canbus, but I don't know of that means they can be set up as master/slave or not.

Worst case for me would just be to split the throttle signal to the two controllers.

It's odd that I don't see more dual motor setups using fardriver.

Worst case for me would just be to split the throttle signal to the two controllers.

What's "worst case" about that? It's a simple, reliable way to have 2WD without extra nonsense or operational complications.

What was the outcome? I suspect there are other riders of modified/ homemade E scooters, E bikes, E motorcycles That would like to know.
later floyd
So still no vin. but I have not given up. CHP told me they couldn’t give me one because my frame hasn’t passed needed federal certification and testing, although the awesome officer told me he thought it looked like it could! So I asked if I was just a big scooter? he just shrugged his shoulders and said basically I guess so. We had a. Great conversation, he called me a pioneer which made my month, and we ended with a great firm handshake. So I love riding my scoot around my area and yesterday I turned over 5500 miles and also got pulled over by the police for the first time. It was shortly after this picture, two of the motorcycle officers pulled me over and it turned out to be fantastic. I have been dreaming of showing my scoot to law enforcement and it may be coming true. I have the most amazing video of the whole encounter and the many questions they asked all about it. After telling them all about it and how easy it is to ride they both said they would like to try it!! They told me how to start to show it to San Jose PD and encouraged me to pitch it to them! One of the better days I have had in a while. 🤩

Attachments

• IMG_0998.png
    IMG_0998.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
I too have benefitted from a high vehicle charisma and a high luck stat.

1714847777937.png

I'm surprised at your luck though because this is a class of vehicle that should have a license plate. it's a bigger stretch than i make with my ebikes.

Have you considered modifying an existing frame for the sake of achieving legal compliance?

How do you have the controllers set up?
I thought I saw dual throttles.
I have two fardriver controllers that arrived last night - barely looked at them.
I know they have canbus, but I don't know of that means they can be set up as master/slave or not.

It's odd that I don't see more dual motor setups using fardriver.
I just have the one throttle and split it to serve both controllers. I think 2wd is starting to catch on now. Soon it might be your bike is 2wd or it is chasing one! I know mine is making believers, because it is so fast off the line. I am just getting it dialed in and I can already beat most MOTORCYCLES off the line, and cars don’t stand a chance! I am an old guy, and I am not racing around trying to be dangerous, but when your vehicle is capable of reaching the speed limit faster, I find it way more fun, and potentially safer. My scoot is very capable and has kept me perfectly safe so far and I am so grateful and feel beyond lucky and maybe a little proud!👍

I too have benefitted from a high vehicle charisma and a high luck stat.

View attachment 352219

I'm surprised at your luck though because this is a class of vehicle that should have a license plate. it's a bigger stretch than i make with my ebikes.

Have you considered modifying an existing frame for the sake of achieving legal compliance?
I had not considered using an existing frame because I don’t think one exists that is even close to my dimensions. I am not aware of anything freeway certified with a deck like mine, and definitely not that is 2wd. Weped scooters are about my biggest sibling but I seriously doubt they are getting plates and riding on expressways and freeways! So I have read that folks have perused being registered as a small manufacturer and say it is not impossible, and may be a way to get a vin for a new build. Maybe I can entice a manufacturer to help me build a few new frames when they see how simple they are and how much fun they are are to ride. I do wish I could cut the vin off an old Vespa and epoxy it onto my frame though! 🙏⚡

Back