Sun-thing battery, waiting 17 weeks!

sun-ebike said:
it only take 7-8 weeks normally
This is the point...you quote 7-8 weeks for shipment to arrive, not 7-8 weeks delay.

So your reason now in June is a throw back to communication with Canada customs in March?? It would have been nice to pass that communication on to the customer...back IN March, instead of a corkscrew of misinformation when you realized you f'd up. Own up. Failure without admittance is dishonor...

I live in Toronto. I have a 48V 10ah LifePO4 pack that I am not using for now. It has a plate that allows it to be mounted to a rear rack. It is a couple of years old so not exactly sure how much life it has, but I am guessing about 8ah or so.

I would be willing to loan it to you until you resolve your situation.

Let me know and, if interested, maybe we can arrange delivery. I assume you would need loan of a charger as well?

Got your money back yet? I had a broken battery turn up late. Used Paypal. Explained I couldn't return a faulty battery, they understood and I got my refund. It's about a week since you levied your complaint so I guess your ready to escalate the claim and I see no reason you shouldn't get your money back. The mail office should be an acceptable 3rd party to provide the proof it died in transport and is thus the sellers problem. A photo of the letter should do the trick nicely, and you sure as hell haven't signed for it and it's late beyond all expectations. It's the lack of delivery that gets the refund. The letter about what actually happened is just for consideration. So they know without question that it's not going to turn up.

Thank you for the very kind offer, but I have ordered a new battery from cell man, and have a 36v pack till it arrives. I have had no response from either Sun-thing, or PayPal, so I think I,ll go with the customs refund. I hate letting this guy off the hook, but I need this to be over. I hope my experience will keep others from buying from him.

PayPal was extremely helpful and responsive when I had a problem and offered a complete refund. You may need to contact them in order to keep your claim moving, but that's pretty easy.

2old said:
PayPal was extremely helpful and responsive when I had a problem and offered a complete refund. You may need to contact them in order to keep your claim moving, but that's pretty easy.

I believe that 17 weeks is long past the point at which PayPal washes their hands of the matter. If you don't file before their deadline you are SOL......

WoodlandHills said:
2old said:

I believe that 17 weeks is long past the point at which PayPal washes their hands of the matter. If you don't file before their deadline you are SOL......
You have 180 days after the transaction to open a case and if the seller can't prove your battery was delivered with a valid tracking number, you WILL win. Guaranteed.

When did you open a case and have you escalated it for mediation?

I escalated to a conflict on about the 16th of june. I got an email from paypal today asking if I have received the battery yet, so they are still reviewing. A refund is certainly coming eventually, but that is no consolation, it does nothing to compensate me in any way. I think the guy should be responsible for paying for whatever equivalent battery I can get delivred quickest. That would approach fairness, however improbable. As it stands, I have to borrow, to order another battery, and wait, so I can get where I was supposed to be at the end of April. This winter will be about saving to pay it off, rather than looking forward. Memories will be of frustration, and disappointment, not friends, and pleasant times. Makes for a tough winter. I,m pissed soooo much.

I can certainly understand that point of view buddy. Unfortunately there is just no legal recourse for it, we've all been there. But when life gives us lemons . . .

It's up to us to always make the best of circumstances we deal with, which are many times far from ideal. That's the only way to 'win' at 'life' imo. So I hope you find yourself some silver lining until you get up and running, to come out better, stronger, happier.

And thanks for the experience shared here, you have helped others, and that is one silver lining to start with! :D

I am most sure there is a store in Toronto or GTA that will have a battery for you.
I just looked at a Google map for Canada Computers and my gosh you guys are crammed tight over there. I cant remember much cuz I was 5 when my family followed the oil west. A quick google search landed this link.
http://royalbatterysales.com/
A Walmart near had some drill battery packs for $10 on sale.

If I were you I would go to Home Depot and buy their EGO or ECO 54V battery pack and charger. Hopefully that meets your controllers requirement. That is the quickest and fastest way. Look at it this way, you will even have a warranty on it if you dont hack it all up. Plus its guarunteed to be safe and most likely has a BMS installed. I've been tempted to buy one a few times and perhaps I should have with my used A123 batteries I bought.

Another option and the one I am looking at currently is NKON, but you need to weld them yourself. Or solder them yourself. Which in your case would be sufficient. A soldering gun from Princess Auto is $22 for an adjustable Power Fist iron. A hold back would be the 18650 holders, but a glue gun would work if you arent gunna heat the cans up too much. Auckland Grainger has high heat epoxy you could use.

ebikes.ca has batteries but they are in Vancouver.
Luna Cycle is an option, they are in Washington state.
http://www.omgextras.com/batteries-s/1905.htm
USA - http://www.batteryspace.com/48V-Ebike-Battery.aspx
Toronto - http://www.upsbatterycenter.ca/home-batteries/ebike-batteries/daymak-batteries

lowbudget said:
So paypal is refunding my money, AT NO COST TO THE SELLER. Unbelievable. I get frocked and he makes money.
Yeah, it's annoying, but you'll soon forget all this once you're rolling. Karma usually catches up in the end too. Look at it as a satisfactory outcome and move on.

Satisfactory? Really? 5 months later, i,m waiting for a refund. I had to borrow $500 to order another battery. I may be mobile by August, if I,m lucky. All my plans are ruined, I have missed everything. I,m in the same place as I was in Feb, only in debt, with 2/3 as much battery, and nowhere to go. I have a brain injury, i can,t just head out on my own. I need specific destinations, and people I know at them. Took all winter to arrange, not gonna happen this year. I,m 125lbs, and exhausted, can,t focus, and forget what I,m doing every couple mins. It took me 3 days to replace hall sensors, and phase wires, maybe a 2 hour job? Now I have to build a new battery compartment, rewire, reengineer the bike etc. I was going to run 2 motors at 48v, with one CA. Now I have to run one motor on 36v, meaning different gearing, wiring, throttles, another CA?, controller programing, etc. More than I am likely to accomplish. More like a winters work. So no, I don,t find it satisfactory, and I probably won,t be moving on for a while, though your comments are certainly the way I would chose to go, were it not for my messedup noggin. I simply have nothing else, and have thought of nothing else, because it,s the only way I can accomplish anything. I did it all winter, it,s a full time job, and very tiring. I don,t eat, sleep well, etc. And end up in bed, or the hospital where I spent 6 weeks in march/april. I haven,t gained a lb since, and am simply too weak to jump into that state. Perhaps understanding what it takes for me to accomplish what would once have been a couple weekends project, will allow you to understand my difficulty dealing with it. I used to build motorcycles from scratch, frames, bodywork, everything. Now a bicycle is really too much, sucks.

I'll check where your battery is up to. I spoke to my staff today to get it out as soon as we can and i do believe it's just either shipped or is just about to.

I'll also have a quick look at the specifics of your battery order and see if i can help a little on the financial side of things :)

There's nothing that can be done about what has passed, so better to just let it go. To be fair, I don't think anyone was scamming you, it was just unfirtunate. If the only way a battery can be delivered at a certain price, is if it goes via regular postal service, via sea freight, then really, you are taking a pretty big chance of things arriving late. Even when things work out, it takes 8 weeks, but it might be 12 weeks before you even know that something is wrong. It's just not worth it. We stopped offering that kind of shipping a long time ago. It's just not worth the hassle that comes with it.

If you got your money back, smile and walk away.

Sorry to hear about your problems wish the best of luck to you.

Thanks Paul, you and your staff, have been great. I am a pain in the butt. One of the advantages? Of my disability, is that nothing sticks around for long. I get today, not so much yesterday, or tomorrow. I just need to get moving, and everything will improve. On my bike, I only have to stay upright, there are no other distractions, well, the CA occupies half my attention. Lol. I ride backroads and trails, slow, quiet, and all day. My mind can wander, and I relax, not my normal mental state. It,s the closest I get to being my old self. I can enjoy where I am, rather than being overwhelmed with distractions, i don,t have to remember anything except keeping my batteries charged. I pretty much planned to live on the thing this summer, and have two of everything, so I can keep going, when something breaks. I can fix anything, but controllers, on the road. With 2 12fets, running a handfull of amps each, not too big a worry. I need to figure out how to run one motor on 36v, and one on 48. They are geared to turn the same rpm. I don,t know if I can split the CA throttle signal, or if I need a double hall throttle, or ? I want the Ca controlling both motors, maybe i,ll have to wait on that till I can get another v3. Or, duh, I could run on only 36v, then switch to 48 when it,s low. The 25r cells will handle it, As long as I have a reasonable amp limit. I rarely need more than 20a, I,m all about gentle. I would need to lug my old battery, which is a half depleted, 32ah, lifepo hardcell pack, weighing like 25lbs. Maybe not such a good idea. Lol Ok, so back to 2 voltages, one throttle. Any thoughts? I,m wandering, better take a breath. Thanks again Paul,

Thanks amberwolf, do you mean the throttle grounds are connected, so the signal wire and ground from the throttle source are paralled to each controller?

Thanks again, I have it figured out. Tie battery and controller grounds, and put diodes in the throttle signal wires to the controllers. Thanks to Robbie at Grin. Also I got an email this morn, telling me that Paul has shipped my battery Fed ex. It should arrive Mon, or Tues. Thank you so much Paul, your generousity, and kindness, not to mention patience, is overwhelming. I have accomplished more in the last few days, than all spring and summer. I will have my battery compartment finished today, and only need a 5spd freewheel, and a spacer, to move my wheel over, so I can fit a disc, and sprocket, on the left. This is perfect, as otherwise I would have had to dish the wheel to center it. A couple days running wires, and I,m away!
Here,s a picture of my progress so far. Air hits the front of the box, runs under it and exits up around the bottom controller. It also flows up at the front and runs through a channel, where the satiator is, over the top controller. The outlet is in front of the 3spd igh I use for front gears. My Ca shunt, and dc converters, anything needing air and that is waterproof, goes under the box, and mounts to a steel sheet that runs on the bottom of the frame. Everything sealed and safe, but lots of airflow. The thing that will probably take the most time is getting the Ca set up, but I can ride and figure that out at the same time.. I can run either motor on 36 or 48v, or both on either voltage, or both on the same. I have replace phase wires with 12g, installed new halls, and thermistors in 3 motors, all with the good cluthches and gears (macs). 19" moped rim, 10g spokes ( too much I know but thats what it had). 203mm brakes, though I still need the caliper mounts. I have a cigarette lighter, 5v charging ports, turn signals and brake lights. Wish there were switches available for hydraulic ebrakes, hard to believe nobody has an easy, inexpensive, solution. Anyway I am in a space I rarely get to, and actually accomplishing something! Thanks to everyone.
Scott
Say how do you like my rear rack? A set of folding table legs brazed up in a couple hrs. I can carry a fridge! But its for my little dog.

Attachments

• IMG_20160717_5985.jpg
    IMG_20160717_5985.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,917
  • IMG_20160717_16272.jpg
    IMG_20160717_16272.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,917
  • IMG_20160717_4065.jpg
    IMG_20160717_4065.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,917
  • IMG_20160717_44541.jpg
    IMG_20160717_44541.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,917
I have a new battery! Woo Hoo! It,s a beautiful thing, and 2/3 the size of my 36v ping of 25% less capacity. Gotta love it. Not that my ping has been anything but excellent, just heavy. I got the last of the parts I need yesterday from grin, and am finally actually enjoying working on my bike. I will post about it once I finish it. Can,t waste time now! Lol. Maybe I better post tonight and each day from there, might be more informative, cause I forget stuff ya know.my battery compartment is looking great, really light but strong enough for a tumble. Oh there will be tumbling.
I can,t empathize enough, the quality of the people, products, and service, at both Grin, and em3ev. They have the good stuff,and have been so helpful, kind, and generous, I Love em! I,d be lost without them, and this place. Thanks everybody.

Scott

Back