Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Sure did, rode all day today!
The sound is very pleasant I would say. You know that pleasure of riding a totally silent DD? Well with this I had the same enjoyment Its is like riding a car with a nice engine, you like the sound of it.
I updated the manual here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=99248

Is it possible to purchase just the Sur-Ron frame in the U.S.? I like the idea of building a small electric motorcycle but I want better electronics than what the Sur-Ron ships with. I guess I could buy the Sur-Ron and replace the battery and controller, but that seems like a waist of money. Are there any other frames that are similar to the Sur-Ron? Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered, this topic is huge!

itsmark said:
Is it possible to purchase just the Sur-Ron frame in the U.S.? I like the idea of building a small electric motorcycle but I want better electronics than what the Sur-Ron ships with. I guess I could buy the Sur-Ron and replace the battery and controller, but that seems like a waist of money. Are there any other frames that are similar to the Sur-Ron? Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered, this topic is huge!

you might be able to get a Sur-Ron frame kit from Aebikes.com .. but by the time you build it up not likely to save money..

reference :
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99566#p1457931

itsmark said:

Not that I am aware of. Pretty sure the answer is no.

I would contact Luna about selling them back the battery and controller. I bet they would pay half value if new (they could strip them off before shipping it).

n2mb said:
daygr said:
Just picked up a Sur Ron, got delivered yesterday. Rode it around a bit today, and boy in the stock configuration this thing is a dog. I was definitely expecting a bit more power.

Surprising... I thought it was pretty quick stock, and I didn't gain much with the X controller.

What is your top speed using GPS with the 48T sprocket on the supermoto wheels? I've thought about switching from the 42T, but I didn't want to give up 45 mph top speed.

I've had a couple more days to ride it, and I still think it's kind of a dog... just comparing it to my experience with way-overpowered gas motorcycles it's quite lazy with the stock setup. Still, it's extremely fun in dirt, and easy to ride compared to something with a clutch and twice the weight. I like it a lot on dirt. On pavement it's too tame.

I didn't have a GPS on but I hit 46mph indicated on a flat-ish section of road with the 17" and 48t sprocket. It did not feel like 46mph, if I had to guess it was probably 38-40mph tops. I will try it with a GPS on tomorrow and report back.

Aebrennan said:
I find the bike crazy fast, especially with a 60t sprocket. Oh but this bike is ASI powered 72v

You went 107 kph using a 60T sprocket and 72V? wow. That's a huge difference. Normally, the 60T would only go about 60 kph on 60V, right?

Also, 6.6s 0-60 mph run is pretty damn good too!

I upgraded my brake pads to Shimano H03C metallic pads with heat sinks. These are a huge improvement over the stock pads, especially on long descents where the stock pads would fade severely. From what I've heard, just about any pads will be an improvement from the stock.

Img_1158.jpg

fechter said:
I upgraded my brake pads to Shimano H03C metallic pads with heat sinks. These are a huge improvement over the stock pads, especially on long descents where the stock pads would fade severely. From what I've heard, just about any pads will be an improvement from the stock.

Img_1158.jpg

Great! Do they fit stock calipers without modifications?

fechter said:

Img_1158.jpg

And how about squealing?

Offroader said:
Very nice, took my bike out for the first real ride since December since the weather was finally nice.

One thing I do notice is the bike is pretty loud. People will definitely think you are riding around a gas powered bike, its pretty damn loud and everyone looks. Hopefully the belt drive will help with this. I wonder if it is loud enough to slowly do hearing damage.

Ride an LMX and you know what really loud is :lol:
even without X-Controller ^^
will make some Drive by compare videos =)

n2mb said:
Great! Do they fit stock calipers without modifications?
Dropped right in with no mods. They only fit in one direction, which is opposite the markings, but they float freely. They might be a bit more toward the outside edge of the disk than stock but still on the disk.

And it got rid of the annoying squeaks.

The ones with the heat sinks were kind of spendy but for me it was worth it. They make organic pads with heat sinks too, which are a bit cheaper. Shimano H01A.

n2mb said:
Aebrennan said:
I find the bike crazy fast, especially with a 60t sprocket. Oh but this bike is ASI powered 72v

You went 107 kph using a 60T sprocket and 72V? wow. That's a huge difference. Normally, the 60T would only go about 60 kph on 60V, right?

Also, 6.6s 0-60 mph run is pretty damn good too!

66 mph is in line with what a acsi controller can give. The suron stock controller is weak as shit and the battery isn't that strong well at least compared to the motor. The motor can handle like 10-15 kw but the controller is putting out like 3300 watts and the battery I would'nt put more than 4-5k watts on. Not like my bike is anywhere close to as powerful since I am running 60v 35 amps on a regular mountain bike.

n2mb said:
3DTOPO said:
Luna is now separately selling the X Controller with regen:
https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-model-x-sine-wave-controller/

I don't think they have regen. I bought one, paid full price ($525) and it doesn't have regen. Also, very little increase in power over stock. Stock was 77 amps, X controller is 83 amps. It is slightly quieter.

It wasn't worth the work to remove it and send it back. If I had more time, maybe. But definitely wouldn't upgrade again.

Our new batch of bikes will have regen on the x-controllers, works after 15km/h
They updated the DNM forks as well so they will have mounting holes on it for their front fender. We will probably sell the bikes together with the fender.

I just got my EU version bike, but don't have regen and the controller is quite loud, plus I don't see the X mark on it. So I guess I got the crappy version.
Does anyone in the EU sell X controllers with regen, or is Luna the only place to buy them?

Otherwise the bike is great, very agile for such weight and climbs even the steepest of hills.
Such a joy to ride trails with this toy! :mrgreen:
ydEawm8.jpg

ELFdnRx.png

Yes, that's the older controller.

Can you post a closeup of the display on the handlebars? I don't think I've seen one like that.

fechter said:
Yes, that's the older controller.

Can you post a closeup of the display on the handlebars? I don't think I've seen one like that.
I'm too lazy to go my make my own photo :D
sur-ron_firefly_010.jpg

So, anyone in EU selling the X controllers with regen or Luna it is? I'd like to avoid the import fees and hassle with bureaucracy if possible.

Merlin said:
here is one for sale =)

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=99164

Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough to notice that Luna only offers "regen coasting". Looks like I'm in the same boat as you, I need an X controller that regen brakes downhill. I ride a lot of hills and want the extra range and less brake burning.

Thanks for posting the display picture. It looks like it has lights for the turn signal indicators and some other features.

Merlin said:
here is one for sale =)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=99164

Auto regen takes some getting used to. It's just like the Tesla. I would prefer it to only engage when you pull the brakes so you can still coast.

fechter said:
Auto regen takes some getting used to. It's just like the Tesla. I would prefer it to only engage when you pull the brakes so you can still coast.

I'd also love to have something like that, or maybe reverse throttle twist for regen.

Ok, so if anyone knows who I should contact, preferably in the EU, to buy an X controller (with regen braking), please let me know. Otherwise I'll just go emailing shops, hoping someone has them in stock and is not asking an arm and a leg.

Duncan75 said:
fechter said:

I'd also love to have something like that, or maybe reverse throttle twist for regen.

Ok, so if anyone knows who I should contact, preferably in the EU, to buy an X controller (with regen braking), please let me know. Otherwise I'll just go emailing shops, hoping someone has them in stock and is not asking an arm and a leg.

Sur-Ron uk has X controller on their web..
confirm with them if it has the "slip" regen or not..
better off with an ASI or similar aftermarket controller for programmable and rider activated regen, if that's what your after..

Duncan75 said:
fechter said:

Will have them in June.

Back