TEE_COZY'S Brushless Longboard

Batteries are done...
IMG_20141116_231446_zpsdfvgsykp.jpg

IMG_20141116_231509_zpsq451bsj6.jpg

Now its time for the next issue, i went looking for enclosures but none are going to be big/slim enough. I am thinking that velcro straps round the cells will be adequate, i see people doing this with lipoly's im not sure i would want a soft cell pack unprotected and that close to the ground. However these are much more durable that lipo's.....does anyone have any better ideas ? here is a picture to give you some idea of the size...
IMG_20141117_200320_zpsg5pux85h.jpg

IMG_20141117_200338_zpsolm37imk.jpg

Can you give some more details on those packs? I haven't really seen round cells except for on bikes.

Hello all,

rs4race - They are A123 systems cells they are kinda hard to get hold of (legit cells that is) i got a bulk buy of many cells. These were cells that were deemed dead i got 50 cells cheap then just took the good ones out. I will try recover the bad cells, unlike other lithium batteries these are not metaloxide based and dont have any carbon on the anode/cathode this means that you can 100% DOD (depth of discharge) without damaging the cells. Here is the datasheet http://www.a123systems.com/Collateral/Documents/English-US/A123 Systems ANR26650 Data Sheet.pdf voltage range is 2-3.6V.

Torqueboards - I will put some neoprene sheet on the board to dampen them a bit..... sommin like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADHESIVE-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1c3906b265 I did solder the cells using some deans probars and that hefty new iron i showed on this post, i have done loads of nimh sub-c cells in the past with my normal iron and it is painful....the new iron is bliss ;)

okp - I will eventually make a cover but i am going to use a small enclosure for the electronics so it will probably be done last :)

I have got some more stuff on the way....

Wiiceiver - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=51&products_id=277 i was going to make my own but i could not be bothered since there are a few good options out there.
Enclosure for the electronics.
Velcro
Nyko kama remote (i may have to mod the crap outta this and put a li-ion in it...i cannot stand using aaa's)

Next job is to cut the keyway in the motor, my mate has a milling machine so i may be able to borrow that. Then i will make up some hold down brackets for the batteries.

Got some more bits !
IMG_20141120_184755_zpsuut0vhqo.jpg

I found some scrap aluminium plates that i will use to make the Velcro brackets/hold downs they look about 4mm thick.
IMG_20141120_184804_zpsrlqvmbiu.jpg

I also cut the keyway on the motor shaft, not bad since it was done with my dremel.
IMG_20141120_184601_zpszgyc92x8.jpg

IMG_20141120_184737_zpskl12y1nn.jpg

+ some fancy braiding i had about from my RC stuff.
IMG_20141120_190609_zpsghlv5u8m.jpg

TEE_COZY said:
Evening all,

Time for the next bit :)

Got the bigger motor bracket now along with some solder paste and some more solder.
IMG_20141112_173228_zpsmw0ihamh.jpg

IMG_20141112_173829_zpsxzosmczr.jpg

Dont forget loctight !
IMG_20141112_175905_zpsubtsswk3.jpg

IMG_20141112_180352_zpsgwiwqapb.jpg

IMG_20141112_180456_zpswnsifrte.jpg

Richard - the belt fit with plenty of slack :)
IMG_20141112_180534_zpszzwsxa5i.jpg

The kit went together for a test fit really easy and is really well made, now i am getting very impatient to test this thing...but i will have to restrain myself until it is perfect.

IMG_20141112_181207_zpspadf7moa.jpg

Next step is to assemble some batteries and cut a keyway in the motor shaft .....

How does the gear attach to the wheel?

mortifiedMORTY said:
Those are really nice looking batteries. This will be about 86v? What kind of range do you expect?

They are going to be run in 12s2p configuration, 40V ish at 4.6Ah .... i hope to get at least 8miles of range although i am not entirely sure on what i will get.

UPDATE time !

For some reason this project has become a trickle build, i have been doing little and often to this and am getting closer to the finish.

Firstly the wii nunchuck i have received is crap, i have had two so far and neither dongle will power on :( yet the receiver from homann designs works well with a wired nunchuck. For initial testing i will use one of my rc remotes until i get it sorted.....or just get one of the alien drive systems 2.4GHz transmitters when they are finalized :)

Got the ESC mounted
IMG_20141211_185720_zps2cexruv1.jpg

Created a bigger cap bank to deal with and current spikes.
IMG_20141214_151406_zpsjipsdkfk.jpg

IMG_20141214_153228_zpsilfhqyzb.jpg

IMG_20141214_153236_zpshecnpvyl.jpg

IMG_20141214_154227_zpscd8uvewe.jpg

got the enclosure mounted and the BEC/ voltmeter in.
IMG_20141215_184250_zpswiisorcg.jpg

IMG_20141215_184255_zpsbsyj5u63.jpg

Also got the battery bars cut and fitted.
IMG_20141216_180916_zpshmqzaf3q.jpg

Next steps - Create a wiring harness to hook up all 4 battery packs and then bench test the thing !

Worked out the resistor needed for my cap bank...

1 time constant = CR = 8010uF*470R = 3.8 S ............ after 2 time constants (7.6 seconds) the cap bank should be at roughly 85% capacity

total instantaneous current (at max voltage) = v/r = 43.2V/470 = 92mA

instantaneous power = v*i = 43.2v*92mA = 4W

So to be on the safe side and not generate too much heat i will use a 6W 470R :)

looking very nicely made...
the nunchuck is a dangerous piece of kit mate ( it nearly ripped my knee out of joint) .,.i would stick well away from it.. standard rc handsets are tried and tested...easier to just put one in a smaller case like i do..or wait for Bruno's handset..

since I see you went on with the plane/heli ESC...
TEE_COZY said:
Oh dear......you mean crazy drag brake? will it not coast without any throttle ?
a similar ESC behaved with "crazy drag brake" with "brake : ON" as soon as you release it to neutral
same ESC will let you coast in neutral if "brake is OFF" but I think you mentionned some "band brake" at the beginning or you reprogrammed the ESC maybe...

beetbocks said:
looking very nicely made...
the nunchuck is a dangerous piece of kit mate ( it nearly ripped my knee out of joint) .,.i would stick well away from it.. standard rc handsets are tried and tested...easier to just put one in a smaller case like i do..or wait for Bruno's handset..

Just pre ordered Brunos TX :) it looks good, i cannot seem to find many photos of it tho.

made_in_the_alps_legacy said:
TEE_COZY said:
Oh dear......you mean crazy drag brake? will it not coast without any throttle ?
a similar ESC behaved with "crazy drag brake" with "brake : ON" as soon as you release it to neutral
same ESC will let you coast in neutral if "brake is OFF" but I think you mentionned some "band brake" at the beginning or you reprogrammed the ESC maybe...

I will run initial tests on it, i will probably run with the brake off for a while before doing any mods. Im fairly sure i can hack the chip with some home brew pogo pins directly on the atmel......but i dont want to break it lol.

Got the radio gear in and starting to test it
IMG_20141221_225331_zpsrm0pn7ri.jpg

IMG_20141222_193308_zps8odwuvsw.jpg

IMG_20141222_193338_zpsl2u6vvmx.jpg

IMG_20141222_193244_zpszbovy4cx.jpg

And this thing is an absolute torque monster....i have played around with the esc settings and got the throttle response where i want it.

BRAKES - there is none .... the brakes for this heli ESC is on the moment the throttle is returned to natural. I had it set to hard brakes which is fine at low RPM's but the moment you start to push it and back right off the power the board tries to throw you off the front....which at 20+mph is terrifying.

Apart from that i had managed to hit top end throttle on half charged packs, i will fully charge the packs then set my phone to track my speed and distance on a fresh set of batteries. I may make some lights and wire them into a receiver switch so i can turn them on/off from my remote. Also waiting patiently for my new TX from Bruno !!!

beto_pty said:
Awesome ESC choice.. love it however be warned it does not have a brake, so you'll be footbraking or sliding to a halt unless you add an external band/disk brake
cool setup... it will fly on 12s... :D
newbie is warned...

TEE_COZY said:
Crazy drag brake yup...

razad7@gmail.com said:
I agree,
you should understand that this ESC does not have a brake.
One of the eboard's best options is the brake in my opinion.
Is you intention indeed a 'non-brake' skate?
...warned again...

okp said:
no brake, means... a regular visit to the shoes store !
...again...

made_in_the_alps_legacy said:
TEE_COZY said:
same ESC will let you coast in neutral if "brake is OFF"
...again...

TEE_COZY said:
BRAKES - there is none .... the brakes for this heli ESC is on the moment the throttle is returned to natural. I had it set to hard brakes which is fine at low RPM's but the moment you start to push it and back right off the power the board tries to throw you off the front....which at 20+mph is terrifying.

"not-so-newbie" llearns... and fortunately survives..
Good to see you made it... have some scars on my elbows from that particular bucket of fun..

:D

Hi
Please to see you survived your first e-fall...lol.. I've had several..
Could you remind me what setup you have on kit..did I send you a 32t bracket? With which size belt? I have a customer with a similar motor..regards Richard

beetbocks said:
Hi
Please to see you survived your first e-fall...lol.. I've had several..
Could you remind me what setup you have on kit..did I send you a 32t bracket? With which size belt? I have a customer with a similar motor..regards Richard

Yeah i know i learnt the hard way but i know i can fix it, there are a few threads on forums about reprogramming the atmel chip on the esc i just have to work out if it is worth the effort/risk. At the end of the day the board is not used for commuting and i feel comfortable with it at speed, i am getting the hang of real speed checks now anyway so its not a real biggy...only time will tell !

Richard the belt is a 270mm with a 36/12 running on the larger mount, the setup is perfect.

okp said:
this make me want to get back to the medium acceleration setting on the ESC. It was so much powerful :)
i think you will be ok now with the Flysky remote..try it..I dare you ..lol..:)

@TEECOZY - Where did you purchase your cell packs from? Those packs are pretty nice just simply like a regular lipo pack just using lithium ion. If they aren't too expensive I may make a few of those to try them out. How are yours working out for you?

torqueboards said:
@TEECOZY - Where did you purchase your cell packs from? Those packs are pretty nice just simply like a regular lipo pack just using lithium ion. If they aren't too expensive I may make a few of those to try them out. How are yours working out for you?

You can get the cells out of dewalt battery packs this site gives a tutorial http://www.slkelectronics.com/DeWalt/packs.htm There are also a few places that sell the individual cells, however there are a lot of fakes you need to do your research.

Datasheet:
http://www.a123systems.com/Collateral/Documents/English-US/A123%20Systems%20ANR26650%20Data%20Sheet.pdf

A123 cells are lifepo4 and some odd nanophosphate technology for the cathode, as i understand it they dont degrade like normal cells allowing many more cycles on your packs. In experiance i feel like they dont get as warm and dont drop capacity overtime like all my lipo packs have...im halfway though a RC monstertruck build that will use these.

Ran the board a couple of times round the block today while using a GPS tracker on my phone...
31c0d64c-02b1-4227-a021-bdd91216ced5_zpsc44b5b1e.png

06c5d7e4-2962-4af7-9f3a-e3672c20d1cb_zps3818733d.png

a289f66a-b830-475f-a6b3-4ecbe694a84c_zps9d881cd9.png

I think i will get some larger pulleys, at the moment i am running a 12/36 this gives me...
Untitled_zps75c35ef4.png

with a 14/36 i should get...
Untsitled_zpsd58fc57e.png

This is all at nominal voltage.

Im not 100% sure that a 14t pulley will fit but i think it would be worth a try.

Back