• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Tern Vektron D8, Bafang M400 (G330.250)

billd

1 µW
I recently acquired a Tern Vektron D8 that I would like to get a little more performance from. There are three modifications I'm considering. I'd appreciate comments on whether these will work or not before I try. It may save me a lot of trial and error.

1. Replace the stock display with a DPC-18. I am hoping this will let me reprogram the speed limit from 20mph to 30mph. (My backup plan if this won't work is to build a circuit that sits in the speed sensor line and saturates at 19mph - i.e., gives the correct speed from 0-19 and then stays at 19 for all higher speeds).

2. Replace the stock 52T chainring with a 60T chainring. This will reduce my cadence at 30mph from about 107 (too fast for me) to about 90 (high but reasonable).

3. Using a USB to Bafang cable and the open-source software, reprogram the current limit in the controller from 7A to 10A. My understanding is that there is no difference other than this setting between the 330.250 and the 330.350.

Please let me know your thoughts on these modifications - particularly if you have tried something similar.

I am trying to improve the performance of my Bafang Max drive M400 G330.250. I have the programming tool set up and have recorded the "stock" settings. The bike only has five assist levels but the program shows 9 levels. I am wondering if I shouldn't bump up the settings for levels 2-5 so what was originally 3 is now 2, ie. 3->2, also 5->3, 7->4, and 9->5. That way I would get 100% current at assist level 5 rather than the 42% I currently have. Any advice?

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

The 400er has what...250W? Ok, peak naybe 500?

IMG_20190902_063638.jpg

How should that works...? 🤔😉

I've recently acquired an ebike with the same motor and would like to know if you got anywhere with this? I'm interested in removing the speed limits on each assistance level, just that. I have yet to buy the cable, but reading a bit about this topic, it seems it's possible to brick the controller and/or display... If you were able to alter the settings successfully please let me know which cable and software you used exactly, thanks!

Back