Tesla Model 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
lester12483 said:
Over 350k reservations for the new Model 3. Hopefully Tesla can meet demand and actually make a profit.

Beautiful car.
325k +

But yes very good.

I think the big number is good and it can help reduce cost!
They can borrow against the potential sales total 14+ billion if they need to tool up the factory!

Its going to be a rough road but a very exciting journey!

We ordered 2 :)

If they only sell 1/3 of the cars people have reserved, they will have more than doubled their cumulative sales up to this point. Thanks to all the folks who have preordered. I thought about it, but will not likely put my reservation in for a month or two longer. That should give Tesla enough time to fix some major mechanical issues and bugs that will come with the first few months' production. My buddy has had two Model S sedans, and his second is MARKEDLY better than his first, and not just because he went from P85 to a P85D. His first one ate through $1200 tires in 10k miles. His second one on the same tires is doing much better. I'm sure the 3 will have similar issues. The good news is Tesla is insanely good with customer service for my buddy, I can only hope this service will carry over for the future 3 owners as well.

The other side of this coin is that the major automakers have surely taken notice. I can only imagine the plans being sent down the chain of command in order to poach a large number of these “eager customers” with something resembling a decent EV.

Game on!

Ykick said:
The other side of this coin is that the major automakers have surely taken notice. I can only imagine the plans being sent down the chain of command in order to poach a large number of these “eager customers” with something resembling a decent EV.

Game on!
I doubt it. They wont have time to get something good together.

Mikebergy said:
If they only sell 1/3 of the cars people have reserved, they will have more than doubled their cumulative sales up to this point. Thanks to all the folks who have preordered. I thought about it, but will not likely put my reservation in for a month or two longer. That should give Tesla enough time to fix some major mechanical issues and bugs that will come with the first few months' production. My buddy has had two Model S sedans, and his second is MARKEDLY better than his first, and not just because he went from P85 to a P85D. His first one ate through $1200 tires in 10k miles. His second one on the same tires is doing much better. I'm sure the 3 will have similar issues. The good news is Tesla is insanely good with customer service for my buddy, I can only hope this service will carry over for the future 3 owners as well.
They are getting smarter and better with every model they bring out.

I think it will be ok. They plan to deliver to close to the factory first so any of the problems can be dealt with as fast as possible

"Tesla already lowering Model 3 expectations for two key features"
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/tesla-already-lowering-model-3-expectations-two-key-194258835.html

In fact, Tesla even changed the supercharging verbiage on its website following the Model 3's unveiling. Whereas "Supecharging" was initially listed as one of the Model 3's features, it has since been changed to "Supercharging Capable."

In another example, the first incarnation of the Model 3 webpage said that the car will feature "Autopilot Safety Features." Now it simply reads that the Model 3 will come with "Autopilot Hardware", seemingly implying that users will have to pay extra to get Autopilot safety features turned on.

Arlo1 said:
Ykick said:

Game on!
I doubt it. They wont have time to get something good together.

Time will surely tell but history tells of Japanese leaders expressing a similar thought before Pearl Harbor. Afterwards, many realized they'd merely woken a sleeping giant...

Fact is, Tesla must multiply production 10x for any hope of meeting this demand. 300k units be a lot of cars. I'm certainly pulling for them and confident the company will do fine. As will all of us with better and more choices across the board...

There is competition already in the size/price EV sector..and oseveral more under development.
Nissan, Ford, GM, VW, BMW, to name a few. The main difference the Tesla has is its range.
But it would not be a major change for a manufacturer to install a higher capacity pack in a revised model
A lot can change in the time it takes to et the Model 3 into the showrooms.

Hillhater said:
There is competition already in the size/price EV sector..and oseveral more under development.
Nissan, Ford, GM, VW, BMW, to name a few. The main difference the Tesla has is its range.
But it would not be a major change for a manufacturer to install a higher capacity pack in a revised model

If you take the current leaf the current Bolt the current VW and Even the BMW and build them as ICE powered cars they are $17,000-$20,000 cars.
If you take the Model 3 and make it an ICE powered car its still a $35,000 car.

The model 3 is a nice car with very cool features.

Hehe... While companies race to market with the bettery-electric automobile (with "cars" increasing banned in urban areas) designed as a large, heavy and expensive vehicle to go much faster than most urban speed limits, one Ebike Pundit crystal balls the rise of the ("tiny", so far more energy efficient) modern bicycle, or "ebike".

Arlo1 said:
Hillhater said:

If you take the current leaf the current Bolt the current VW and Even the BMW and build them as ICE powered cars they are $17,000-$20,000 cars.
If you take the Model 3 and make it an ICE powered car its still a $35,000 car.

The model 3 is a nice car with very cool features.

$35k as an ice ?...hard to say for a car that has not yet been finally specified
"Features" are very much a personal choice . Tesla doesnt have anything one of the Big players cannot easily offer, and they can even transfer the EV technology to another model/body style in their ranges (hatch, coupe, waggon etc) , if necessary !
Range/pack size is the one area that may be key to customer choice, and there it is difficult to guess what can happen.
The big players could simply stuff a 100kWhr pack in a revised or new model EV, to get into the 200 mile range market,....but then again , Tesla may up the stakes with the new cell format when the Giga factory comes on line, with another leap in pack capacity. ,
Of course, the Supercharger network is also a big draw for Tesla buyers.

Hillhater said:
"Features" are very much a personal choice . Tesla doesnt have anything one of the Big players cannot easily offer, and they can even transfer the EV technology to another model/body style in their ranges (hatch, coupe, waggon etc) , if necessary !
Range/pack size is the one area that may be key to customer choice, and there it is difficult to guess what can happen.
The big players could simply stuff a 100kWhr pack in a revised or new model EV, to get into the 200 mile range market,....but then again , Tesla may up the stakes with the new cell format when the Giga factory comes on line, with another leap in pack capacity. ,

You're right, they could theoretically put a bigger pack in some existing design. Unfortunately this increases the price.. Tesla have been working towards lowering the cost of the pack for many years now, no other manufacturer is in this position and that's the key. GM can make something at the same price point, but if a much greater proportion of the vehicle is in raw cells then that's going to be overall a much worse car to actually own. Fit and finish, value add features (autopilot etc) all fall away and you're left with a chintzy plastic interior with a big battery. No thanks. Much is made of GM's scale and apparently this magically makes it cheaper to produce cars. In reality I'd be surprised if this was an advantage at all. They have a LOT of accumulated baggage and distraction. Tesla are focused and fresh.

Why did I order a tesla over say a Bolt or a Leaf? Because the offerings from GM and Nissan are hideous, slow and just generally undesirable vehicles. As Arlo said - they're cheap cars that cost lots 'because EV'. Trust me, I TRIED to talk myself into liking the leaf, I went and test drove one and that thought deflated quickly. It would be such a substantial downgrade in every respect from my current vehicle that I couldn't do it. I'll put another couple of years worth of miles on my current ride and sell it once the Model 3 arrives and rejoice that I will have nothing ICE powered remaining. I wish I could do it sooner, but there were no real options before the Model 3.

Hillhater said:
$35k as an ice ?...hard to say for a car that has not yet been finally specified
Here is what we know about the Model 3
We know its a nicer car both inside and out.
We know it has a bit more range
We know it has all the Autonomous driving systems and safety features installed from factory.
We know it has supercharging access
We know it is fast with 0-60 in the 5s which makes it a more powerful motor
We know it will be more efficient
We know it will be more comfortable
We know Elon wants to compete with cars like the BMW M3
We know it will have amazing options for upgrades.
We know its ~$2500 less then the bolt
We know it has more cargo space
We know Tesla has been trying to help the transition to EVs while GM has been trying to prevent it!
We know this car is Elon's real baby as he wanted this car to help make the actual transition happen.

GM just took and shoved an expensive battery in the Sonic and called it a day.
Tesla design a car from ground up.

I think the 325,000+ deposits speak for them selves.

Really like the fact that so many people deposited for a model 3, but I am worried tesla might run into trouble when trying to get all these cars out on the market as fast as possible.
If I recall correctly they had some milestone last year when 100k modelS had been manufactured or sold. And thats from several years of production. Now they have to push out 300k+ vehicles to customers that want the car "yesterday". Time will tell how this unfolds. I am hoping they can keep it all together.

nicobie said:
It's a shame that model 3 owners won't be able to use their supercharger network for free.

Volt monthly sales are about to overtake Tesla monthly sales numbers.

Wrong on both statements.

NON of the supercharging is free!!!

If you buy a model S or a model X they add a bunch of money into the sale to cover the supercharging.

Do you want the baseline model 3 to cost more? Or use less awesome features because they needed to save ~$2500 from the cost to cover your "included" supercharging in the price?

Do you want all the spodes who buy model 3s to get unlimited access to superchargers? Meaning they will drive a few blocks and charge for free rather then at home where it might cost them $4?

I don't! Tesla has a problem with this already with the model S customers.

The volt sales are higher for the month of may because something happened at the Tesla factory and they are down on production numbers just for the month of may. Elon just had a video where he talks about the things that have help up deliveries from their suppliers and its ridiculous. Even mentioned 1 time when they had a truck with carpet held at the Mexican boarder because there was a shootout at the boarder and the truck had bullet holes in it!

?.....Meaning they will drive a few blocks and charge for free rather then at home where it might cost them $4?....
.........! Tesla has a problem with this already with the model S customers.
I find it incredulous that anyone with an income to support the purchace of a $100+k car, would then spend time and effort to go out of their way to save $4 ! :shock:

Hillhater said:
?.....Meaning they will drive a few blocks and charge for free rather then at home where it might cost them $4?....
.........! Tesla has a problem with this already with the model S customers.
I find it incredulous that anyone with an income to support the purchace of a $100+k car, would then spend time and effort to go out of their way to save $4 ! :shock:
There is videos of elon talking about this. Its not just the $4 and rememebr its more like $6 with the model s/x but its also a time thing where they can charge it faster and some times they might be saving on the install of a charging outlet in their garages etc.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/19/tesla-superchargers-letter/

Arlo1 said:
Wrong on both statements.

Hey... I'm not knocking Tesla. I like them. If they would have had a car that was available and fit my needs and sold for $24k (after rebates), I would have bought one. The Volt I bought instead is perfect for me. I bought it in mid October and still have over ½ tank of the original gas it came with. It came with a charger that I can use anywhere there is 120V, and gives me 60+ miles range. The ICE motor, which I rarely need will give another 380 miles. Enough for the long trips I take about 4 times a year.

At this point it's not sure if the Tesla 3 owners will even be allowed to use the superchargers without buying a extra "package", which would make going on trips over 200 miles impossible without it. That means that most everyone will have to pay extra for the option, driving up the sales price even more.

I really wish Elon well, but I don't see how he is going to meet his production and price goals much less keep up payments on his outrageous debt load. Not a stock I'd recommend.

nicobie said:
Hey... I'm not knocking Tesla. I like them. If they would have had a car that was available and fit my needs and sold for $24k (after rebates), I would have bought one. The Volt I bought instead is perfect for me. I bought it in mid October and still have over ½ tank of the original gas it came with. It came with a charger that I can use anywhere there is 120V, and gives me 60+ miles range. The ICE motor, which I rarely need will give another 380 miles. Enough for the long trips I take about 4 times a year.

At this point it's not sure if the Tesla 3 owners will even be allowed to use the superchargers without buying a extra "package", which would make going on trips over 200 miles impossible without it. That means that most everyone will have to pay extra for the option, driving up the sales price even more.

I really wish Elon well, but I don't see how he is going to meet his production and price goals much less keep up payments on his outrageous debt load. Not a stock I'd recommend.
Bahahaha

You will be able to pay as you need to supercharge which is less then 3 times a year for me. So we are talking a few bucks to supercharge. I want them to do that.
Keeps the price of the car down while keeping the lineups at the superchargers shorter and makes the battery last longer charging it over night most of the time.

As for a stock I would recommend it for a long term investment for sure. IN fact you want to put a little wager on this? I bet you they produce more then 300k model 3s in 2018 they said they are aiming for 400k in 2018. Put your money where your mouth is. ;)

nicobie said:
Arlo1 said:
Put your money where your mouth is. ;)

:mrgreen:

I already did.

I bought a Volt.

:p :p :p

A waste of money to support a corrupt corporation like GM while still being stuck burring gasoline great choice :roll:

Hey don't pick on the Volt! :D Volt owner and Model 3 reservation holder here. The GF will get the Volt when the Tesla shows up. I need to keep a tow vehicle around :lol:. I don't think the model 3 will be able to tow a motorcycle or two very far. Looking forward to relaxing on my way to work and back with the Tesla!

Tesla Model 3 performance, specs, and news:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/tesla-model-3-rumors-news-014002055.html

(Begins:)
Tesla’s Model 3 is one of the most eagerly anticipated vehicles ever. With hundreds of thousands of pre-orders worth upwards of $10 billion, it seems as though the whole world can’t wait to get its hands on the brand’s entry-level model.

Here’s what we know about the Model 3 — Tesla’s most affordable model — ahead of its scheduled production sometime in 2017.

STILL no word on how hard it'll be to pedal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back