• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

* * * The 1000 Mile Club * * *

safe

1 GW
This one should be easy. It doesn't matter how long it takes or how fast you went to get there... as soon as you reach a thousand miles on a single bike you can join this club.

:arrow: I just crossed 1000 miles today... :D

If you are above 1000 miles up to 10,000 miles then go ahead and post that here. Above 10,000 miles and there should be another club created and the "founding member" should be the one to create the thread.

My USPD has done 12,000 miles! it has just come off the bike for a bit of a service and I am hub motor powered for a while, 12,000 miles thats pretty good I think and its still working great.

Cheers

Knoxie

Uh yeah - some time back:)

knoxie said:
My USPD has done 12,000 miles! it has just come off the bike for a bit of a service and I am hub motor powered for a while, 12,000 miles thats pretty good I think and its still working great.

Well then someone needs to create a:

:idea: * * * 10,000 Mile Club * * * :idea:

...and be the "founding member". I've done at least 100,000 miles on motorcycles (on several different bikes), but I'm new to the electric bike.

What would be impressive is if anyone has actually done 100,000 miles on a single bike. That's a lot of miles and would take years to do. (and by the time you were done most of the parts would have been replaced)

CGameProgrammer said:
I've never done 100,000 miles on a car.

I think 10,000 miles is a pretty high bar to clear for electric bikes since you tend to not go as far with each ride as with a car. It's not very hard to rack up 2000 miles in a few days if you drive cross country in a car.

It's hard for me to say, but I'm pretty sure that I've done 100,000 miles on a single car. I bought a car that had 60,000 miles on it and then ended up giving it to one of my brothers for free at 160,000 miles or close to it.

Count me into the 1000 mile club. I also set a personal record by hitting a 60.5km/h average speed on the way home from work. 32m 34s trip time, my best ever.

I've done 97,000 miles on a car before trading it in, but I don't expect to ever keep a car long enough to do that again, at least not for a while. It's more fun to buy something new every few years.

I've got 1250 miles on my 408. Not one problem. The same sla batteries, one year old now.

2200 mi and counting on a Lepton. 22 mi commute 4-5 days a week for about 6 months (I wimp out in the rain). a little over 100 cycles on the lead before a brief stint with LiFe. 40Ahr of LiFe added about 50% range, 3mph to top speed and dropped 90lbs.

---------

I'm also in the 100mph EV club http://www.nedra.com/100mph_club.html , probably with less than 10 miles on that bike.

1,500 miles on my crystalyte 5304. No flats or other serious problems save for a couple dozen melted and ruptured lithium 18650's during early testing (out of 300+, not too shabby I'd say :) )

xyster said:
1,500 miles on my crystalyte 5304. No flats or other serious problems save for a couple dozen melted and ruptured lithium 18650's during early testing (out of 300+, not too shabby I'd say :) )

Umm.. 1500 miles using ONE pack (+ a few replacements) of 18650 cells?!

:shock:

How long is your average round-trip? How much longer do you expect this pack to last?

Much obliged,

-S

Umm.. 1500 miles using ONE pack (+ a few replacements) of 18650 cells?! :shock:

Yes. Why is this shocking? The pack's not even a year old yet.
How long is your average round-trip?
Wide variance -- anywhere from 5 miles to 35 miles. I'd say 10 mile average trip; 50 miles per week.

How much longer do you expect this pack to last?

I expect it to last at least 3 more years, by which time capacity of the 33 AH pack will be down perhaps 50% to 16 AH.

Towards this goal, I recharge once or twice per week at a 1.5 amp, 0.05C rate to ~4.15V (after the cells drain to ~3.8V which takes 30-50 miles of riding); I keep the bike in my usually-cool garage; I monitor the voltage of each subpack individually as well as the whole pack and re-balance each recharge.

In short, I try to treat the 300 cells like Tesla treats their ~6,800 cell packs of 18650s. Laptop lithium cells often fail after 12-18 months because of the high temperature environment, and the almost constant charging to 4.2V.

I'll be crossing 1500 miles soon... I'm to near 1375 right now.. On a good day I do two "moto's" (like in racing terms) of about 30 - 45 minutes each and that gets me to about 15 miles each time. So I've been able to put on about 30 miles a day. Each "moto" is ridden at full speed and by the time it's over my arms are "pumped" and I've had a good exercise. Now when I go to the gym I'm able to lift lot's of extra weight compared to when I wasn't riding. The "Road Racer" position is an excellent workout even though my legs aren't used much. With pedals you would get an upper body and a lower body workout... very complete... :wink:

I'm in...Never did have an odometer until the other day.A really conservative estimate calculation would be...

3 miles daily X 300 days a year = 900 X 3 years = 2700 miles. (65 days off per year for really crappy weather)

That's with the old setup and original batteries 36v 9AH SLA,only one flat tire the whole time.

I've only gone around 100 or so miles with the new setup.

Eric

Just worked out I must now qualify use to do 600 K /month in car and now using bike for same trips and at a week short of 3 months I calculate 1650 Km or 1025 miles

I am at 1000km, I know I know, still have a ways to go.

3568 miles on my now modified Currie e-ride mtn bike and 3600 miles on my e-EZ Sport CX recumbent. Both are still USPD powered.

Charlie

Just turned 1000 last Sunday. I even took pictures! :lol:
I'll post those later.

Finally made it officially to 2000 miles today.

It would be great to get 10,000 miles out of the batteries if that's possible. I'm usually not going below 12 volts on the discharge so the batteries are being taken good care of. We will see...

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
"Dreaming is free."

Most discussions about SLA batteries involve the use of deep discharge. With deep discharge (like going all the way down to 10 volts) your batteries life is reduced to about 500 cycles. At only 12 volts discharge that's pretty shallow and should not wear the battery very much.

I've got 86 lbs of SLA batteries... most people that use SLA are using about half that... so longer life is possible.

At 2000 miles I see no decrease in the battery at all.

Car batteries last a long time because they are never discharged very deeply...

Back