The Cycle Satiator, universal charger for the enthusiasts

captain387 said:
I received my Satiator v7 in January 2020, it charges a 12 volt car battery.

Yes that matches the widest-range specs given for model# 4808

Nominally labeled "24V-52V"

output range 12-63V @8A

Note if 12V usage is the main goal, the model#

2415 "12-24V" unit

delivers nearly twice as fast a charge @15A, but

only up to 24V (all Satiators limited to 360W) and

with a max output of 36V

john61ct said:
captain387 said:
I received my Satiator v7 in January 2020, it charges a 12 volt car battery.

Yes that matches the widest-range specs given for model# 4808

Nominally labeled "24V-52V"

output range 12-63V @8A

Note if 12V usage is the main goal, the model#

2415 "12-24V" unit

delivers nearly twice as fast a charge @15A, but

only up to 24V (all Satiators limited to 360W) and

with a max output of 36V

Hi John,

That is my understanding as well, and yes the model number would have been helpful, you are correct it is the 4808.
I plan to use it as a 12 volt car battery once everyone few years when its -20c and the battery dies from trying to start the car.
Main use will be for my two bikes with one running at 36 volts and the other at 48 volts.

My post was mainly for "xtinctionRebeller" to confirm that yes, the 24/36/48 (model 4808) Satiator also charges a 12 volt car battery.

J

Unless Justin gives corrections, pretty sure this update is now correct:

#2415 "12-24V" max output 36V @15A max

#4808 "24V-52V" output range 12-63V @8A max

#7205 "36V-84V" outputs 20-103V @4-5A

All are limited to 360W, overrides the max current spec

We still do not know how low a V the #2415 model can go, nor the actual current max on #7205

john61ct said:
We still do not know how low a V the #2415 model can go, nor the actual current max on #7205
max 5A.

That was the max Ampere my 7205 was putting out and IIRC its quite clearly stated in the specs and manual (max 103V, max 5A, max 360W). "7205" should give a slight hint, as well... ;)

btw, thanks Amberwolf for clearing things up!

john61ct said:
Unless Justin gives corrections, pretty sure this update is now correct:

#2415 "12-24V" max output 36V @15A max

#4808 "24V-52V" output range 12-63V @8A max

#7205 "36V-84V" outputs 20-103V @4-5A

All are limited to 360W, overrides the max current spec

Hey john61ct, which Satiator do you use? Mines an original 4808.

Hey Guys, Just got the 72v Grin Cycle Satiator in the mail. It has an XLR connector, which is different than my scooter and bike. I cut the cord to splice with my other cord but found that the charger has 3 wires, White, Black and Yellow, but the plug that fits my bike has only two, red and black. Which should I connect to which and what happens with the third wire? When I touch the black and white wires with the multimeter, I get 3.7 volts, and when I do any other combination with the yellow wire I get 1.5 volts...

I never cut dc output cables. I prefer to make adapters. Satiator page has several already configured. That said Google is our friend...
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60169&p=981017&hilit=Satiator+signal+wire#p981017

Attachments

• 3ED5DEF7-B08B-4B77-9492-65B5AD6D1FC0.jpeg
    3ED5DEF7-B08B-4B77-9492-65B5AD6D1FC0.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,692
  • 9A167A93-2321-4E9C-82B2-D8F6AD470F5E.jpeg
    9A167A93-2321-4E9C-82B2-D8F6AD470F5E.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 1,690
Assuming a good connector I agree

but ciggie ports always chop chop and sometimes SAE too

synics said:
Hey Guys, Just got the 72v Grin Cycle Satiator in the mail. It has an XLR connector, which is different than my scooter and bike. I cut the cord to splice with my other cord but found that the charger has 3 wires, White, Black and Yellow, but the plug that fits my bike has only two, red and black. Which should I connect to which and what happens with the third wire? When I touch the black and white wires with the multimeter, I get 3.7 volts, and when I do any other combination with the yellow wire I get 1.5 volts...
Instead of cutting the cable (which prevents you from being able to ever program it via computer (vs the front panel buttons) or update it's firmware), why not just buy the adapter for it with the charger? (and why not check what connector something has before you buy it?)

Grin tech has quite a few, and one probably fits your charger port.
https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-satiator.html

If you don't want to, or they don't have one that fits yours, you should check teh manual or the product page for the pinout of the XLR, then use your meter to measure continuity from the XLR pins to wires on it's cable remnant. Then you can match colors there, and know which pins are which.

john61ct said:
Assuming a good connector I agree

but ciggie ports always chop chop and sometimes SAE too

Which Satiator are you using?

amberwolf said:
synics said:
Instead of cutting the cable (which prevents you from being able to ever program it via computer (vs the front panel buttons) or update it's firmware), why not just buy the adapter for it with the charger? (and why not check what connector something has before you buy it?)

Grin tech has quite a few, and one probably fits your charger port.
https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-satiator.html

If you don't want to, or they don't have one that fits yours, you should check teh manual or the product page for the pinout of the XLR, then use your meter to measure continuity from the XLR pins to wires on it's cable remnant. Then you can match colors there, and know which pins are which.

I just wired the XLR connector back up to it with crimps and ordered the adapter with some anderson connectors. Cost me another effing $40. I assume since I wired it back up it will still work fine for computer purposes. I didn't realize it would have 3 wires, assumed it would just be two wires like every other charger I have.

Btw, I notice this doesn't have a 60v profile, do I have to hook this up to the computer to set that or can I still charge all of my 60V scooters under the 72V profile?

synics said:
I just wired the XLR connector back up to it with crimps and ordered the adapter with some anderson connectors. Cost me another effing $40.
$40? The adapter is only $15 on the Grin tech website. Must be some expensive shipping? (even amazon has it for only $18)

I assume since I wired it back up it will still work fine for computer purposes. I didn't realize it would have 3 wires, assumed it would just be two wires like every other charger I have.
Well, it's probably *not* like any other charger you have--that's the whole point of the Satiator--to be more and better. ;) Part of that is it's programmability, which uses the third wire, and that it can do temperature sensing, if the pack has a compatible thermistor installed (like NiMH and NiCd usually do), which also uses the third wire. There's even a firmware version for an OEM (or OEMs) that use the third wire as a communication with a pack to ensure it's the right pack before it starts charging, though AFAIK that's not available to us as end-users.

I highly recommend reading the manual and info page linked above, so that you will know what everything is and does, and how, and also how to set it up and use it.

Btw, I notice this doesn't have a 60v profile, do I have to hook this up to the computer to set that or can I still charge all of my 60V scooters under the 72V profile?

If it doesn't have your battery already listed, then you need to setup a profile specific to your battery type (chemistry) and voltage, etc. You can do this directly on the Satiator (the manual and info page should show you how), or you can use the Grin Tech USB-serial cable and the setup program on the PC (or apple).

amberwolf said:
synics said:
I just wired the XLR connector back up to it with crimps and ordered the adapter with some anderson connectors. Cost me another effing $40.
$40? The adapter is only $15 on the Grin tech website. Must be some expensive shipping? (even amazon has it for only $18)

I assume since I wired it back up it will still work fine for computer purposes. I didn't realize it would have 3 wires, assumed it would just be two wires like every other charger I have.
Well, it's probably *not* like any other charger you have--that's the whole point of the Satiator--to be more and better. ;) Part of that is it's programmability, which uses the third wire, and that it can do temperature sensing, if the pack has a compatible thermistor installed (like NiMH and NiCd usually do), which also uses the third wire. There's even a firmware version for an OEM (or OEMs) that use the third wire as a communication with a pack to ensure it's the right pack before it starts charging, though AFAIK that's not available to us as end-users.

I highly recommend reading the manual and info page linked above, so that you will know what everything is and does, and how, and also how to set it up and use it.

If it doesn't have your battery already listed, then you need to setup a profile specific to your battery type (chemistry) and voltage, etc. You can do this directly on the Satiator (the manual and info page should show you how), or you can use the Grin Tech USB-serial cable and the setup program on the PC (or apple).

Yeah the adapter plus the connectors and shipping was like $39 on Amazon. But thanks for all of the info. That manual is like a novel, guess I'll have to dive in. LOL

synics said:
Yeah the adapter plus the connectors and shipping was like $39 on Amazon.
Connectors?

That manual is like a novel, guess I'll have to dive in. LOL
Well, there's only about 22 pages of actual manual, about the first four and last two aren't necessary reading (pics, index, description, specifications, menu map).

But it's a good idea to go thru all of the info that is in there, so at least it's familiar and when you run across an issue or question, you can think..hey, didn't I see that in there.... :)

Seriously, though, it walks you thru the process of setting up things, and Grin is generally pretty good at instructions (though they usually assume their readers are used to DIY and figuring things out, so they do leave stuff out sometimes, so if you have questions, ask away!).

amberwolf said:
synics said:
Yeah the adapter plus the connectors and shipping was like $39 on Amazon.
Connectors?

That manual is like a novel, guess I'll have to dive in. LOL
Well, there's only about 22 pages of actual manual, about the first four and last two aren't necessary reading (pics, index, description, specifications, menu map).

But it's a good idea to go thru all of the info that is in there, so at least it's familiar and when you run across an issue or question, you can think..hey, didn't I see that in there.... :)

Seriously, though, it walks you thru the process of setting up things, and Grin is generally pretty good at instructions (though they usually assume their readers are used to DIY and figuring things out, so they do leave stuff out sometimes, so if you have questions, ask away!).

I read through it today and got it figured out. I set up a couple profiles and should be good to go now. thanks

This is a wonderful charger. It can meet the needs and safety of so many different electronics that use batteries. As others have pointed out just get XLR adapters/plug parts (electronic scooter parts) or wherever and solder to adapt to your needs.

Profiles I have setup:
100% E-bike
85% E-bike
28.8v LiFePO4
14.4 LiFePO4
AGM SLA 24V

I chose the 72V unit since I have not really found any need to charge above 5A

I got the adapter for the 72V XLR....and they sent me all of these connectors that DO NOT CONNECT TO THE ADAPTER. WTF!!! Now I have to spend even more on the proper anderson connectors.

synics said:
I got the adapter for the 72V XLR....and they sent me all of these connectors that DO NOT CONNECT TO THE ADAPTER. WTF!!! Now I have to spend even more on the proper anderson connectors.

Which specific items did you order?

If they simply sent you the wrong parts (not what you ordered), contact them to have htem send the right ones.

I actually was able to get a correct pair from a friend tonight. So I wired them in to my other cable, plugged it into the adapter and nothing. The charger isn't recognizing it. Good Lord. That means either the cable is faulty or the adapter is faulty. No way is my wiring faulty. ugh. So now I'm going to have to bypass the whole XLR and try to make my own connectors to figure out what the problem is. This is annoying.

Is it possible the spliced cable (between XLR and Satiator) is not working correctly?

You can measure the voltage at the XLR and at the andersons or whatever other adapter you use, using the Force Start function to make it output voltage even though it doesn't start on it's own.

That will tell you if there is a cable problem, or a problem with the preset settings allowing it to detect and start charging any particular battery.

Also note that the output cable is removable from the Satiator, so ensure the connector "nut" is tightened down.

The splice is fine because the XLR charges my scooter fine. That's a good point though about voltage testing the adapter with the force charge option. I don't know why I didn't' think of that. LOL. I'll try it in the morning.

I ordered the cheap XT60 adapter then cut that off and soldered on a XT90. Then made a XT90 to alligator clip adapter so I can clip onto whatever battery I want to charge.

Watch out for temperature there.

A proper terminator matching the battery's would really be better for anything you do regularly

So I'm pretty annoyed right now. I tested the voltage at the adapter and it fluctuates between like 40 and 70 when pressing force charge, which only last for like 3 seconds and then force charge stops and tells me to connect a battery. I also voltage tested after the adapter where I Anderson connected my scooter cord (gx12-3 plug into 60v 35AH battery) and get nothing. It just says to plug battery. So for that scooter it's either the anderson on the adapter or the something is wrong with that cord somewhere along the line.

NOW on my other scooter (60v 15AH battery) that has an XLR connection (so I don't need the adapter) when I plug the XLR straight into the scooter it states that it is charging, and the voltage fluctuates again all over. The amps never go above .02. I left it on the charger for 20 hours total and it finally said charging complete this afternoon. So I turned the scooter on and the battery is only at half power. So this Grin Satiator didn't charge it AT ALL. I am beyond frustrated with this piece of crap. It's looking to me like it's defective.

Back