Things heating up?

If that is a mystery product from the bottom of the shit pile then by all means but for oem/brand name they are built for heat. Its called passive cooling I believe, even my expensive charger satiator has no fans and even that can get quite hot at max amps and voltage.

edit - spelling mistake "bottle" to bottom

I imagine the heat is hell on efficiency. I guess it doesn't matter much when drawing from shore power, just seems like a lot of waste.

Oh you want to play the efficiency game do you, power factor is the term, you pay for that feature.
https://energytariffexperts.com/blog/2013/7/18/power-factor-and-demand-charge-penalties
I believe that is 2nd year electrician material.

metaneuralnetwork said:
I imagine the heat is hell on efficiency. I guess it doesn't matter much when drawing from shore power, just seems like a lot of waste.

Is there a forum for noobs with the voilamart special just getting into the hobby?

Because this must be the forum for scientists, engineers, and elitists.

metaneuralnetwork said:
Because this must be the forum for scientists, engineers, and elitists.

There are not a lot of any of those things here. But it is a forum best suited to people who actually want to learn stuff rather than just trade pats on the back.

Yeah and so much of what's on offer here is tinged with rudeness and condescending responses. It's elitism. I didn't imagine ebike forums would be that way - I thought it was more like people sharing common interests, and less like a Twitter influencer pissing contest thing.

As for seeking pats on the back I've no idea what you're talking about. Seems like some kind of grasping at straws to criticize my position based on nothing. For what, I don't know or care.

It's cool. There isn't exclusive knowledge here. I'll take my money and stuff elsewhere I really don't need the trouble. I just wanna talk ebikes. I don't want to log onto this forum (which I've done for 3 days now) to increasingly rude responses from the same group of people over and again and over nothing. You included.

I want to enjoy my time here. I want to benefit from my time here. I'm tired of seeing your face and snarky remarks behind everything. I'll take my money elsewhere. Sorry to bother!

metaneuralnetwork said:
I'll take my money elsewhere. Sorry to bother!

???

Ha-ha! :lol: I just now got your OP here in this here thread! Had to study it several times to really get it. Usually I get stuff like that easily but you posted a good one! (Between the title, text, and photo of hot charger on ice.)(and photo caption, now that I noticed it)

IDK for sure but my guess is those entry-level commodity chargers get quite hot because they have no internal cooling fan to conduct away the heat generated. Another guess is that the next level up commodity chargers that have internal cooling fans generate just as much heat overall but stay cooler to the touch because, well, the internal cooling fan is dispersing the heat. Yes wasteful. I have some of each. One (non-fan) charger that runs quite hot is stock issue from a large well-known ebike mfr. (Rad Power Bikes). On their forums they state that is normal and not to worry about it-- "They all do that."

BTW the other ebike forums I have visited are not as good as this one, technical, truth, and concise-wise. Maybe you have found better? If so, please share.

Another BTW, several of my laptop chargers and powerbricks also run almost as hot, what's up with that?

Back