this cheap charger Work w/ping?

john7700

100 W
The Happy Valley ................Western Mass. USA
I used sla chargers to charge my first ping for about a year, with no obvious ill effects.

What typically happens, is the sla charger is set to a slightly lower voltage, so you get just slightly undercharged. This may not engage the balancing part of the bms, so an unbalanced pack might not balance.

I wouldn't recomend it as the primary charger at all, but if you just want to get a partial charge while at work or out on the road, or as a back up for when/if something goes wrong with your good charger, it will work fine though slow.

My typical daily ride is 2-3 miles, using around 2-3 ah or about 10-20% of my rated A123 AMP20 pack. I bought a smart charger from batterspace.com, exactly matched to the 12S li-ion 36V pack. Its a 6 amp charger that packs it in and then final cycle trickle charges to full capacity in the range of 42 volts. It takes less than 30 minutes, shuts off automatically and can be left connected safely without draining the pack. So simple, so easy, so quick. Its the benefit of good well matched charger. Just saying.
http://www.batteryspace.com/smartch...nbatterypack110vstandardfemaletamiyaplug.aspx
4958_10.jpg

dogman said:
I used sla chargers to charge my first ping for about a year, with no obvious ill effects.

What typically happens, is the sla charger is set to a slightly lower voltage, so you get just slightly undercharged. This may not engage the balancing part of the bms, so an unbalanced pack might not balance.

I wouldn't recomend it as the primary charger at all, but if you just want to get a partial charge while at work or out on the road, or as a back up for when/if something goes wrong with your good charger, it will work fine though slow.

Thanks dogster, that is exactly what I'm thinking. Charge on the road or in case my main charger craps the bed. My bike is my transportation and I really don't want to be left on foot should the one that came with my ping die (as I've heard they want to do after a couple of years). I'm thinking it would be $12.00 insurance until I can order a proper charger.

Ark- I'm just looking at it for a back up. The one you listed is over 100 clams with shipping. I would definitely get something proper for a main charger.

Does any one have a recommendation for an inexpensive LiFePo charger?

john7700 said:
...Does any one have a recommendation for an inexpensive LiFePo charger?
The obvious answer is the BMS alloy shelled chargers.
Cheap ( $30 for a 36v, 5A ) but not 100% perfect ... what charger is tho' ?
Several threads about them on here ..good and bad comments.
Watch out for shipping costs also.
http://www.bmsbattery.com/18-alloy-shell

Back