Thoughts? Ebike ticketed/conviction upheld (Canada)

goatman said:
I don't get the court case, I think the Judge was wrong. as long as you have the pedals on the scooter and chain is connected, stay off the sidewalks and walk your scooter at crosswalks. the only BS rule they can nail you on is having to go 3km/h before the motor starts but all of them are like that. I was talking with another guy in your area, I think he lives right there at the King George Station and hes been hassled also, he rides one of these but green
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=PRQ3SkBq&id=02884633520DD067D53704EBF288B3387A9FC5EF&thid=OIP.PRQ3SkBqFHartRx0o932WwHaHa&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.e-ride.ca%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2015%2f03%2fxpd-or-a-150721-165b.jpg&exph=1000&expw=1000&q=motorino+e+bike&simid=608025269819539594&selectedIndex=47&ajaxhist=0
I don't know whats going on with the cops and those scooters in your area.
like hk I zip through there quite a bit, usually short cutting through the bus drop off lanes :shock: I might want to stop doing that now, if I keep going straight and theres traffic I usually open it up to about 60km/h and go with the traffic til 104, might want to stop doing that too. and then slow down again(no bike lanes there) or ill jump behind on whalley blvd? on my way to the portmann bridge

New bike lanes on 100 are pretty nice. Can fire up that way, then work towards the port mann. I tend to avoid riding on KGH in whalley just because there are so many cops circling between 100 and 108 and 32kph through that stretch is taking your life in your hands.

HK12K said:
Ah, Whalley then. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. I went though Invergarry, Hawthorne, Green Timbers and Tynehead today. Luckily for me my wheels are large enough to be compliant and the pedals are where one would expect to find them on a bicycle.

I fear for anyone riding one of the bikes or scooters with small wheels and a pedal setup like the xmr right about now. Such a shame too, because at the end of the day who cares if the rider is pedaling or not? They're already legally limited to the point of being a Nerf product, they're getting people out of their cars and fewer are clogging up the busses, they're using the under utilized bike infrastructure, they're getting some excercise and they're having fun. Better criminalize the shit out of that, post haste!

Based on the wording, seems like the judge would have ruled the same way regardless of the tires. What worries me now is local authorities deciding to enforce things based on this one judge's ruling from here on. Though I would guess that ebikes that actually look like bikes will be largely ignored.

goatman said:
I don't get the court case, I think the Judge was wrong. as long as you have the pedals on the scooter and chain is connected, stay off the sidewalks and walk your scooter at crosswalks. the only BS rule they can nail you on is having to go 3km/h before the motor starts but all of them are like that. I was talking with another guy in your area, I think he lives right there at the King George Station and hes been hassled also, he rides one of these but green
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=PRQ3SkBq&id=02884633520DD067D53704EBF288B3387A9FC5EF&thid=OIP.PRQ3SkBqFHartRx0o932WwHaHa&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.e-ride.ca%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2015%2f03%2fxpd-or-a-150721-165b.jpg&exph=1000&expw=1000&q=motorino+e+bike&simid=608025269819539594&selectedIndex=47&ajaxhist=0
I don't know whats going on with the cops and those scooters in your area.
like hk I zip through there quite a bit, usually short cutting through the bus drop off lanes :shock: I might want to stop doing that now, if I keep going straight and theres traffic I usually open it up to about 60km/h and go with the traffic til 104, might want to stop doing that too. and then slow down again(no bike lanes there) or ill jump behind on whalley blvd? on my way to the portmann bridge

I feel the judgment is wrong too. ICBC is a crown corporation...so how can two levels of government have different rules on the same thing? The judge's interpretations do not correlate to what ICBC says on the matter.

Hassled as in just pulled over, or has he been fined as well? A talking to is one thing, but charges/vehicle impoundment is a whole other level.

amberwolf said:
zuora said:
Honestly I ride the exact same bike mentioned in the article, and am in the city where this is all taking place, which is why I have a vested interest in the outcome.

Sounds like time to get really fat tires, so that they are very definitely larger than the minimum diameter, regardless of inflation pressure.

Depending on your frame design, you might have to modify it (and/or the forks) to get the clearance necessary--perhaps by moving the dropouts down and away from the frame/crown with adapter plates.

If the judge's problem with the pedals is that they aren't geared to usefully pedal the bike, you could add an IGH between them and the wheel to give you gearing.

Thanks for the advice. I've asked the dealer about possible options. Even if the stance on pedals is debatable, can't really argue if the measurements don't stack up :| .

Though it would be nice if the case just ended up being thrown out. Seems like what the rider can do next is to make an appeal to a higher court, which hopefully he does.

But another thing that puzzles me, is how can these be sold here if they are not compliant? Motorino isn't just importing these...they say they have a hand in development, and have catered them to be within the law here. Surely they would have needed the green light before they could establish their business here...which is largely comprised of these MAC's?

It's not like they're a new company either. They've been here for over a decade. I'm very curious to see what their response to all of this is.

markz said:
You could ride in NYC with 100 pizza's stacked up 20' high and the pigs would think you are riding an analog bicycle (non motorized).
Erm, there are warehouses full of confiscated ebikes in NYC, many millions of dollars' worth. Mostly from immigrant delivery drivers, from white hipsters out having fun, not so much.

I assumed that the guy in the case flunked the attitude test, And or, he's well known by the cops. I used to get pulled over a lot, just for being me. Made me stay at home a lot, definitely avoided going to parties and driving home drunk for a long time.

The rest of you all who ride with a decent attitude, and less history with the cops have a lot less to worry about.

Yeah, it seems that even if the wheels were large enough the judge would have ruled against him purely because he stated that he never used the pedals and had no intention of ever doing so. Had the wheels been larger and he had kept his yap shut, or at the very least said that he uses the pedals as a form of propulsion, he might have skated. Tires aside the judge based his ruling largely on perception and intent, not just on the bike itself.

It does set a bad precedent, especially coming from the appeals court. That's the end of the line for the defendant as far as I know. He appealed and lost. Game over for him. The judge did seem to leave the door open for future defendants to argue that they did in fact use the pedals, at least in some capacity, and if their vehicles are otherwise compliant they should have a chance at getting off. Or so it seems to me anyway.

The wheels issue is a done deal though. It's literally the first stipulation so if your bike can't meet that standard you are officially screwed if you get charged, especially now. Also, and I didn't look into it too deeply, but the law seems to constantly reference wheels, not tires. If some future judge happens to realize there is a difference between those two words, adding sidewall might not be enough to save you.

The fact that Motorino and these other companies are selling these bikes locally isn't an issue. You can buy crap electric dirt bikes from Sinclairs, or a gas powered dirt bike from a motorcycle shop, or a quad or atv or electric skateboard or roller skates. They're legal to buy and own, you just can't use them on public property. If you have acreage or want to tool around your backyard you can, but as soon as you leave the property you're breaking the law. (Skating is a crime as it turns out, despite what the stickers told us.)

On the other hand, all of these retailers and manufacturers are claiming that these bikes are legal MAC's, no license reg or insurance required. That's an issue that they can be held accountable for, especially if they have a local retail presence. If someone owns one and now finds the bikes were intentionally misrepresented it's possible to sue the seller to force them to accept a return, but it may or may not be at diminished value. You may even be able to go after them for damages if you suffered harm from their misrepresentation, like getting charged and fined. If you bought used you're probably on your own though.

Best bet would possibility be to clean it up and unload it while you still can, preferably to an out of of towner who won't have to deal with any repercussions caused by riding it past the transit swine. If you sell to a local it's only right that you disclose what you know and let them decide if the risk is worth it or not.

john61ct said:
markz said:
You could ride in NYC with 100 pizza's stacked up 20' high and the pigs would think you are riding an analog bicycle (non motorized).
Erm, there are warehouses full of confiscated ebikes in NYC, many millions of dollars' worth. Mostly from immigrant delivery drivers, from white hipsters out having fun, not so much.

Yuuuup

But if you have a normal Trek or Giant and hide the rear hub, placing the battery and controller in the rear pannier bag (see the picture below) and do some fake pedaling. Be easy as pie! thats pizza pie to some, just pizza to others!

Have a bunch of smaller capacity batteries so the pigs dont get your entire stash if in the event you were to get pinched by the pigs, but very very unlikely...... unless you are doing wheelies and speeding, even then I doubt the piglets would know.

Its like having a 1,000W+ ebike in the UK, where the legal limit is 250W, you are then 4x the legal limie. If your doing wheelies on an Enduro style ebike, then thats not good the gunless Bobbies will whip out there ticket book quickly while they swallow the donuts thats in their mouth.

ES Members Sunders Stealthy Ebike. Sunders is from Location: Sydney, Australia as mentioned in every post.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=104679#p1529495
Q100H, oil cooled, pumped by a Phaserunner pushing 1100W. The left hand pannier holds all the electronics. The Q100H is hidden between them, and with a 42mm wide tire at the rear - almost impossible to see from behind either.
The despair I cause to some arrogant "purists" and the confusion I cause to other eBike users. You see, eBikes are now EXTREMELY popular in Sydney. Almost 1 in 3 bikes. But 90% of them are mid-drive, the other 9.9% of them are front hubs, but pretty much all of them use a shark style battery. In other words, almost all cyclists "know" what to look for to identify an electric bike... Unless you build it like me.

Sunders ES Ebike.jpg

Fwiw I've been out of the house for less than 30 min and so far have seen 2 xmr looking bikes and one of those electric ruckus clones riding through Guilford and Fleetwood.

You could easily hide a MXUS 3000W 45H rear hub behind that pannier bag and be 12X the "legal" limit in the UK (250W) and no one would know any better. Thats when you go wide open throttle going up the hill, and you spread your legs straight out in front of you to frock with them gawkers.

markz said:
You could easily hide a MXUS 3000W 45H rear hub behind that pannier bag and be 12X the "legal" limit in the UK (250W) and no one would know any better. Thats when you go wide open throttle going up the hill, and you spread your legs straight out in front of you to frock with them gawkers.
you sound like Vortecks

HK12K said:
Also, and I didn't look into it too deeply, but the law seems to constantly reference wheels, not tires. If some future judge happens to realize there is a difference between those two words, adding sidewall might not be enough to save you.

FWIW, "wheel" usually includes everything from the axle to the road surface, in legal definitions (as legal definitions may be quite different from common definitions of the same word). It's not necessarily explicitly defined anywhere, though, just implicit in it's usage in any particular bit of legislation.

amberwolf said:
HK12K said:
Also, and I didn't look into it too deeply, but the law seems to constantly reference wheels, not tires. If some future judge happens to realize there is a difference between those two words, adding sidewall might not be enough to save you.

FWIW, "wheel" usually includes everything from the axle to the road surface, in legal definitions (as legal definitions may be quite different from common definitions of the same word). It's not necessarily explicitly defined anywhere, though, just implicit in it's usage in any particular bit of legislation.

You're nor wrong but based on the case in the OP sometimes judges make bad calls. Would stink to be on the receiving end of one, especially when it could be precedent setting.

BS big gov't strikes again and an AH court allowed it. First, no 12" scooter wheel is less than 350mm in OD as bicycle wheels are measured, so with any intelligence he will win on appeal.

Second, and more importantly if such ridiculous types laws are permitted on electrics, then gassers should have power and speed limits applied as well. eg If the maximum speed limit anywhere in the country is 100 or 110kph, then no vehicle permitted on the road should be capable of higher speed.

Ebikers should stop allowing prejudiced pedalists to craft their laws...and stop riding motorized transportation (whether human or electric powered) on infrastructure meant for pedestrians and wheelchairs where it isn't welcome.

That was the appeal. Can he appeal a failed Supreme Court appeal? I'm not sure how that works really.

You do make a good point though. If the OD of the wheel/tire combo of a 12" scooter is over 350mm/13.37795" then it seems that the judge based that part of his decision on rim diameter and not OD of the wheel tire combo. Thus setting precedent it appears, despite the previous ambiguity of the law as written and understood.

As for the prejudiced pedalists and their laws, you should check out some of the comments on articles relating to this and similar cases. The overly opinionated seem to think ebikes should be banned from all cycling infrastructure and require licencing, registration and insurance. A surprising number of people out there feel the same way about regular pedal bicycles as well as it turns out. They literally beg to make everything worse, all of the time, on seemingly any matter and they're out there making their opinions known by force. Good times.

John in CR said:
Ebikers should stop allowing prejudiced pedalists to craft their laws...

It's not prejudiced to call a motorcycle a motorcycle, and hold it to motorcycle standards and obligations. There's no reason an electric motorcyclist should be off the hook for what ever other motorcyclist has to do.

If a vehicle is going to enjoy bicycle privileges, it had better share the qualities of a bicycle in terms of average speed, maneuverability, and kinetic energy. Most e-bike legal definitions used to do that, until California Class 3 and its many derivative laws.

I dunno.

I imagine better to have more flexible legislation,

By default start out permissive, give the industry and user associations incentives to be creative to encourage safety and social responsibility.

But give local authorities the ability to crack down if casualities start mounting as ebikes get more widely used, especially fatalities.

Some towns and counties may become very ebike friendly, while those with too many idjits can't have the nice things anymore

HK12K said:
Yeah, it seems that even if the wheels were large enough the judge would have ruled against him purely because he stated that he never used the pedals and had no intention of ever doing so. Had the wheels been larger and he had kept his yap shut, or at the very least said that he uses the pedals as a form of propulsion, he might have skated. Tires aside the judge based his ruling largely on perception and intent, not just on the bike itself.

It does set a bad precedent, especially coming from the appeals court. That's the end of the line for the defendant as far as I know. He appealed and lost. Game over for him. The judge did seem to leave the door open for future defendants to argue that they did in fact use the pedals, at least in some capacity, and if their vehicles are otherwise compliant they should have a chance at getting off. Or so it seems to me anyway.

The wheels issue is a done deal though. It's literally the first stipulation so if your bike can't meet that standard you are officially screwed if you get charged, especially now. Also, and I didn't look into it too deeply, but the law seems to constantly reference wheels, not tires. If some future judge happens to realize there is a difference between those two words, adding sidewall might not be enough to save you.

The fact that Motorino and these other companies are selling these bikes locally isn't an issue. You can buy crap electric dirt bikes from Sinclairs, or a gas powered dirt bike from a motorcycle shop, or a quad or atv or electric skateboard or roller skates. They're legal to buy and own, you just can't use them on public property. If you have acreage or want to tool around your backyard you can, but as soon as you leave the property you're breaking the law. (Skating is a crime as it turns out, despite what the stickers told us.)

On the other hand, all of these retailers and manufacturers are claiming that these bikes are legal MAC's, no license reg or insurance required. That's an issue that they can be held accountable for, especially if they have a local retail presence. If someone owns one and now finds the bikes were intentionally misrepresented it's possible to sue the seller to force them to accept a return, but it may or may not be at diminished value. You may even be able to go after them for damages if you suffered harm from their misrepresentation, like getting charged and fined. If you bought used you're probably on your own though.

Best bet would possibility be to clean it up and unload it while you still can, preferably to an out of of towner who won't have to deal with any repercussions caused by riding it past the transit swine. If you sell to a local it's only right that you disclose what you know and let them decide if the risk is worth it or not.

I think federal court is the only option now. Hopefully the rider is willing to fight. I don't agree with this ruling at all....one based more on opinion than a hard and factual presentation of the law.

This shouldn't mean that these types of bikes are now illegal, right? I feel like things are not done until the laws have actually been rewritten. Especially since I feel the judge's reasoning don't even follow the MVA in the first place.

It does not say that pedaling must be the primary mode of propulsion anywhere. I hate how those multifaceted "or" statements in the MVA are being interpreted as "AND" statements, where they feel that ALL statements mentioned must be true to be valid. THEY DO NOT.

Even if the judge is convinced that the bike doesn't qualify as a MAC, the insurance related aspects should have been thrown out...as they had been in all similar cases before. I don't think you can legally be charged with not having insurance on something that could never be insured, which was the ruling in all previous cases.

I'm aware that you can mostly buy anything here and the onus is on the buyer to use it legally...but I wonder if these dealers can just claim these are MAC's? Did they actually have to get them legally passed as MAC's first, perhaps through transport Canada? If this is the case, having proof of certification should make things a done deal.

I'm personally holding onto my bike until the very last appeal is denied and the laws are CLEARLY rewritten to deem my vehicle illegal :evil: .

HK12K said:
Fwiw I've been out of the house for less than 30 min and so far have seen 2 xmr looking bikes and one of those electric ruckus clones riding through Guilford and Fleetwood.

I wonder how many of them have heard this ruling though. I've decided to still use mine, but only for necessary trips. And I've saved a copy of ICBC's classifications, and the specs of my model...if I do get pulled over, hopefully it's by someone who can see reason :roll: .

Balmorhea said:
John in CR said:
Ebikers should stop allowing prejudiced pedalists to craft their laws...

It's not prejudiced to call a motorcycle a motorcycle, and hold it to motorcycle standards and obligations. There's no reason an electric motorcyclist should be off the hook for what ever other motorcyclist has to do.

If a vehicle is going to enjoy bicycle privileges, it had better share the qualities of a bicycle in terms of average speed, maneuverability, and kinetic energy. Most e-bike legal definitions used to do that, until California Class 3 and its many derivative laws.

Yes, but this is too underpowered to be classed with actual motorcycles. It has the same specs as those ebikes that actually look like bicycles...in all the ways that matter legally...though of course these models have a ton of extra bells and whistles.

People are basing things on appearance more than anything else. I'll bet the original rider would have never been pulled over if he looked like he was riding a standard bike. Plus, standard, non-electric bikes can go faster than these things!

john61ct said:
I dunno.

I imagine better to have more flexible legislation,

By default start out permissive, give the industry and user associations incentives to be creative to encourage safety and social responsibility.

But give local authorities the ability to crack down if casualities start mounting as ebikes get more widely used, especially fatalities.

Some towns and counties may become very ebike friendly, while those with too many idjits can't have the nice things anymore

One of the saddest parts to me is, this rider hadn't even been behaving badly.

If the defendant would have just bought a Trek bicycle, with a simple hub motor.

No no no

Buy a motorcycle with pedals on it and ride it everywhere but the roads, with no plate on it so it sticks out even more.

While your at it, open carry an Airsoft gun, the RCMP will love you extra special on that one.

Attachments

• Sunders ES Ebike.jpg
    Sunders ES Ebike.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 697
I was going to use a shotgun shell belt riveted to a spine protector with a bunch of 26650's as a "backpack" battery but didn't feel like getting shot for being a suicide bomber on an ebike

goatman said:
I was going to use a shotgun shell belt riveted to a spine protector with a bunch of 26650's as a "backpack" battery but didn't feel like getting shot for being a suicide bomber on an ebike

As long as you dont have dark hair and a long beard, you'd blend in nicely to the surroundings, being Vancouver Area and all.

Motorino replied with a detailed rebuttal for anyone who's interested. Wonder if it'll make a difference?

https://motorino.ca/blog/post/strongly-opposed-e-bike-rider-loses-court-case-against-ticket-for-operating-without-licence-insuranc/

Basically all of the points already made here.

And as I suspected, Transport Canada was involved...and these bikes all have the necessary compliance labels. Inspected by both Transport Canada compliance officers AND customs officers! Wonder what it takes to be a judge these days :roll: .

John in CR said:
BS big gov't strikes again and an AH court allowed it. First, no 12" scooter wheel is less than 350mm in OD as bicycle wheels are measured, so with any intelligence he will win on appeal.

Second, and more importantly if such ridiculous types laws are permitted on electrics, then gassers should have power and speed limits applied as well. eg If the maximum speed limit anywhere in the country is 100 or 110kph, then no vehicle permitted on the road should be capable of higher speed.

Ebikers should stop allowing prejudiced pedalists to craft their laws...and stop riding motorized transportation (whether human or electric powered) on infrastructure meant for pedestrians and wheelchairs where it isn't welcome.

And you were right, the judge is wrong about the wheel size! Including the actual tire, it's well over the minimum. Really unimpressed :roll: .

Also found out that the rider who had his bike impounded was riding a super soco...so I can see why they did that.

Though I do know that motorino used to sell a MAC made by super soco, the motorino xml. I'll bet they mistook that for the other two super socos which actually do need insurance.

Well, that makes me feel somewhat more at ease that they haven't commenced a war on ebikes :? .

The judge in question, should anyone need to contact him:

The Honourable Mr. Justice Robert W. Jenkins

Supreme Court of British Columbia
Begbie Square
651 Carnarvon Street
New Westminster, British Columbia
V3M 1C9

Tel: (604) 660-0571

Fax: (604) 660-1937

Robert-Jenkins-QC.jpg

http://www.cccl.org/honourary_fellows.htm

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/e-bike-users-sellers-dismayed-003607723.html
E-bike users, sellers dismayed by B.C. Supreme Court decision

People who ride and sell e-bikes that look like scooters say they're dismayed by a recent decision in B.C. Supreme Court that ruled against a man who was fined for riding one without a licence or insurance.

Steve Miloshev, operator of distribution company Greenwit Technologies, says the e-bikes he sells are perfectly legal but are unfairly targeted because they look like motorcycles or mopeds.

Key point, don't be riding around on an ebike that looks like a motorcycle or moped.

Back