Thoughts on building an 18650 battery, expensive and complex

Offroader

1 MW
Someone asked me some months back if I could build them an 18650 battery They offered to pay me for building but knowing how time consuming it is I declined. I also knew all the issues of sourcing the cells.

I know some may have found 18650 cells for cheap but that is not always available, especially if you need a battery right away. Most likely you will be spending around $5 an 18650 cell and good chance you will have to order the cells internationally. I know some will say you can order them from some forum member, but many times he doesn't have individual cells available, like right now.

Then the complexity or difficulty,. I know it isn't rocket science, but it isn't all that easy to plan and construct a pack. You will have spend lots of hours in research and planning. You will have to acquire a welder and nickel. Lots of times it is hard to buy 100% nickel. You will have to figure out what type of cell to use for the size and amp draw you want and the proper size nickel to use.

Where it even gets more complex is when you have a frame that isn't square and the pack will not be rectangular, this adds a lot more to the complexity.

This makes me believe that most ebikers are not going to be building their own pack, and if they decide to get someone to make a custom pack it will be too expensive. This means that only the people really into the ebike hobby will take the time to learn how to build a pack. I had a lot of fun building my 1st 18650 pack and learned a lot, but I don't even want to mention how long it took me with the research, building, welder breaking, etc.

When I declined to build the pack I was searching on the forum for people who actually build packs and there isn't really anyone building custom 18650 packs. Maybe 1 guy in Australia. I think the reason for this is nobody is going to pay a proper price for the labor involved in building a custom pack. Prebuilt packs or if building multiple of the same pack may be worth it.

These are just my thoughts after building my own pack and considering building a pack for someone else. Building is really only for those more advanced ebike enthusiasts. Not something you want to build for your first ebike. This was the case for the guy who wanted me to build him a pack, it was his first ebike and he was going all high end without realizing how difficult it is to build a high end ebike.

I repack batteries for the local e-lbs. it's all of those thing you said but bc the std low power ebike has a simple battery it's fairly straight forward. I can do it under cost of a new one and it's particularly useful for the people whose bike company is out of business or not supplying the batteries anymore for some reason. The tech has changed a lot in 7-8 yrs.
But...when it comes to custom batteries, it's always for mates so... Labour charge is pitiful, No-one would be interested if I charged full rates, and the complexity rises sharply. It's hard to compete with someone like em3ev doing really nice stuff. But I live on an island off an island with a poor exchange rate... So that helps. Our import duty is about to change for the worse so that's going to suck. I'm not insured either it's prohibitively expensive. If I was to become a fully fledged battery builder I don't think I'd be financially viable - not without a much bigger market.

Jump as. Juicy and or erad and or Saunders. If you want to marry your friends ebike every time he calls Mary it and or her could work out. Walk with a smile in your head up and go forward

There's still room for a good BMS and do it yourself kit with good instructions thats inexpensive and rebuildable. Oh wait...vruzend.com

I have built a few custom packs and found that I enjoy the planing and the building but I will only deal with folks that I feel have the common sense needed to take care of them. There are several of my batteries out there that have been sold to second owners and I sometimes worry that someone will screw up and have a fire.
If I were to start building batteries for sale I think I would have a talk with a lawyer and probably purchase some liability insurance.

Back