Throttle connectors what's this for?

Ykick

1 GW
JST 3-pin throttle connectors have been with us a long time.

Other than to snag on every pass through, wire loom and/or heat shrink tubing, what are those tabs for?

I removed them from the connector on the left and they still work and lock fine.

Something for a zip tie to grab?

Those tabs are to lock it into a square hole in a panel for panel mounted applications. I cut them off.

fechter said:
Those tabs are to lock it into a square hole in a panel for panel mounted applications. I cut them off.

Ding ding ding! Thanks Richard, cutting 'em off seems like SOP for my/our purposes.

fechter said:

Crazy. And the lip on the back then provides the perfect stop to keep it square and prevent it from sliding forwards. I've always been a bit bummed that I could never find any panel mount or PC mount options for the JST-SM and now you're saying it was hiding there all this time in plain view! You do realize that the back plate of a CA3 would be totally different if you'd informed us all of this gem many moons ago.

Anyways, thanks Fechter for the tidbit, I may put it to good use! Mystery of the useless tabs explained in most delightful terms.

-Justin

I cannot tell you how much this made my day :)

PanelJSTSM Back.jpg

This is laser cut from 1/16" acrylic with a rectangle that is 0.2" high and with a width of 0.17" + 0.1n, where 'n' is the pin count. The JST-SM female connectors snap in easily and are held quite rigidly and perfectly square to the surface.

Fechter had you seen them used this way before or was that just surmised from the familiarity of the 'wings' with other snap in products like switches?

I’ve seen those GreenLee metal punch sets to build electrical cabinets that might have a suitable punch die? I’ve seen similar plugs used in old guitar amps - I should’ve put it together…???

Nice cutting job!

I see these used like this in equipment I work on.
If you don't have a fancy punch, I just drill holes and file it out to make a square.

Ykick said:
I’ve seen those GreenLee metal punch sets to build electrical cabinets that might have a suitable punch die? I’ve seen similar plugs used in old guitar amps - I should’ve put it together…???
While many sheet plastics can be punched cleanly, acrylic plastic isn't one of those.
Seems to me a laser cutter is about the only option for sheet acrylic if holes aren't molded in.

Having spent many an hour using a Roper Whitney No.218 bench punch and No.5 hand punch on prototype enclosures and panels, I has some experiences... including wearing out many Greenlee thingys
Back in the day (turn of century) Custom Dies for punch machines of all types cost about $100 machined locally.
Still Available for about $100 from points in China (figures)... (+ shipping)

A CNC router is a another option. You get rounded corners, but with a small bit I think it would work out well. Even a manual router (Dremel) might work well with a template guide.

I've worn out a few Greenlee punches too. Non-round shapes are tricky to keep aligned. They are the best for sheet metal.

Back