throttle voltage with controller and wattage compatability

fevitz

10 W
Hi , I need a throttle , and my new build will have ;
* A 36v motor which , with the right controller (which I havent bought yet) to match , my 48v battery .

Is it important that a throttle matches the voltage of the motor ,,,or ,,,the battery ? OR I can use any voltage throttle ?

I noticed there are 24v , 36v , 48v , throttles .

My next question is ; the controller (on my other bike) that came with my orig conv kit had a 36v battery which has been replaced with a 48v , the controller having 61v caps made it possible to handle 48v as well and it goes faster & better . I intend to use the same 48v battery on both bikes by swapping it over , depending on which bike I want to ride .

* would a 36v controller , providing its capacitors are 48v compatible , do the same job or should I just go buy a 48v controller and be done with it ? Are there any advantages to a 36v Eg; more speed etc over a 48v controller
thanks rick

Do the throttles you are looking at have those "Power meters"?
That's what is Voltage dependent, not the actual throttle.
I didn't quite follow what you are asking concerning the controller, but you can try the 36 V controller on 48V and see what happens. Does the battery have a Low Voltage Cut-off? Usually, it would haVe one, but, sometimes it is in the controller and then you might have to get another controller to protect your battery

motomech said:
Do the throttles you are looking at have those "Power meters"?
That's what is Voltage dependent, not the actual throttle.
I didn't quite follow what you are asking concerning the controller, but you can try the 36 V controller on 48V and see what happens. Does the battery have a Low Voltage Cut-off? Usually, it would haVe one, but, sometimes it is in the controller and then you might have to get another controller to protect your battery

Motomech hi , There are 3 types of throttles im considering . Yes the one I like has the built on power meter (looks really neat) . If I buy this , should it be a 48v ? and if no power meter anyone will do ? gr8 ! thank you !
Regards the controller ; Would the 36v motor & 48v battery give me the same speed and distance using a 36v or 48v controller ? Would a 36v controller (48v compatabible as well) make any differencein the power ?

regards rick :D

All throttles work at 5v. The 5v is regulated by the controller. Only throttles with battery indicator LEDs need to match the battery voltage if you want the LEDs to display correctly. If you're not bothered about the LEDs you can use any throttle you want.

d8veh , thanks , these are what im likely to get .http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ebike-24V-36V-48V-72V-Throttle-Speed-Throttle-Twist-Speed-Throttle-Electric-Scooter-ebike-Throttle-Grip/32368229312.html
rick :D

That should be OK. You need to make sure that the three wires are connected in the right sequence. Hopefully, you'll be able to see the colours. Red to red, black to black and signal to signal whatever colour the signal wires are. Some throtles have strange colours. If you have any problems with the colours, ask again. Don't connect if you can't idnetify which is which.

Back