TIG torch for battery spot welding

john61ct said:
cricketo said:
john61ct said:
What would be a good petrol powered unit to get that 150A max off-grid?
150A that's at the welding voltage around 10-15V, so not a crazy amount of power to worry about, under 2000W at the input.

For structural aluminum work you're probably better off with the MIG (spool gun).
Does that mean there are no units that do all three functions?

I really would prefer to not have to carry separate ones around.

Multiprocess welders are typically expensive, and they're even more expensive if they also do AC Tig. There is ESAB Rebel AC/DC multiprocess unit that goes for over $3,000. Some folks are happy with Everlast units, but they're made in China with a questionable reputation.

Personally I have a Lincoln MP210. It's a nice hobby unit, but it can't do Tig aluminum because it's a DC only. Otherwise it does stick, Mig/Flux core and Tig while also being dual input voltage (120/240). And with a spool gun it will Mig aluminum.

Note that aluminum is a special beast when it comes to welding due to its tough oxide layer. For Tig you'd need a unit that does AC. Mig on the other hand can do aluminum with DC positive, and you can get away with 700-800 dollar setup for that (including the spool gun).

The aluminum high current stuff is secondary at this point

let's say just for battery packs using this gun only.

There is no all in one that includes off grid power generation?

If not then my preference would be a general purpose genset, say a Honda eu2200i or two coupled together if necessary.

Or the 240V equivalent, better for pumping high amp AC-DC chargers for the battery banks.

It would be worth completely discharging and cutting the bottom off a couple of the TIG welded cells to examine for thermal damage on the inside of the can bottom. If its blackened with locally decomposed electrolyte behind each weld spot, work on finding a profile that leaves the inside of the can clean.

liveforphysics said:
It would be worth completely discharging and cutting the bottom off a couple of the TIG welded cells to examine for thermal damage on the inside of the can bottom. If its blackened with locally decomposed electrolyte behind each weld spot, work on finding a profile that leaves the inside of the can clean.

I made some experiments tig vs electric spot welding, and localized heat is mutch higher at electric spotwelds than tig spotwelds if they are dialed well. One reason is the copper, which pulls out more heat than nickel.
I can show some data soon.
Best equipment for doing tig spot wleds is the closed loop welding generator, but they are expensive. I personally using everlast 210ext and seems reliable unit.

john61ct said:
If not then my preference would be a general purpose genset would be a general purpose one, say a Honda eu2200i or two coupled together if necessary.

Or the 240V equivalent, better for pumping high amp AC-DC chargers for the battery banks.

You can't couple generators together like that - they have no ability to synchronize their waveform.

cricketo said:
You can't couple generators together like that - they have no ability to synchronize their waveform.

LOL that is a dirt common feature now on dozens of brands.

Honda calls theirs Companion

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-parallel-capability

Other advantages besides all-purpose power, very quiet, very fuel efficient, very portable compact, very long term reliable, and serviceable worldwide

john61ct said:
cricketo said:

LOL that is a dirt common feature now on dozens of brands.

Honda calls theirs Companion

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-parallel-capability

Other advantages besides all-purpose power, very quiet, very fuel efficient, very portable compact, very long term reliable, and serviceable worldwide

Very nice! Learned something new today.

kartoon said:
100% of the welds are perfect, there is no such thing as spot welding to be visually okay, but poor adhesion.
Used regularly for spot welding of 0.2 - 0.4mm copper plate.
- up to 150A continuous welding current
- 1.6mm tungsten
Interesting thing.
Will work 0.6-1.0mm tungsten electrode?
Whether AC or DC voltage is required for operation?
Does it have a bounce of electrode like Sunstone Orion/Omega?
If so, how does it work?

Thanks, we developed the torch for welding high amp battery packs.
The electrode is 1.6mm, and it run from DC. The new version has an electronic momentary pulse switch to use with the most of machines.
Does not have bounce electrode, or any moving parts. After proper setup will work forever.

Thank you for your answer. I understood that the 1.6mm electrode, I asked if it would work in your opinion with thinner electrodes.
Is the new version what is already shown in the topic or will you add information about this later?

The new torch will work only with 1.6mm electrode. If you need, we change the electrode collet for any size. What is the reason to use with thinner electrode?
I will post some photos and videos about using the torch. We testing it now and we prepare the production.

Hi Kartoon,

I am interested, I have sent you a PM. You can reach me directly at AffordableEBikes@gmail.com

Thank you!

kartoon said:
The new torch will work only with 1.6mm electrode. If you need, we change the electrode collet for any size. What is the reason to use with thinner electrode?
I will post some photos and videos about using the torch. We testing it now and we prepare the production.

Any update on final product. I am very interested.

It's exciting that you're so interested! The new torch is in production, I can test it in a couple of weeks. If it is interesting, I can take videos and photos with the existing one.

I haven’t reported on the development of the TIG spot welder in a long time. As promised, development has continued and we have fixed known bugs and development of the prototype is slowly being completed. We explored many possibilities for small series production and finally 3d printing became the best result from heat-resistant, carbon fiber-filled polycarbonate filament. It gave a surprising but more beautiful end result than the POM material produced with the cnc lathe.
What has evolved:
- the welding points have become deeper and require less energy. So far the set current was 70-80A, now with 60A there will be nice welds.
- The negative power cord is inserted into the gas pipe, so its cooling is better in the long run. The number of wires has thus been reduced.
- The trigger button is on the handle. The pushbutton has been given a timer electronics (this is not yet complete) so that the exact timing can be set on each TIG inverter. Where there is a spot welding function, it does not affect operation.
- Cables have sleeves
- Currently supplied with DINSE 35-50 power supply and 7-pin connector. A custom connector can be requested later.
- We designed a comfortable holder for it

We are currently waiting for the arrival of the semi-finished products to assemble the first 50 pieces.

The current phase is still considered a prototype, so the price per piece is slightly higher than the final one, € 280 ($ 320) plus postage (~ € 20-60).

Some pictures about the production and design phases.

Holder and handle design
IMG_20220218_162701.jpg
IMG_20220218_162951.jpg
IMG_20220218_162625.jpg

Sleeve cover for joining the wires
IMG_20220218_162945.jpg
The product sticker is inserted into the recess at the end of the handle

Any news to this?

Yepp, under development and extensive testing. I hope the kit is ready by the summer.

Any news to this?

kartoon said:
The current phase is still considered a prototype, so the price per piece is slightly higher than the final one, € 280 ($ 320) plus postage (~ € 20-60).

This is going to be wildly popular for battery builders if you can get it out at that price target. Anyone who would currently go with a kweld+nickel would be very motivated to jump straight to this + copper.

Id really like to get one of these and have sent a PM any info on this or is it completely dead? Did anyone get a prototype?

Back