Trek Valencia Ride+ Battery Teardown & Rebuild

Syonyk

10 kW
Canonical source: http://syonyk.blogspot.com/2016/01/trek-valencia-ride-bionx-battery-pack_9.html

Trek Valencia Ride+ BionX Battery Pack Teardown: Part 1
It's been a while since I've torn down a battery pack! The last one I tore down was a BionX 9.6AH 36v pack, back in June. I've been busy since then, and have rebuilt a few packs, but I haven't played with anything new.

Until now!

I've got a Trek Valencia Ride+ (powered by BionX) battery pack to rebuild if possible. The first part in rebuilding a battery pack is, of course, to tear it down and figure out what I'm dealing with.

The Trek Valencia+ (or Trek Valencia Ride+) is a Trek bike with a factory installed BionX kit. The battery is a 6.4Ah 40v battery (which is a bit unusual as far as voltage goes), for a total nominal capacity of 260Wh. It's a fairly small battery by ebike standards, but it's also fairly light, and the BionX kits are quite efficient (being pedal assist and having regen). This bike was mostly notable for the rear spokes being utterly incapable of handling the weight and furious power of the BionX motor, and spending more time in the shop having spokes replaced than actually being on the road.

Previous research indicates that it's a 11S4P cell arrangement of some form, and that it's a bit tricky to get apart.

The pack looks like this:

DSCF5758.jpg

If you're interested in a bunch of teardown photos and some analysis (of course you are), read on!

Pack Exterior
The pack is a pretty slick piece of plastic. It's not particularly heavy, it's well engineered, it's got a metal lock, and it has an integrated tail light! I really like the tail light - electric bikes without pack-powered lighting drives me nuts.

DSCF5759.jpg

DSCF5760.jpg

The underside of the pack shows the twin metal mounting brackets, and on the left you can see the lock. The lock is metal, well buried in the plastic, and should keep the pack installed unless the owner chooses to remove it. Very nice! I'm a fan of the BionX pack locks - they do a great job of keeping the pack on the bike.

DSCF5761.jpg

Then, of course, I come to this part. It's always there.

The warnings. Do not disassemble. Warranty void if opened. Something something don't do what you're about to do, and if you do, we're not at fault. However, it's a label, not a cop. Sadly for the label, I'm about to disassemble and open this pack. I'd prefer something about "qualified personnel" or something. It really doesn't matter, though - the old battery packs are so far out of warranty that it just doesn't matter anymore.

Yes, I void warranties. Or, more preferably, work on things that have no warranty remaining. If it's broken, you're not going to make it any worse. At the absolute worst, you still have something broken, and you've learned something.

DSCF5762.jpg

The Fasteners
It's time to start diving into the pack. A bit of research indicates it's a pain in the ass. Well, I still need to get it open if I want to rebuild it, so in I go!

The tail light is held on by a single Phillips head screw. No problems here!

DSCF5763.jpg

The rest of the bolts are BionX-standard hex heads. Out they come! On the previous packs I've rebuilt, the pack then comes apart easily.

DSCF5764.jpg

I was hopeful that after the tail light coming free, there'd be something useful. Perhaps a battery that slid out?

Nope. Just a clip.

DSCF5766.jpg

The First Side
Being forewarned that some serious prying was in the works, I started prying away. Using the mounting brackets to apply pressure to the pack helped, as did a few standard screwdrivers.

It took quite a while to get the first major crack opening up. This is not an easy pack to tear down. It's brutal on fingers, and it takes a serious amount of brute force to get it free. I'm not happy with this.

Finally, though, I got it started.

DSCF5767.jpg

The procedure from this point involved a lot of brute force, and a non-trivial amount of heat (from my kerosene garage heater). The pack is sharp, awkward, and not at all fun to open. It seriously don't want to be opened.

Once it's open, the reason it's so hard to get open is very, very obvious. Giant blobs of some sort of foamy adhesive. The battery wasn't going anywhere.

DSCF5768.jpg

Just two? Nope! Three huge blobs of whatever this stuff is. Seriously. Why? Some foam padding would have done the same job without making the pack a nightmare to open.

DSCF5769.jpg

In any case, it's open, and the internal battery label is visible.

Helpfully, it tells me it's an 11S4P battery - I don't think I've ever seen this on a label before.

Doing some maths, 40.7/11 = 3.7, and 6.4/4 = 1.6 - so, as I suspected, it's using 1600mAh standard cells. It's probably the same Sony US18650V cells that the other BionX packs of this era use - which is good news, because that means I can put in 2200mAh US18650V3 replacements when I rebuild, for a total pack capacity of 8.8Ah - 37% more capacity in the same space!

DSCF5771.jpg

Port and Sealant
I think BionX got a by-the-barrel discount on "sticky stuff" when they built this pack. There's a bunch of it around the connector (the yellow stuff), and more white stuff securing the yellow glop into the pack.

I don't mind the yellow strain relief. It looks like waterproofing, which is cool. It turns out, people do ride bikes in the rain. Even electric bikes.

DSCF5772.jpg

Unfortunately, the white glop didn't stick. It literally came right out. I don't know why it was there. Someone put a lot in, though.

DSCF5773.jpg

Controller
The controller is crammed up in the bulge of the pack. The thermal fuse is visible to the left - this is a fuse that breaks the negative line if the pack gets too hot. It's a nice safety feature, as it will interrupt both charging and discharging. I don't know if it will reset when things cool down or if it is a one time fuse. If I'm finding out, I'm having a really bad day.

DSCF5774.jpg

The controller is a pretty standard looking BionX controller, with the beeper that is used for power on/off notifications and the occasional "Please charge me..." notification if the pack is dying a slow death in the garage.

Interestingly, this controller has some sort of conformal coating on it. The whole board is covered in it. What this means is that the controller is likely to be incredibly water resistant, or even waterproof (I'm not going to test it). This is great - electric bikes can and do get wet, and the older downtube packs don't have this coating. I don't know if BionX or Trek decided on it, but I'm really glad to see it.

DSCF5775.jpg

DSCF5776.jpg

DSCF5792.jpg

Getting the Battery Out
Trek? BionX? I hate both of you right now.

The pain of getting the outer shell apart is nothing compared to the pain and toil involved in getting the battery out. The other side is using the exact same adhesive, and I have a lot less to grab or pry from. The force involved is enough to do serious damage to the case, even being careful. It's simply not designed to come out.

After about half an hour, roasting the case on top of a kerosene heater to warm it up, pulling out as much gunk as I could, an awful lot of prying, and some bent plastic, the pack came out.

Let me be clear: This is absurd. There's no good reason to secure your pack like this. Some foam padding would have done exactly the same job without making it a genuine nightmare to rebuild.

In any case, it finally came out in one piece.

DSCF5777.jpg

More of that damned black goo.

DSCF5778.jpg

Battery Pack
Finally. What I came for. The battery pack.

It's... actually sort of weird. I'm not sure what to make of it.

The bottom layer is 6 cells wide, and the top is 5. That makes 11 cell groups, and there are 4 of those. So it's definitely 44 cells, and somehow wired into the 11S4P arrangement promised on the label. I should point out that 4 and 11 don't go evenly into each other.

DSCF5780.jpg

I can think of a few ways to do this, and none of them involve these weird bridge wires along the side. I think they're doing something really weird here... and it's probably going to be a nightmare to rebuild.

DSCF5781.jpg

However, at least the cells are the Sony US18650V cells, as I suspected from the capacity. That's good news. About the last I'm going to get with this pack...

DSCF5783.jpg

Cell Corrosion
The rest of the wrapper is off, and... oh my. That's not good. I trust my readers, by now, realize that all the cells in the pack should look the same, and not be covered in that. At least it's inside the wrapper. Mostly.

DSCF5784.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what's happened here, but a bunch of the cells have some pretty nasty corrosion on them. I know I did a little bit of damage to the cells pulling them out, but I'm very confident I had nothing to do with this bit of horror.

I'm not sure if this is just surface corrosion on the case from water that got into the pack and pooled, if a cell vented at some point and this is corrosion from the vent gasses, or what.

I'll know more once I pull things further apart and can take a look at the individual cells.

In any case, I've got a theory for why this pack isn't taking a charge...

DSCF5785.jpg

This doesn't look like water damage to me, but... maybe? I don't have that much experience with vented cells long after they've vented, so this might be what happens. I have nothing to explain why they would vent, though.

DSCF5786.jpg

This damage, on the other hand, was me. I'm quite confident of that. That's the type of damage you get when prying a stubborn pack out of a huge cradle of glue. It doesn't appear to have done any real damage to the cell, just scraped the coating up a bit. I wouldn't put this back in a pack, but... oh, right. I'm rebuilding it with new cells!

DSCF5787.jpg

This is, by far, the ugliest pack I've pulled out. Ew. And the weird conductors along the side are going to take some work to figure out.

DSCF5788.jpg

The other end of the pack looks OK. A few dents from getting it out.

I really, really hate applying a lot of force to battery packs, but that was literally the only way to get this thing free.

DSCF5789.jpg

Here's the negative terminal. It's got what appears to be the thermal sensor attached, somehow. Hopefully through the green wire, since that's how BionX handles this on other packs. It comes in between a set of cells, but there's insulating material in between.

This pack arrangement does worry me a bit. If I'm right about how it's set up, there's a LOT of potential difference, kept apart by one tiny insulator. This might be why the pack is glued so firmly in place - to keep from shorting out. I can't say I'm a huge fan of this concept.

DSCF5790.jpg

Alright. The top of the pack. Can I make any sense of this layout?

The positive terminal goes into the left side. Probably on the bottom. On the top, there is a set of 4 cells facing one way, with one facing the other way. At least on the three left-most regions. The rightmost region appears to have all the cells with the positive terminals facing right.

I've run through a bunch of different ideas on how this pack is laid out, and at this point, I honestly don't know what they've done.

I'm going to have to tear the pack down to find out, and I quite simply don't feel like tearing down a weird, corroded pack right now.

DSCF5793.jpg

So, I'm going to go have a beer.

Canonical source: http://syonyk.blogspot.com/2016/01/trek-valencia-ride-bionx-battery-pack.html

Trek Valencia Ride+ BionX Battery Pack Teardown: Part 2

To recap: A battery pack, bound together by a lot of adhesive, difficult to get apart, and I didn't feel like pulling the actual battery pack apart after I got it out and discovered it was a corroded mess.

Now I'm going to dive into the corroded mess and see if I can figure out what's going on.

DSCF5794.jpg

Read on to join me for a lot of battery pack photos!

The bulk pack voltage is a whopping 0.421v. This pack is dead, Jim. It's not even nailed to the perch.

DSCF5795.jpg

The positive end is covered with some black plastic insulation. Not for long! A bunch of chipping away of brittle plastic, and I've got... this.

DSCF5796.jpg

It's pretty clear what they've done at this point. The pack is 4P battery strings, connected together in an interesting manner, with a lot of custom cut nickel strip and additional wires to bridge things to the next set of 11 cells where needed.

I think someone wanted an excuse to play with their shiny new custom nickel strip cutter, though. There are a lot of different strip shapes for this one pack.

I like the use of fiber insulation under the nickel strips. This is a definite evolution on the earlier packs.

The positive wire is soldered to the nickel strip, clear of the positive terminal. Excellent. This means they're not dumping heat into the battery trying to solder directly on top of it. With the heat shrink removed, I can just desolder this and make my life easier.

Also, you can (barely) see on the top cells that there's a slit in the nickel strip over each cell. This improves the welding, and allows for a better weld joint with less current (as it forces all the current to go through the weld points and the end of the cell, instead of just bypassing through the strip).

DSCF5797.jpg

With the cell chunks separated, the pack arrangement becomes clear. It's functionally just a long pack that's been folded, with the connections bridged as needed using large wire. If you imagine straightening out the pack, the ends currently connected with the white wires would be touching, and would be able to be connected with nickel strip like the joints are. It's a 4P11S pack, bent up into a weird arrangement.

DSCF5798.jpg

Taking a closer look at the corroded end... it's just gross.

DSCF5799.jpg

So, of course, I'll start at the other end.

The heat shrink comes off the bridge wire, and... ew. That's not a great looking solder joint.

DSCF5800.jpg

This is the same solder joint after I took a while trying to remove it. I understand why it's not great - the huge wire just sucks all the heat out of the joint, and it's basically impossible to heat it up enough to flow solder. I don't actually know why they used such a large wire gauge for these connections. It's really not needed. The thin bit of nickel strip is the high resistance point, not the wire.

DSCF5801.jpg

So I just snipped the end off. That's fine for a pack teardown.

You can see some of the teardown progress here. That plastic insulation is a royal pain to get off!

DSCF5802.jpg

Another set of neat shapes here in the custom cut nickel department. Though, I admit I have no idea why they didn't just use a sheet. I guess if you're cutting the slits in the middle, you may as well cut other stuff?

It still feels to me like someone got their hands on a super fancy nickel strip cutting machine and set out to justify it, though.

DSCF5803.jpg

About this point, while I was chipping the black insulation off, I thought about how nice this would be to work on in the summer, with all the heat so the plastic isn't brittle. About this time, I had to move my leg away from my dual 500W shop lamps before they singed hair off. Fortunately, I can do synergy with ideas and conclude that I have a great heat source for heating the plastic. And this made things much easier.

LED work lamps are nice, but there are some things that 500W of halogen fury is better suited to, and this is one. Once warmed up, the insulation came off much easier!

DSCF5804.jpg

So, I kept going. The endless variety of nickel strip patterns are entertaining, if a bit annoying from a "I'd like to actually rebuild this pack" point of view.

DSCF5806.jpg

DSCF5807.jpg

DSCF5808.jpg

DSCF5809.jpg

And, it's time to get some details of the corroded end.

It's really, really nasty.

DSCF5810.jpg

DSCF5811.jpg

DSCF5812.jpg

I've got the pack totally unfolded now. And I am incredibly curious about these corroded cells. So, out comes my voltmeter! I hook it up...

... and then double check that I'm testing it the correct way. You know, red to positive, black to negative. Then scratch my head and test again. Nope. Still showing -276mV. Negative. This set of cells is 3v below the minimum recommended voltage of 2.7v.

DSCF5813.jpg

And they're gross.

DSCF5815.jpg

Oh, yes. The green wire running along with the negative wire goes to a thermistor. So it's just like the other BionX packs I've worked on.

DSCF5816.jpg

Per Cell Voltages
After seeing the horror show of negative voltage, I wanted to see what the other cells were at. So I tested. By parallel cell region, starting from the negative side:

-1.1mv, -197mv, -280mv, 1.0v, -0.5mv, -1.2mv, 0, -0.4mv, 0.2mv, 0, 0.676v

That's an awful lot of negative voltage in there. Only two regions are above zero by any meaningful amount.

How does this happen? It involves discharging a cell, then forcing current through it after it's drained, and not in the useful charging direction. If a set of cells is weak, this can happen if you keep draining a pack (and the BionX BMS absolutely does keep draining a low pack). It can't happen from self discharge, as far as I understand things - it has to involve an external load.

But, in any case, the pack is quite dead.

Pack Summary
This pack is a 4P11S pack using the same Sony US18650V cells as the older BionX packs. In contrast to the older packs I've worked on (which are series strings paralleled together), this is a bunch of parallel strings in series. This is a more standard pack arrangement, especially when you use a BMS that allows for balancing and low voltage cutoff for each voltage region, not just the global pack voltage.

Which this pack isn't using. I hear the newer 48v packs have a proper BMS, and I look forward to tearing one down in a few months if all goes well.

As to what killed this pack? I'm not sure. Either a loss of capacity caused the cells to get driven too low, or they got out of balance. In either case, it probably got worse as time went on.

This is the downside of not having anything but a bulk voltage sensor - you can't detect things like this early.

I'm impressed with the Sony cells, though. Despite this abuse, they didn't do anything harmful. There's no evidence of heat in the pack.

I'd like to test the cells and see what sort of capacity they have left after this abuse, but I'm not going to do that until I have a place I can safely have batteries run away. So, don't expect that set of tests for a while.

Fortunately, some testing shows the BMS is still alive and responsive (for at least sanity check levels of alive), so I can rebuild it. But that's a future post.

... seriously, negative voltages. That's just not right. Especially not this many.

Canonical version here: http://syonyk.blogspot.com/2016/01/trek-valencia-ride-bionx-battery-pack_23.html

Rebuilding the Trek Valencia Ride+ Pack

And now, I'm going to rebuild it. Read on, because you know you want to see what happens!

DSCF5758.jpg

Rebuild Overview
This rebuild is going to be a little bit different from my previous ones. I'm not exactly duplicating the previous pack design, but instead using a different cell layout.

The original pack is 4P11S - sets of 4 cells wired in parallel, then 11 of these sets in series. I'm going to rebuild this pack as 11 cell series sets, and then wire the 4 of these in parallel.

There are several reasons for this. The first is that I saw what happened to the 4P11S pack with the horror show of negative voltages across many of the parallel groups. I haven't seen this on the other BionX packs I've torn down (which were series then parallel), so I'm inclined to go with the layout I know works.

The second reason is that the 4P11S layout is actually very difficult to build, and rebuilding it would be incredibly tricky. Since there are 4 groups of 11 cells, doing them series then parallel makes it radically easier to build.

Finally, I reduce the resistance losses in the nickel strip significantly, since instead of the full pack current flowing through the nickel strip, only 1/4th the pack current is flowing through the strip - so losses are 1/16th (P=I^2*R). Nickel is not the most conductive material on the planet, so reducing the losses there should help with the range.

These combined to make it, in my opinion, worth rebuilding the pack differently.

I keep the chemistry the same, using 2250mAh Sony US18650V3 cells to replace the 1600mAh Sony US18650V cells. This means a 9Ah pack instead of a 6.4Ah pack, though!

Function Check
This pack is a newer CANBus pack. I've heard about problems with them not working after a rebuild, so I set out to find out as much as I can about testing them first. I obviously can't just stick it on a bike to test, since the batteries are stone dead.

What I found out is that on both the I2C and CANBus packs, shorting pin 3 to the nearest large pin (the negative terminal) will turn the pack on. You get a few beeps out of it, and while I can't test detailed functionality, it's enough to verify that the BMS isn't totally dead.

Fortunately, for a two lead BMS (positive and negative), I can simulate a healthy battery without too much trouble. Set my DC power supply to something in the pack voltage range, hook it up, and check it out!

Please note: I am NOT trying this with the battery attached. The battery (which is stone dead) has been removed, and I'm testing with the bare leads to the BMS. I'm not trying to charge the battery. Don't do this and try to charge a stone dead battery, because it's not safe.

DSCF5818.jpg

DSCF5817.jpg

The BMS seems good! It beeps at me and the tail light comes on. This is about as good as I can hope for!

Building the Modules
To rebuild the pack the way I want to, I need 4 11S modules. Things start, as they always do, with a box of batteries.

DSCF5825.jpg

To line the cells up, my welder helpfully came with a cell jig. I don't actually know where to find these as standalone objects to purchase, but they are most certainly useful! Once they're lined up, the hot glue gun comes out and they're glued together.

DSCF5826.jpg

A bit more hot glue later, and all 11 cells are attached firmly to each other. This is a remarkably strong cell configuration once glued together.

The pack didn't come glued together. It relied on the welded strips to hold the cells together. This worked fine, but I prefer things to be stronger (and the configuration will be different, so I can't rely on the stripping for structural strength). Glue it is.

DSCF5827.jpg

Once things are glued together, the spot welder comes out and the strip gets welded in place. You'll notice I'm using the trapezoidal ends on the strips again. This is to prevent the sharp corner from punching through the positive protectors and shorting to the negative casing. That's just too exciting for my taste. I'm a very boring person when it comes to shorting out batteries.

Once both sides are welded, I've got a 11S cluster ready to go, except for the end tabs. If you're doing this, please be sure you don't reverse the direction of the tabs on one side and end up with a bunch of dead shorts between two cells. You'll only get through the first one, but I hear that it's also incredibly exciting. Something about venting, flames, thermal runaway, and a really bad time.

DSCF5828.jpg

DSCF5829.jpg

Finally - all 4 modules are welded up and ready for the next step.

DSCF5830.jpg

Connection Tabs & End Insulation
Despite what some people insist on doing, you can't solder directly to 18650 end caps. All the manufacturers say not to, and it dumps a lot of heat into the cells that shouldn't be there. I can touch one of the ends immediately after welding to it and it's faintly warm to the touch. You might not want to try that with soldering onto the battery.

So, I need connection tabs to solder to. I also need to insulate these things very well.

At the top of the picture, you can see two strips of insulating paper used to insulate the ends of the cells. At the bottom, in red, is my connection tab protector. This adds a layer of protection between the connection tab and the plastic wrapper around the negative terminal. A short here is bad, so I want to ensure it won't happen.

DSCF5832.jpg

With the tab on, you can see how it's protected by the thick insulating paper. Once the wire is soldered on, I'll add more hot glue to keep this from moving at all.

DSCF5833.jpg

The negative terminal doesn't need the additional protection. It's already soldered to the case, so the only thing it can rub through to is what it's already connected to. I'll secure it as well once the pack is assembled, though.

DSCF5834.jpg

A bit more insulating paper, and the first layer is complete.

DSCF5835.jpg

However, for the sake of redundancy and not having pack failures, I'm adding another layer.

DSCF5836.jpg

There are now two full layers of insulating paper on each side of the module. They'll face each other, so there are four layers plus whatever is holding the modules together. This should prevent any shorts. I do try to overbuild the packs because they're going into a rough environment - bicycles are not a particularly gentle method of transportation, and I intend my packs to last, safely.

DSCF5838.jpg

Pack Assembly
With all the modules done, it's time to assemble them into a pack. This is how they need to go.

DSCF5840.jpg

I searched for something that would hold the modules together firmly, but also would have a slight cushioning effect on vibration.

My double sticky 3M trim tape proved perfect. It's an incredibly sticky double sided foam tape that I use in a variety of projects, and still have a huge roll of.

Two strips of it between each module looks like it'll work perfectly.

DSCF5841.jpg

A quick test fit before I expose the second adhesive side, and things fit wonderfully!

DSCF5842.jpg

Excellent. One nicely stuck together pack. This thing is properly solid.

DSCF5843.jpg

Crimp Connector Experimentation
The final step in the pack build is wiring up the connections. This requires coming from 4 tabs on each side to a single wire going into the BMS.

I'm not worried about the current - each module will only take 2-3A total. However, I do want to ensure I have a strong, safe, robust connection. And nothing works better than experimentation.

This is what I'm starting with. Two wires on one side, one on the other, and an uninsulated crimp connector barrel.

DSCF5844.jpg

It turns out that this actually works perfectly for what I need. The crimp barrel is oversized for the wires, but as it crushes, the single wire remains in the bottom and the two incoming wires slide off to the sides. With a bit of careful crimping and forming, there's a tight round connection that holds all the wires very firmly. This is exactly what I wanted - but it's still not insulated.

DSCF5845.jpg

Fortunately, heat shrink works perfectly. This is a nice bit of adhesive heat shrink tube and it insulates perfectly. As it heats up, the glue inside melts, and when the heat shrink cools, it glues to the wires, ensuring it stays firmly in position and isn't going anywhere.

For the actual pack, I'll double heat shrink the connections. There's plenty of room.

DSCF5846.jpg

Electrical Wiring
I've started building the actual pack wiring now out of 14 gauge wire. These are the junctions on the positive side, and are crimped and have a double layer of heat shrink tubing on them. They should be fine.

DSCF5847.jpg

And the connections are installed and heat shrunk. I'm using a 4-2-1 join, much as you'd find on a nice exhaust header (I may rebuild ebike packs, but I'm still a car guy)!

DSCF5848.jpg

The negative side is wired up similarly, but is "backwards" compared to the postitive side.

DSCF5849.jpg

After the wiring is in place, the hot glue gun comes out again to secure the wiring against vibration and motion. Hot glue is cheap, and I don't want things moving in relation to one another.

DSCF5850.jpg

It's alive! I've done the final 2 into 1 connection with crimp connectors of a different variety, and they're heat shrunk down. The negative connection includes the thermistor, which will be properly placed later.

DSCF5851.jpg

As a final step before inserting the pack in the housing, the top of the pack (where it faces the BMS) gets two layers of insulating paper. If you get the idea that I don't want things shorting out, you'd be correct.

DSCF5852.jpg

The new pack snug in half the casing.

DSCF5853.jpg

And, about an hour later, I got here!

The pack is back together, tested as far as I can test it, and seems to work. Getting it together involved removing a lot of the black goop that held things together initially. It was a process of "Fit things, find what doesn't fit, remove some goo, repeat." And, eventually, it's back together!

The pack isn't quite as water tight as it was - I did discover some rubber o-ring type material in the groove. But, it looks like it works, and it should be a nice upgrade over the stock pack!

DSCF5854.jpg

Thoughts & Conclusion
This pack is a pain in the ass. There's no other way to describe it. It's incredibly difficult to get apart, and it's a very non-trivial pack to rebuild.

I really don't understand why BionX went this way with the pack. A bunch of foam padding would have worked just as well to keep the pack in position, but wouldn't have made this brutally difficult to get apart. The layout is a transition between their early packs and their later packs with a full BMS (where you do need the parallel groups), but it doesn't seem to have worked well, based on the horror show of negative voltages.

I'm glad it's back together. One down, one to go.

If you have one of these and it's dead, at least you know it's rebuildable. Though, it's not going to be cheap. The labor required to rebuild this pack is very significant, and the pack will never look the same again.

Absolutely beautiful documentation.

Wish I had had this to look at before tearing down my Ride+ pack. It took me hours to work up the courage to use the kinds of force that were required to open the battery.

My goal was simpler, I just wanted to tap the battery to allow an RC LIPO booster pack to be added in parallel to the Bionx battery. So, I didn't need to open the battery brick, I just tapped the big red and black wires by soldering in two lengths of 12 ga wire and taking them out through the "front" of the case. They go to the 11s 5Ah 20c LIPO pack that I carry in a bag on top of the rear rack the Bionx battery slides into. In my case, it roughly doubled the range of the bike. Since then I have roughly 1000 miles on the bike and my impression is that the system is better now than immediately after adding the booster battery. Perhaps the "gentler" usage allowed the Bionx pack to regain some of its lost capacity. I have not had any trouble with spokes and I am pretty heavy, so by 2011, Trek must have gotten the spokes right, or I have been lucky.

In any case, thank you for posting so much detail. It will be VERY helpful if I ever choose to re-enter the battery.

icerider said:
Absolutely beautiful documentation.

Thanks! I try. There's a remarkable lack of teardown/rebuild information for older ebike battery packs. I want to provide the information for people who know what they're doing to feel comfortable to dive in and rebuild their own packs, and I'm also spinning up a small side business rebuilding packs for people. It drives me nuts that companies basically abandon their ebikes after a few years and leave riders hanging in the breeze when it comes to the fact that batteries die, either from use, or from sitting off the charger too long.

Wish I had had this to look at before tearing down my Ride+ pack. It took me hours to work up the courage to use the kinds of force that were required to open the battery.

Well, in part 1, I actually link to your post as how I knew that it was going to be a complete pain in the ass to open. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66445 ;) Otherwise it would have taken me a long while as well. I just didn't copy the hyperlinks over when I copied the post to ES. I quite appreciated it, though it still took me close to an hour of hard work to get the thing apart. And your post provided me enough information to know I stood a good chance of rebuilding this thing (that it was a BionX system similar to what I knew with the older ones).

Since then I have roughly 1000 miles on the bike and my impression is that the system is better now than immediately after adding the booster battery. Perhaps the "gentler" usage allowed the Bionx pack to regain some of its lost capacity. I have not had any trouble with spokes and I am pretty heavy, so by 2011, Trek must have gotten the spokes right, or I have been lucky.

It's certainly possible. I've got another one of these to pull apart and will probably create another blog post on it's condition, but I've pulled apart a handfull of the older series-than-parallel packs, and none of them have cells driven negative. They're just all dead. Cycling the pack at a low C-rate (which is what you were doing by paralleling another battery) may have improved the balance over time and given you more capacity. It's hard to tell without more information and there's no information available without really pulling everything apart.

In any case, thank you for posting so much detail. It will be VERY helpful if I ever choose to re-enter the battery.

You're welcome! If you do pull the pack out, I'd discharge it as much as you can first. At least to low voltage cutoff, and if you're planning to rebuild it, this isn't a bad pack to flatten entirely (drain it down to 0v, accept the cells are scrap, but you're probably rebuilding it because they're already close to scrap). You run a very high risk of physically damaging cells pulling the pack apart, and if a few cells run away from being internally shorted, things would get far too exciting, far too quickly. There shouldn't be enough energy at around 2.7v/cell to do much, but it's worth considering.

You run a very high risk of physically damaging cells pulling the pack apart, and if a few cells run away from being internally shorted, things would get far too exciting, far too quickly. There shouldn't be enough energy at around 2.7v/cell to do much, but it's worth considering.

I did have that experience on a small scale. I was building a small 2s2p pack of Sony cells (I recovered from a dead Bionx battery) to run a headlight and managed to short one of the fully charged cells while it was in my hand. The offending conductor went incandescent and the cell essentially instantly went to a temperature that was much to hot to hold comfortably.

I threw the cell away. Lesson learned, I hope.

That a charged 18650 will happily source enough current to spot weld anything that brushes over a short circuit path doesn't help either.

Yep, your idea of doing the work with the cells at LVC seems a good one. I would not have thought of it but I certainly will now. There is always time to charge AFTER the battery is fully assembled. Gonna do something that might make a fire, make it a small fire, I like it.

icerider said:
Yep, your idea of doing the work with the cells at LVC seems a good one. I would not have thought of it but I certainly will now. There is always time to charge AFTER the battery is fully assembled. Gonna do something that might make a fire, make it a small fire, I like it.

Quite honestly, lithium batteries scare the shit out of me. Anything that can easily enter into thermal runaway with flames I treat with a lot of respect.

I'll assemble packs at storage voltage (around 3.61-3.65v/cell depending on temperature), and that's more than enough energy to make things exciting if they short - but likely low enough that they won't totally destroy themselves. I plan to test a few to destruction at some point, though, just to get a feel for how they behave.

For pack teardowns, honestly, I've never had to worry about it. All the packs I get are well sub-1v/cell, which doesn't have enough energy left to really worry about.

Updated with the rebuild in post #3.

icerider said:
Beautiful work.

Thanks! This is a quite labor intensive rebuild. :/

A random note on these packs:

If you have a chirping, warble, beeping, or other sort of alarm sound every half an hour or so, charge the pack. That's the "I'm low, please charge me..." alarm.

An old thread, I know, but invaluable to me.

I tore down the orig knuckle-busting pack and looked at how it was assembled, scratching my head on how I could duplicate it.
Your idea of just building 4 packs of 11s solved my problem! My Trek+ will ride again!

Back