trouble opening casing for hub motor

clac

1 µW
I have a PWR Dually ebike with AKM hub motors. One of the hub motors is not working properly and I want to get inside it to look at the gears and see how I can service the motor. I’ve contacted the manufacturer repeatedly but they are not getting back to me. I’ve tried other routes to no avail. So I’m hoping you can give me guidance on how to open the casing in order to access the motor.

As you can see by the photo below, it is not the standard hub motor casing. I just need to know how to open it, what tool I need – where I can get it. And also any info on getting replacement parts for the gears, etc.

IMG_0489.jpg

One of hte side covers probably threads directly in, like this DAPU motor here:

Best guess without seeing the other side is that you'd need to make a tool to engage at least two of the holes at the base of the cassette freehub that will give you leverage enough to turn the cover (probably counter-clockwise).

As for replacement parts...usually there aren't any, or it's cheaper to replace the whole thing, but sometimes you can find compatible parts on aliexpress if you are willing to spend the hours, days, or weeks searching and trying to get measurements and specs from the sellers.

Back