TSDZ2 - rear light - buck converter?

PeterpDahl

100 mW
Hi I have a TSDZ2 running standard firmware. I have the version that can give 6v for lights.

I have bought a rearlight meant for a motorcycle, so that means 12v.. I tried to connect it to the 6v from the TSDZ, but it needs a higher voltage to turn on.

Will it be safe to run a small buck converter to raise the voltage from the 6v to the lowest needed voltage to have the light work?
I'm only running a rearlight, no front light.

This is the taillight I'm using: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-School-Retro-LED-Tail-Light-Bates-Style-Black-Casing-Red-Lens/252003717784

This is the type of converter I'm thinking of: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2596-DC-DC-Adjustable-Power-Supply-Step-Down-Module-Buck-Converter-3V-35V/283630220212

From the listing:

"Input must be 2.7V > than output"

This means that it won't work, as this is a step-down converter only.

Ahh yes you’re right, I’ll find the right one. The question is probably more if the tsdz2 controller will be able to handle it.

It depends on how much current the light draws, TSDZ2 light output can provide only about 500mA and some people have reported the controller failing when using too powerful lamp. Usually rear lights don't use so much power though. With a voltage converter you need to take into account the loss of the converter as well. Best to check first the current draw from a 12V source, if it's less than 400mA I'd think you are safe.

PeterpDahl said:
Will it be safe to run a small buck converter to raise the voltage from the 6v to the lowest needed voltage to have the light work?
I'm only running a rearlight, no front light.

It may help in your searching to use the correct terminology. A buck converter lowers voltage. A boost converter raises voltage. A buck-boost will do both (your link).

If the output is limited to 500mA @ 6V, or 3 watts, then accounting for losses of the boost converter, your 12v light should be limited to less than 250mA/3 watts, so not too bright.

Back