Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

Nice, I actually am pretty good in a wheelchair myself (wheelsstands all day boy!). I watched the ORange County Choppers episode of a trike built for this guy with all hand controls and they just used a tractor seat which had alot of support, and of course they chopped it down a little and recovered it in leather. Might be something to invest in as you could use it for any ride you build. Lookin good so far. Are you gonna put ape hangers on this beast? Since you are already using actuators, have you thought about trying one to shift the hub? Push button shifting would be uber sick. :twisted:

etard said:
Nice, I actually am pretty good in a wheelchair myself (wheelsstands all day boy!). I watched the ORange County Choppers episode of a trike built for this guy with all hand controls and they just used a tractor seat which had alot of support, and of course they chopped it down a little and recovered it in leather. Might be something to invest in as you could use it for any ride you build. Lookin good so far. Are you gonna put ape hangers on this beast? Since you are already using actuators, have you thought about trying one to shift the hub? Push button shifting would be uber sick. :twisted:

I have every episode of American Chopper including that one! I went to the Hot Rod and Street Machine show a few weeks back
there was a HOT lil lass there in a wheelchair i had seen her trike on the Nightly News a few weeks earlier shes a full para and this is her ride-->

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

this is a picture i took of a picture that showed how she carts her wheelie chair about..

IMG_2666.jpg

I was in awe i mumbled under my breath "yeah i got a trike myself..." dont think she heard hahaha

With regards to the "tractor seat" for added support i don't require it thankfully. I'm an incomplete
paraplegic as such have leg strength that can support me somewhat i also have full stomach muscle
etc unlike paras...If youwant an idea of the balance they have sit on a chair lift your feet up off the
ground and try and lean left right forward and back WITHOUT the use of your feet for any support, its
like that BUT worse for them...hence the need for high back seats

Paul....D]DUDE I AM WAITING

Wait no longer buddy -
Update

WE have a seat mount! A sprung seat mount even!! LoL

I gotta say it takes some time carving up this 4mm steel plate
my poor little mini bench drill struggles to drill anything
bigger than 5-6mm holes, strains and complains DAMN got my moneys
worth out of the lil GMC drill though hahaha Pics of
the complete mount assembly-->

Frame_fab_series_pic4_seat_tray.jpg

As i have mentioned on pic (10) the assemble is just fitted
loosely to the frame with bolts nothing is tightened i was just
double checking everything had remained square after the welding
process...thankfully it did :)Should help smooooth out any bumps
i encounter on the cycle way which to be honest isn't alot
we are bleassed with niiiiice smoooth paths up here
in the hills and the roads are also top notch...im
ready though shall go looking for some bumps even hahaa

Tomorrow i think i will tackle another bottom bracket, shall
follow the same method used for the first one with exception
I wont need to extend another axle i have been given an original
Schwin OCC Chopper axle (Thanks Matt (1000watt) )
and the measurements from seat to bottom bracket by good ol YPedal at
Endless Sphere cheers bud...shall have bottom bracket 26in from the
top of seat should be ideal for my leg length/height etc...

I think also i will make a gusset for the head tube, ol
BMX styling like the Mongoose used to have with exception
ill do a single in the center i don't believe it needs
strengthening it is notched and welded well but to be
double sure a lil stylish gusset will add additional
strength and very little weight, i will use 2.5mm plate
for this same as i have used on the bottom bracket gusset..

Also...I don't recall if i mentioned here yesterday but
i got word from Recumpence, my motor and throttle interface
have arrived at his place in the USA, he advised me he
will have the drive made motor fitted and on its way
in 7-10days. Matt is FLAT OUT at the moment and there
is upto a month wait on Reduction drives due to a couple
of full bikes he has sold and is assembling
for the customers (he is agent for KMX trikes) i thank
Matt for expediting my drive unit fabrication...I shall
however slow the pace down slightly on the fab of the
bike or i will be twiddling my thumbs for a week or
two with nothing to do till the drive arrive LoL

Shall return tomorrow with an update of the days progress
thanks for the continued support and interest it is great
to see people following the build it makes taking the time
to document the whole procedure more worth while when i
know im not the only one viewing it :)...

Ciao for now...

KiM

Paul.............D said:
Hi

That is some nice trike, nice work kim it wont be long before the frame is finished :D

Paul

Yeah it wasn't bad Paul hand operated shifting, a local mob sell the trike kits as well as industrial grade machinery, i been there on a handful of occasions looking at what they have to offer unfortunately all of it is out of my price bracket LoL...Fiora Machinery is the company if you want to checkout what they have on offer...Personally this was my fav trike they had at the show-->

IMG_2663.jpg

As to the frame YES its pretty well done now TBH mate its fully welded only really needs prep before paint and i may just go with powdercoat on this one ill ring my mate Matt (1000watt) and see if he is free to pick it up next week and take it down he gets a GREAT deal on powdercoatng 50 bucks for a frame thats cheaper than i can buy two pac paint to spray it !!! that includes sandblasting so i wont have to do jack to it prep wise! I will be going with same colour as Matt did on his Cruiser, metalic blue...<--very much this shade :)

Ill be onto the forks soon i have to leave the stabiliser till i have both the actuator and reduction drive from Matt and that will be at the very very least 3 weeks away so there will be a break in this build while awaiting components.

KiM

G'day All.... i didnt do alot today, decide the seat mount could do with a bit of a lightening every little bit helps right ;) Prolly only took of as much as a good shit but none the less its that little bit of weight saved...

Frame_fab_series_pic4_seat_Lighetend%20_tray.jpg

KiM

G'day Fellas...

Yeah that looks the shizz Paul...be nice with a high powered RC setup thats for sure..

Trike HUBS!! I will use a trike hub on the rear, they have three holes in them already from where the
studs on the trike axle slide into i will utilise these and simple bolt everything onto them directly they
take a nice 15mm axle too so extra strength there!! I took a few pics to show the ample room i have to run left side
chain for the manual pedals WITH a disk brake..Only need to skim ~10-15mm off the pulley and that will line up
with the reduction drive how easy is that! These pulleys are in abundant supply to there was wall full of them
i could get a few of them in various sizes to dial in higer speeds for when i want to have some "fun" for
cruising what i have now will max around 50km/hr use 44 volt.. i think for me is ample for now
and it should climb any hill with easy...

Custom_RC-Crusier_Mock_Up.jpg

NB: The Handle bars, fairing, forks and front wheel will NOT be used on finished bike...24in front rim will also be used not 26as pictured

I shall still grab a 3 speed hub from Choppers US for now though using the trike hub will expedite getting the bike mobile
in quicker time...the 3 speed can be an "upgrade" in the near future :)

Back too it...

KiM

Hay kim,
you are the man,i remeber reading you quoting yourself as a apprentice gangsta .nah
mate with your builds,in my books you are like the f#$kn Don perignon of tha whole capone family... :lol:
youve got wicked skills,definatly makes me look forward to getting home from work to see your updates on e.s
Thanks m8
Alex

Thanks Alex and Paul for the supportive words much appreciated :) R:: Gangsta LOL@f#$kn Dom perignon of tha whole capone family... I snorted my beer out my nose when i read that hehehe cheers mate... I will officially be GangSTA when I have the Lipos Hooked up :twisted:

It is Grand Final Day here in Australia today we dont play Soccer or GridIron as our National Sport we play AFL..Australian Rules Football..Geelong And St Kilda battle it out in under an hour for premiership glory, neither are the team i support unfortunately but i have a croud coming around none the less, bar-b-q is warming and the beer is cold...no work will be done on Cruiser this weekend...

I do have a couple of pics that maybe of interest...I was looking the seat mount pivot point and after Travis (IronSpadeCycles) from RatRodBikes commented on lining the tube with brass i recalled that we did exactly that on the suspension of the 1/8th scale buggies i raced as a teenager to help with wear..Well..i poked around in my scrap metal pile and found some brass that slid neatly into the steel tube of the pivot point with ~0.5mm to spare..light smear of JB Weld will be used to hold it in place permanently when full assembly takes place, this will wear over time when the joint pivots, when it needs to be replaced it will be simply as running a 1/2in drill bit through the hole and replace the copper! This wont be in a couple of years and i doubt i will ever need to replace it the bike will more likely be a memory by then and a new one in the garage never the less it is a lil more "professional" that steel bolt on steel tube...

Pivot_point_bushing_1.jpg

I have also re-sketched the linear actuator design i have for mounting the actuator on the front side of the seat tube...

Linear_actuator_sketch_1.jpg

Now please be aware this is just a "sketch of the method" it is NOT to scale, the levers will be altered accordingly so the necessary range of motion is obtained to both raise and lower the stabilisers.

Back in a few days with another update..

KiM

I just dropped in to see your progress.
The bike looks very nice.
I cant wait to see the drivetrain.

mikehains I wont be using straight meanwell PSU i will use one to power the Lipo Charger though, I'll
also be charging them all in parallel :) ...GangSTa enough for me ...hehee

Spad4me GREAT to see you joined up on ES buddy ....I may have jumped the gun on the trike hub, ill see
how much time i can get on the metal lathe at my mates work, i will need to turn up adapters for each side...
Either way the drivetrain will remain electric drive right side manual pedal drive left side with disk brake...I
will not compromise on brakes its disks or nothing....and seeing nothing isn't really an option i WILL make disks work!
two up front and one on the rear!

I will look into widening a mountain bike hub i have here tomorrow, I have a heap of bottom bracket threaded cups to use for left hand thread on the left hand side of the wheel...

To all those that liked my trike best not read on...

I have changed my mind on keeping it in one piece...It is to be stripped :cry: ! don't stress just yet thought...it WILL be resurrected in the not too distant future so you will get to see yet ANOTHER custom built trike from me :) I'll use the twin disk hub from the front and both the rear rims on the cruiser (setup with different pulleys sizes for street cruising and for some 1/4mile fun :) ) The bars will definitely be used possibly the bar clamps if i can work them into the Girvin fork design...Obviously the seat also will be nabbed for the Cruiser... The rest shall be stowed away as i will re-use the frame...albeit in "modified" form :: hint :: independent rear suspension :eek: .

I'm awaiting some measurements from Recumpence on the linear actuator lengths closed and open before i can start the stabilisers ... Bout all i can do till then is the front bottom bracket. Thursday i will buy a length of tubing for the custom forks...

Cheers for the positive comments fellas :)

Back when i have an update...

KiM

Update

Another rather boring update but again something that needed to be done so pictures were taken...

The second extra wide bottom bracket the crankshaft will be mounted in was made-->

Extra_wide_BB_fab_series_pic_2.jpg

I cut 3 bottom brackets from the donor bikes before i found one that wasn't hollowed out at each 'joint'
I also found out my aging compressor has given up the ghost when i went to die grind the tube to extend
the shaft LUCKILY my mate Matt came to the rescue popping around with the shaft from his old OCC Chopper!
We also went for another kerbside run before the rubbish is collected this week...

I also recieved in the mail today thanks to Reid Welsh his old Drain Brain! BIG THANKYOU to Reid for this
contribution to "the cause"

IMG_3043.jpg

The blue DB (old Cycle Anaylist model) comes with speedo (and you did include the wheel magnet Reid its
in the bag with the mounting hardware buddy!
) You thought you had misplaced it if i recall correctly? The
Blue housing will match the paint job too WHICH coincidently will also be blue, Ford XY GTHO Phase III metallic blue
to be precise, my good buddy Mick has kindly donated enough two pak to paint the frame (he has a been
restoring his XY for ~15 years 99% done now hence i get the remaining paint for my bike LoL)
Thanks Mick :)

I need to fix my compressor before i can notch the tubing where the extra wide bottom bracket
will be mounted, failing that ill have my mate bring his around so i can use it ...

Back soon gents

KiM

Hey Kim,

Sorry, I haven't been around. I will be measuring your actuators today. I will get back to you very soon. I am at the shop doing a bunch of work today. I will be doing your motor face plate today as well. All I am waiting on for your stuff to ship is your main pulley. That item is not in stock yet. Once it arrives, it will be CNCed (making the spiffy looking 4 spoke patern). Then the whole order will ship. :D

Matt

G'day Matt...No Stress AT ALL buddy i know your flat out :) ....GREAT news on the drive as you could imagine im SUPER excited to get my hands on it hehee.. appreciate if you have the time to get some measurements of the actuator too Matt, i assume it will fit in no probs but before i start welding brackets all willy nilly i thought it best to check...

I also got a PM from a EVA member Nickname "Richo" he has been trying to contact
you via your website email to order a reduction drive, i have assured him your able to provide the unit and that the reason for the delay is your hectic schedule as you have explained to me recently (hope those trikes are coming along nicely too Matt :) ) If you could possibly check through your inbox for his inquiry? he definitely wants a reduction drive he is converting a mini chopper using the same model Turnigy as myself...

Cheers Matt :)

KiM

recumpence said:
Kim,

Your pulley is in stock. I spent the whole day filling VRDub's trike drive order. Your will be done by the end of the week. :D

Matt

WooooHoooo... Excellent Matt ...thanks mate

I shall change the link in my sig to include shumaker@owc.net rather than the website :) Shall pass this onto
Richo now :)

Thanks Matt

KiM

Not so much an Update today, i spent most of the afternoon stripping and sorting through donor bikes so i can
chuck what i dont need and make room. The headsets and bottom brackets are cut along with any decent lengths of tube, hubs
rims and any 3 piece cranks of worth are packed away for future use the rest is ready for the scrap metal merchant :)
I also stripped my compressor down to find the motor is burnt out :-( !00 buck compressor has lasted me a good 4 years
so i no complain...shall have to pick up another in a couple of weeks when funds allow...

I have also pretty much stripped my trike down, seeing i had the forks off the trike i set them up on the cruiser frame to
gauge better the distance i will have from the front down tube to the front wheel, with mountain bike forks on
the frame it is close call for the pedals hitting the front tire if i place the bottom bracket where I had planned
to put it, my mind was put at rest when i put the springers on, theres HEAPS of room ...

Custom_RC-Crusier_Mock_Up_springer_fork_1.jpg

I shall cut ~3inches off the forks, and also re-angle the rocker to be ~90 degrees to the fork tube, the springer tube will
obviously need re-sizing to do this. I should reduce the weight of the fork a little with the reduction in length...
I think i might also make new rockers, i would like to try the disk callipers position at the rear of the
rotor rather than its current position on top of the rotor.

Shall cut the fork up tomorrow and return with pics of a nice lowered front end on the cruiser...I want the same hight as
it had with the mountain bike forks, with the 3inch trail on the springer i will still have ample pedal clearance
from the tire, the pedals will also still clear the ground by 4 inches :)

Back soon

KiM

I bet if you post a pic of that compressor motor with the label showing, the guys on here could source you one cheap.

I've never seen such a group of resourceful people.

TPA said:
I bet if you post a pic of that compressor motor with the label showing, the guys on here could source you one cheap.

I've never seen such a group of resourceful people.

Prolly could but seeing they would also more than likey be in USA or Canada and freight on Unite motor is more than i paid for the compressor ($AU98) plus the jigging around installing it its cheaper and easier to pick up another $100 compressor me thinks. Would also like to get a slightly larger compressor so i can do away with my big storage tank and get a lil more under bench space back :) Cheers for the thought though TPA ..

KiM

I have gotten another hunk of metal in the same eye i did week or so ago, was just about healed and i go and do it again, i'm so careful ALWAYS using safety glasses and yet i still never fail to get crap in my eyez...have made a doctors appointment for 2.10pm tomorrow (earliest i could get) in case the drops i picked up from the chemist today dont make a difference, i cant go out in the sunlight with eyez open i have to wear sunglases to look at the LCD...

I did also pick up some tubing for a set of new forks (i will still be making a Girvin style fork as well as shortening the springers so i can decide which i prefer more :)

Compressor...my #1 test rider Flavio has offered me his compressor for a VERY resonable price its is 1hp larger than mine with double size sotrage tank so i'm rapt with that!

Back when i can guyz sorry for the delay....will only be a day or two...

KiM

Somewhere I might be able to find one of these you can borrow for your shop times:
zero11.jpg
If it'll stop micrometeorites maybe it'll help. :p

Back