Turnigy Nanotechs

Xanda2260

100 W
Hey guys, apologies if this is the wrong section, but seems to apply.
This isn't strictly about ebikes, but this is the only place I know with people who know what they are talking about.

I recently bought some lovely nanotech 1s cells for my micro heli. They are 35C continuous and 70C burst. Unfortunately I cannot find the max charge rate anywhere. Apparently some nanotechs can handle 15C! But then, some can also handle 90C discharges...

I'm guessing at about 10C max for these, but it is just a guess. Charged em at 4C and they didn't get warm.

Does anyone know what max charge rate is for these babies? Or a way to find out? (do they start getting hot when pushed too hard?)

Thanks in advance

Alex

Sent using the might of the Android Army!

Really? Why would you only expect 10C from a cell advertised to be able to do 35C continuous, 70C burst? I had no idea some Lipos can only handle 15C. As far as the charge rate... I thought I read Nanotechs are good up to 5C when charging.

Also I think you already know this, but most ebikers don't really push the C-rates from their Lipos like the RC guys do. So you might get a better answer from the RC forum.

Lots of us have pushed the C rate of various lipo. You will find most turnigy will produce what it claims. I have a 4s 30c max rated 5ah pac I pulled 350 amps out with my battery load tester. Thats over double what its rated for. I dont sugest going past the ratings. But you can get close to the ratings. If you only want 15c then nano techs are a waste of money. (good battery but rated and priced way higher)

It seems they can handle about 1/10 of the max discharge rate when charging, which is 7C in your case. That's just a rough understanding I get from viewing some of the Nanotech specs. The 25-50C discharge handle's 5C charging, and the 45-90C handles 10C charging, so it looks like about 1/10.

(sorry. realize i'm repeating here.. someone posted while i was writing lol )
There are many Nano-Tech cells with different specs.. i have the 25~50C discharge and those are 5C charge

the lower internal resistance of the higher quality nanotech cells can take higher charge rates..

That being said, when we consider the size of some ebike packs we use, 5C + gets to the limit of most chargers.. or AC outlets...

tiny little RC cells.. sure.. fry'em ..

Sacman said:
Really? Why would you only expect 10C from a cell advertised to be able to do 35C continuous, 70C burst? I had no idea some Lipos can only handle 15C. As far as the charge rate... I thought I read Nanotechs are good up to 5C when charging.

Also I think you already know this, but most ebikers don't really push the C-rates from their Lipos like the RC guys do. So you might get a better answer from the RC forum.

Apologies, I should have been clearer.
Im not expecting discharge to be 10C, I'm assuming CHARGE rate to be 10C. Cannot find the max CHARGE rate listed anywhere. All I can find is a hobbyking advert saying 'some nanotech batteries can charge at 15C!'.
What I want to know is, can mine charge that fast. As the highest DISCHARGE rate for nanotechs seems to be 90C, I assumed that the 15C charge rate was for them.
My cells are 70C burst discharge, so assuming discharge rate and charge rate are related in some way (big assumption as I know very little about is stuff), I should be able to charge at something like 70/90 x 15 = 11.6C. I'd be happy with 10C.

Arlo, I bought nanotechs for fast recharge capability (and they were dirt cheap), I doubt my microheli could pull 70C from these things!

Thanks guys, and sorry I'm doing a piss poor job of explaining this!

bearing said:
It seems they can handle about 1/10 of the max discharge rate when charging, which is 7C in your case. That's just a rough understanding I get from viewing some of the Nanotech specs. The 25-50C discharge handle's 5C charging, and the 45-90C handles 10C charging, so it looks like about 1/10.

Ha ha! Got that in while I was typing!

If that is true then that'll do fine. That's about 4.2A per cell, or 16.8A when chargingg all 4 in parallel.

I may just go slam juice in to one of them until it smokes, they only cost £2!

Xanda2260 said:
Cannot find the max CHARGE rate listed anywhere.

Where are you looking?
Just open a product page and scroll down to "Product Config Table". Search the list for "Max Charge Rate (C)". Should be hard to miss, right?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17257__Turnigy_nano_tech_5000mah_10S_35_70C_Lipo_Pack.html

bearing said:
Xanda2260 said:
Cannot find the max CHARGE rate listed anywhere.

Where are you looking?
Just open a product page and scroll down to "Product Config Table". Search the list for "Max Charge Rate (C)". Should be hard to miss, right?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17257__Turnigy_nano_tech_5000mah_10S_35_70C_Lipo_Pack.html

Incredibly hard to miss, unfortunately for this battery, it says Max Charge Rate = 0. :(

Here's the actual page
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=20385

Oh, then that battery is not chargeable I'm afraid. Use one time only.

No, just kidding. But If you look at some of these smaller cells, you can see that many of them are 2C charging, so the safe way would be to use that limit. Ask Hobby king!

Ok Xanda, i think you should try only one (1s) cell. Try to charge @10C, test it, load it, check the capacity. Now try to charge @20C, test, load, check.
Still not puffy ? Ok try 30C charge and so on ...
I agree with you, HobbyKing is not very accurate with max charge capacity.

So far tried max charge rate of 7C. Cell got to 'not feeling cold', ie when you put your hand on it, it doesn't feel cool. Charge took 12mins 20s, and put 568mah in to a 600mah cell. Fast enough for me, as the cells last around 12mins in the heli!
We'll see how they cope.

Most chrges are 1C, I only fast charge when needed in a hurry!

Back