Using a non-fat tire on the front wheel of a fatbike

swbf

1 mW
Is there any reason why a normal wheel for the front of a fatbike wouldn't work?

Most of the weight is sitting on the rear wheel, so the front wheel doesn't need to handle as much weight, except maybe when cornering.
A thinner wheel would have less rolling resistance, weight, and drag, and would be easier to control.

Seems like it would increase the range on your bike. Has anyone tested this before?

Is there any reason why a normal wheel for the front of a fatbike wouldn't work?

Most of the weight is sitting on the rear wheel, so the front wheel doesn't need to handle as much weight, except maybe when cornering.
A thinner wheel would have less rolling resistance, weight, and drag, and would be easier to control.

Seems like it would increase the range on your bike. Has anyone tested this before?
Seems like the benefits touted by fat tire bikes are being able to ride on loose surfaces, sand, or snow, etc.; so I guess you'd lose all of that.

Seems like the benefits touted by fat tire bikes are being able to ride on loose surfaces, sand, or snow, etc.; so I guess you'd lose all of that.
Honestly I'm only planning to use it for roads. The reason I went for a fatbike was for higher load capacity, larger frame, and smoother ride at high speeds. Higher load and frame are because I want to add a back seat and run 2 batteries for range.

when bike is used for winter ride replacing front tire with narrow would be very bad idea, but for summer rides why would you use fat tires ebike at all

If this fat bike is going to be run with a conventional front wheel, it's going to need to be offset to the left for the brake to work.

You can avoid all that "make it work" jazz by replacing the fattie front fork with a conventional one set up for a 27.5" or 29". Theses are cheap, starting at less than a hundred bucks, and it would allow you to do the job right - WITH brake.

As far as making it ride worse on pavement, I would beg to disagree. Been down this road with a fattie, one that's since been converted to 27.5x2.8". No tire roar, and no more self steering when run at speed on pavement. 27.5x2.8 Schwalbe Super Moto X tires can be run down to 20 psi while maintaining very low rolling resistance. WAY lower resistance than the fatties run. Less bulk = better handling, less rolling resistance, and equal if not better ride. The ONLY advantage a fatties has is flotation, and the only time that's necessary is on snow or sand......

If this fat bike is going to be run with a conventional front wheel, it's going to need to be offset to the left for the brake to work.

You can avoid all that "make it work" jazz by replacing the fattie front fork with a conventional one set up for a 27.5" or 29". Theses are cheap, starting at less than a hundred bucks, and it would allow you to do the job right - WITH brake.

As far as making it ride worse on pavement, I would beg to disagree. Been down this road with a fattie, one that's since been converted to 27.5x2.8". No tire roar, and no more self steering when run at speed on pavement. 27.5x2.8 Schwalbe Super Moto X tires can be run down to 20 psi while maintaining very low rolling resistance. WAY lower resistance than the fatties run. Less bulk = better handling, less rolling resistance, and equal if not better ride. The ONLY advantage a fatties has is flotation, and the only time that's necessary is on snow or sand......
Thanks, this is super informative.

I'll give it a shot and see if I can get the same experience. If it worked for you, then it might work for me. Better handling is what I'm looking for, and less rolling resistance/weight will help with range and torque.

Thanks, this is super informative.

I'll give it a shot and see if I can get the same experience. If it worked for you, then it might work for me. Better handling is what I'm looking for, and less rolling resistance/weight will help with range and torque.
I converted the rear as well, but it was much more difficult. I used the hub the bike came with, bought a 27.5 rim, then re-spoked the new rim to the original hub with a set of good spokes.

I converted the rear as well, but it was much more difficult. I used the hub the bike came with, bought a 27.5 rim, then re-spoked the new rim to the original hub with a set of good spokes.
Damn, so you have a normal rim on a fatbike hub? I wonder if that stresses the spokes.

It will influence the handling of the bike by making the head angle steeper by the front wheel having a smaller diameter, also less ground clearance, but that could be an advantage. If I were you I would consider a larger rim/tire (27.5 or 29, whichever has the better diameter) on a fatbike hub and just replace, but I would do that for both wheels.

Interesting note - You can put a 135mm dropout width rear hub motor on the 135mm dropout fat fork.

Interesting note - You can put a 135mm dropout width rear hub motor on the 135mm dropout fat fork.
That is very interesting actually. So I could just run a second motor instead of having to deal with offset wheel or buying a new fork.

Back