• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Using a tool battery as a power supply

FYI
Not many 12v systems can’t handle the 20v from a fully charged 18v tool battery. Thus you can cut out the dc-dc and run it straight from your tool batteries.

This is what I have done with my kids ride on car and a few other things over the years.

Bonus, as long as it doesn’t burn the pump out it will be faster :D :D

I wouldn't worry too much about the rf from a buck converter, they're usually pretty clean, fine for everything except instrumentation/audio and unless you're planning on selling them you don't need to worry about passing regulations... And from memory the regulations on this for battery powered devices are easier.

Obviously rethink that if you turn it on and it shuts your phone down... But for a compressor, the motor will probably generate 10x the noise from it's brushes alone.

I did that with my RC tank, came with 9.6V but I ran it from my 12V Dremel battery. It was way faster... I suppose about 30%... until it burned out. No way I'd apply 18-20V, 50% more than specified, to a 12V tool that I wanted to keep.

GoldenBunip said:
FYI
Not many 12v systems can’t handle the 20v from a fully charged 18v tool battery. Thus you can cut out the dc-dc and run it straight from your tool batteries.

This is what I have done with my kids ride on car and a few other things over the years.

Bonus, as long as it doesn’t burn the pump out it will be faster :D :D

Back