using a torque AND cadence sensor

Hangdog

100 mW
I have an EZEE geared hub motor kit from ebikes.ca which uses the CA3 and a thun torque sensor.I recently purchased the 24 pole mini PAS sensor from grin to add to the kit to compare torque sensing to cadence sensing, having both mounted on the BB and using separate presets
in the CA3 to switch back and forth.My question is,is there a good way to connect both sensors into the single PAS wire on the CA3 so I can conveniently switch back and forth without having to unplug and plug each sensor in the wiring bundle. could you build a Y adaptor for the input wires and route one wire from each thru an AB switch? or is there a way to switch it internally in the CA3?

I'm guessing you just want to compare these two specific sensors since the Thun already as an 8 pole sensor in it.

In principle, you could use a DPDT switch and switch both the RPM and DIR signals while leaving both sensors powered up. The issue here is whether you have enough current capacity in your CA to run both plus a throttle and perhaps an Aux input device or two. You could power the 24 pole sensor from the unused controller throttle connector. Just make up a JST with one wire and steal 5V from there (use the GND from the CA PAS connector) -- the PAS_24P sensor will run okay with a 5V supply instead of the 10V from the CA PAS connector.

That said, if you are trying to decide between the improvement of 24 poles vs the torque sensing of the Thun with it's crappy 8 poles, you could instead just use them both and have a 24 pole Thun. Just run both sensors as discussed above but slip the RPM and DIR signals from the PAS-24 into the Thun connector and don't use the Thun RPM and DIR signals at all. Instant 24 pole torque sensor. :D

There's a thread with info about using the BeamTS sensor for torque along with the 24pole sensor for cadence here:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94410&p=1382414&hilit=wire+cadence#p1382414

Thanks telektik...that’s an even better solution than I had in mind.I’ll set it up and try it and report back.

Thanks teklektic...I followed your suggestion and wired a connector to join the 24 pole cadence sensor with my thun
Sensor.It worked like a charm, going from eight to twenty four poles on the thun has Made its response almost immediate.A vast improvement For little money.next I’ll program the presets on the ca3 to use either sensor on demand.improved torque sensing and cadence sensing on the same system with a simple push of a button...win/ win

Back