• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Using Hubmotor Drag for Resistance Training

eSurfer

100 W
Ironically, I have been riding my hub-motor, eBike a lot without ever turning it on. I've found it's a great way to get a good workout in a short time. The magnetic resistance of the hub motor is like the resistance of an exercise bike or elliptical machine. Pretty hard to pedal, but doable. I can ride at a slow pace that my wife can keep up with, and yet get a strenuous workout.

Seems stupid to buy and eBike and not turn it on, but I'm liking it. Anybody else do this? Anything to add?

I do this also, when riding with GF. Sometimes I even turn it on and activate regen.

Must be nice to still be strong and healthy. When I was, plenty of mountains around here to ride up anytime.

Did a few time on my 30 mile rides, but only because my ping ran out of juice 2 miles before my house in the 100 + degree weather. Boy did I get a good work out probably lost 5 lbs of water...LOL

How big of a motor do you need (watts) before you get that kind of drag for a work out?

I often turn off the power or take my regular bike when I ride with my wife. She runs her geared motor around 12 mph in PAS 1.

docw009 said:
How big of a motor do you need (watts) before you get that kind of drag for a work out?

I often turn off the power or take my regular bike when I ride with my wife. She runs her geared motor around 12 mph in PAS 1.

I'm using a Magic Pie 1000 W rear hub motor, direct drive, no gearing. To keep the thing going 12 mph under human power is all I can do. It's kind of like constantly climbing a hill. It's really evened things up between my wife and I so I can get a good workout going at speeds she can handle. She is riding a regular beach cruiser, non electric and I'm riding my eBike without using the motor or even turning it on.

Back