• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

V-Day ideas

atom1025

100 W
Looking for good ideas for the wife of 15years. Xmas is easy, her bday is January 15 a little tuff to get good ideas but I handled it. Now I am flat out of ideas.

So whatcha doing for your loved one on valentines day?

Flowers are good any time you want to impress. With a nice card. I feel V-day is kind of a made up holiday,
but most women feel good ( appreciated) if they get flowers esp at work.

For my wife, it always starts with amaretto. But she's a drinker. Most impressed she ever was, was the year I cut a paper plate into a heart, and wrote All I need is a loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou. Bread and wine included of course. Part of lasting 30+ years is she's easy to please. But appreciating her the other 364 days is also key.

Flowers I take care of early, usually making sure something in the yard, or in a pot in the yard is blooming by sometime in february. I do this at home for my wife, and at work for my 68 adopted grandmothers there.

Katherine and I have a non-valentines day dinner. Booking on Tuesday means extortional prices, so we do it on the weekend either side of V-day. And bring a cheapo coupon book to reap the benefits :)

I did buy her half an e-bike for Christmas though...

My wife says, "don't spend any money on me" for all of it: birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day, V-day....all of it. She doesn't even want me spending three bucks on a card, and she means it. The ladies at work say, "She doesn't mean it. She wants cards, flowers, jewelry, etc." but my wife really doesn't want it.

I, on the other hand, love toys: bikes, cameras, electronics, etc., and she likes to buy it for me.

one year I was pseudo-complaining to my dad that my wife wouldn't let me get her a new bike for her birthday (my wife is afraid of bikes because she's crashed a few times and I wanted to get her a Trek Pure so she could have both feet comfortably flat on the ground at stops....which is when she usually falls). She said no to the bike, so my dad said, "She can't say no if I pay for half of it."

So he and I split the cost, and she couldn't take it back. And the beautiful part is that she loves it. She's never like bike riding until now. Sure, it's a slow bike, but it's extremely comfortable, and she never crashes. She takes it to the store when the weather is warm, and rides with the kids. She was so happy that she immediately made me go back out and buy a bike rack for the mini-van so that we can take our bikes on vacation. We rode all over Ana Maria Island in Florida last summer and she had a wonderful time.

Here she is (on the far left). My daughter is next to her, followed by my niece and her dad (my wife's brother). I took the pic.

895454696_sxzSy-M.jpg

I also bought her an Ipad last year, and she was bummed.

Now she can't put it down.

I've gotten it right a couple times, but most years I just make her a card and take her to dinner. That's really all she wants.

I really need to come with something good. I've never had a vday date, first time. Gf of 1 yr now. Flowers are so cliche.... I will prob get a small bunch, bring them to her work before I start my day at 11. I want to do something creative...

Back