• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Video: Just a few corners

GTR2EBIKE

10 W
Watch in HD, first 3 corners are 30-34mph and the last is 41-42 mph, maybe I can do it at 44 with a bigger run down the hill and not lifting slightly before hand :twisted:
[youtube]ZaeY2st4GsU[/youtube]

It's so nice to have a vehicle that you can joyride without bothering anyone, or polluting the air. That same ride on a IC bike could annoy the neighbours.

Cool to hear that motor squeal, instead of the brakes. 8)

8)

Super speedy looking!! I have a few BMC motors they are great arent they! so light and powerful as well, you got a magicshine as well, are you running the lights off the battery via a dc-dc converter or are you using the battery for the magicshine? I have a magicshine kit with battery but have not used it yet, its getting darker early now though so will be going on soon, I got a DC-DC converter to run mine on my e-bikes, the kit battery will be used on my normal bikes though.

Cheers for sharing the video, the bike looks to handle well, you posted any pictures of it on here?

knoxie said:
8)

Super speedy looking!! I have a few BMC motors they are great arent they! so light and powerful as well, you got a magicshine as well, are you running the lights off the battery via a dc-dc converter or are you using the battery for the magicshine? I have a magicshine kit with battery but have not used it yet, its getting darker early now though so will be going on soon, I got a DC-DC converter to run mine on my e-bikes, the kit battery will be used on my normal bikes though.

Cheers for sharing the video, the bike looks to handle well, you posted any pictures of it on here?

I'm running them off the magicshine battieres. Buying just the light heads and running the DC-DC converter is definitely a better option for an e-bike, but I run them on my road bike and mtn bike too(non electric)
I don't think i've posted any pics on here, here's one
IMG00493-20100609-0700.jpg

:shock:

Thats a beauty!! wowzers!! freaking pretty machine there buddy, such clean lines, looks a bit like a GT, I love GT bikes I have an old Panterra in the garage none electric such a nice bike to ride although i have abused it a lot over the years it could to with a few bucks spent on it :p

What controller are you using? I run 50V of lipo on my BMC they run great at that voltage, i am very careful not to over stress the gears though as the std white nylon gears are not so great at power levels over 1KW (neither is the one way bearing) if you know how to treat these motors at the higher voltages they can be reliable.

A tip for that rack of yours though, ditch the quick release bolt, I only carry 8-10lbs in my topeak racks and I have snapped 2 of the bolts dumping my batteries in the road behind me :evil: luckily both times nothing hit them and I just stopped and picked them up and peddled home.

Its a weak point if you look at the design of it :? there is a lot of shear stress placed on the bolt as it sits under tension in the clamp which is a lot bigger than the thread of the bolt, I used a dremmel tool and opened the hole out a little and fitted a big 10mm OD bolt all the way through and then fitted a split pin around that, the fact that the bolt now is twice the size and the load is being placed along its length should stop the failure from ever happening again, however the batteries are still connected by a couple of Anderson connectors so they can disengage if the worse should happen, as much as I love my Lipo pack you dont want 8lbs of batteries swinging about behind you on a wire at 40mph!! much better to dump them in the road than to fetch you off.

thanks for sharing your bike with us and if you want to see the bolt I put in mine to give you an idea I will post em, I can also post you pictures off the original clamp bolt that snapped :roll:

knoxie said:
:shock:

Thats a beauty!! wowzers!! freaking pretty machine there buddy, such clean lines, looks a bit like a GT, I love GT bikes I have an old Panterra in the garage none electric such a nice bike to ride although i have abused it a lot over the years it could to with a few bucks spent on it :p

What controller are you using? I run 50V of lipo on my BMC they run great at that voltage, i am very careful not to over stress the gears though as the std white nylon gears are not so great at power levels over 1KW (neither is the one way bearing) if you know how to treat these motors at the higher voltages they can be reliable.

A tip for that rack of yours though, ditch the quick release bolt, I only carry 8-10lbs in my topeak racks and I have snapped 2 of the bolts dumping my batteries in the road behind me :evil: luckily both times nothing hit them and I just stopped and picked them up and peddled home.

Its a weak point if you look at the design of it :? there is a lot of shear stress placed on the bolt as it sits under tension in the clamp which is a lot bigger than the thread of the bolt, I used a dremmel tool and opened the hole out a little and fitted a big 10mm OD bolt all the way through and then fitted a split pin around that, the fact that the bolt now is twice the size and the load is being placed along its length should stop the failure from ever happening again, however the batteries are still connected by a couple of Anderson connectors so they can disengage if the worse should happen, as much as I love my Lipo pack you dont want 8lbs of batteries swinging about behind you on a wire at 40mph!! much better to dump them in the road than to fetch you off.

thanks for sharing your bike with us and if you want to see the bolt I put in mine to give you an idea I will post em, I can also post you pictures off the original clamp bolt that snapped :roll:
I'm using the BMC 50amp controller (with amp limiting mod), I have 2 extra w/o limiting mod, if you want one.
I have that bolt tight as can be, I haven't heard of that snapping though more of the rack breaking at the weld. I'm sure if yours broke with 8-10 lbs min will probably do the same with the amount I carry 15lbs of battery+controller, rear lights/battery and a couple tools.
Yea post up the pics so I can see what I have to do :D

Thanks for the info!

Your rack maybe fine? I dunno if I got unlucky? anyways feel a lot better with the big bolt in place now, the bolt is a snug fit inside the clamp and its not a problem as the rack never needs to come off, only the bag which of course slides off.

I will post a picture on a new thread as a warning to others with the topeak, I broke the original bolt, replaced it with one the same size and that did the same :? welds look OK and I am sure they will be OK as long as I keep the weight down, however like I said the pack will still release as its connected with Andersons so lucky not to cause any damage when it dropped just a bit of scratching to the underside of the rack.

Back