Voilamart Wheel jerks then spins backwards

Issue started happening w 1500w controller that came w kit. Jerky at first but ok once going then eventually just spins backwards. Put Voilamart 1000w controller on , ok at first but noisy and choppy. Then same thing it just spins backwards. Is there something wrong w my hub or is this a crappy controller issue? I feel like a hall senor is shot in the hub ? How do I proceed? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Hi BloomEbike815,

If you have a multimeter, and know how to use it. I recommend reading this thread as it goes over checks for a BLDC hub motor. Phases and hall sensors. As well as tips to get the phase to hall sensor configuration correct.

Testing BLDC motor's Phase Wiring - Hall Sensors and Wiring.

Regards,
T.C.

Solution
Well you will be a scientist of all things phase and hall after that article. Excellent resource. It definitely sounds like something is not wired correctly. I have had several Voilamart kit controllers and haven't had any issues with them out the box.

All stock wiring and plugs, nothing changed. I assumed the controller went so I switched but then the next controller acted the same way.
If it runs smoothly backwards, then follow the procedure in the lower right corner of the flow diagram in the link provided by TommyCat. If it runs noisy or is "stuck" (no movement), then you need to start higher in the flow diagram. You could experience false positives, where the motor rotates in the correct direction, but runs roughly. In any case, don't run the motor for too long with the wrong combo, or you'll fry in in short order.

They don't have a stand-alone display on the bike. Generic controller that 'could' be hooked up to SW900 but that would still be useless in his situation. It really depends on if he wants to spend $100 USD to fix the problem electronically or go through all the wiring combinations. If yes for $$$, he can get a KT LCD3 display and KT 26-30A max controller and fix the problem after getting a compatible PAS sensor as well:

Parameter C1 allows both forward and reverse phase waves (sine or square; they are shown as square in the diagram).

KT LCD3 Manual --- C1 is Page 24/25

If he uses a standard PAS sensor on the left (non-drive) side, he can make the motor's wave reverse by pretending the PAS is on the other side and choose 5, 6, or 7 in C1 for the reverse waveform. That should take an already reverse waveform and flip it back to forward. The reason I know this is because it happened to me a few years ago with a different hub motor. I could not get any power, and then finally played around with the C1 settings; wheel direction started up and reversed in 0, 1, or 2 and went forward in 5, 6, or 7. Normally the wheel goes forward in 0-2. Set it to 5 and it was fine after that. Did not have to bother with rewiring anything.

But in his case he has to decide if he's going to throw money at the problem or not.

They don't have a stand-alone display on the bike. Generic controller that 'could' be hooked up to SW900 but that would still be useless in his situation. It really depends on if he wants to spend $100 USD to fix the problem electronically or go through all the wiring combinations. If yes for $$$, he can get a KT LCD3 display and KT 26-30A max controller and fix the problem after getting a compatible PAS sensor as well:

Parameter C1 allows both forward and reverse phase waves (sine or square; they are shown as square in the diagram).

KT LCD3 Manual --- C1 is Page 24/25

If he uses a standard PAS sensor on the left (non-drive) side, he can make the motor's wave reverse by pretending the PAS is on the other side and choose 5, 6, or 7 in C1 for the reverse waveform. That should take an already reverse waveform and flip it back to forward. The reason I know this is because it happened to me a few years ago with a different hub motor. I could not get any power, and then finally played around with the C1 settings; wheel direction started up and reversed in 0, 1, or 2 and went forward in 5, 6, or 7. Normally the wheel goes forward in 0-2. Set it to 5 and it was fine after that. Did not have to bother with rewiring anything.

But in his case he has to decide if he's going to throw money at the problem or not.
I don't have a display on the kit I got. I have a kt-15amp/30amp max controller w display as well as Rinsunmotor 45amp Bluetooth controller w display. I was worried about hooking either up bc I didn't want to damage them. So are you saying neither of the 2 controllers that the wheel worked fine w then started jerking and then going backwards, that the controllers are not broken? I'm just confused as to how the wheel is fine, then studders, then just goes backwards without touching any wires or anything with 2 different controllers.. I apologize for my ignorance, I hear what is being said i just need more experience is all. I appreciate all you guys.
If u recommend hooking up the KT I will definitely do that. Inexperience breeds hesitancy.... So thank you for the confident directions it's appreciated

I don't have a display on the kit I got. I have a kt-15amp/30amp max controller w display as well as Rinsunmotor 45amp Bluetooth controller w display. I was worried about hooking either up bc I didn't want to damage them. So are you saying neither of the 2 controllers that the wheel worked fine w then started jerking and then going backwards, that the controllers are not broken? I'm just confused as to how the wheel is fine, then studders, then just goes backwards without touching any wires or anything with 2 different controllers.. I apologize for my ignorance, I hear what is being said i just need more experience is all. I appreciate all you guys.
If u recommend hooking up the KT I will definitely do that. Inexperience breeds hesitancy.... So thank you for the confident directions it's appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230808-124048.png
    Screenshot_20230808-124048.png
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230821_082538079_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230821_082538079_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Sorry, I can't tell what that display type is. Does it say anything on the back. This is a different controller also than the Voilamart kit purchased on Amazon.com. I've seen that display around a lot and can find it online but it doesn't say what type it is.

If you put this display with a KT controller, and the display is only partially compatible with it, then controller is getting confused with the display instructions. And then you can have weird problems like the wheel reversing direction. Every controller on their Risun Motor hub motor webpage is a generic DC controller, not a KT one. That's why I was initially surprised and did a double-take when you said the controller was KT.

Can you turn on the display and then immediately press the upper and lower buttons at the same time for at least 5 seconds. So you bought the display separately? Can you return it and get a KT LCD3?

That's a Sabvoton SCMC7245 on the left. Risun just rebrands stuff; they don't make anything. I bought a KT 18FET sine wave plus that 7245 from their ebay store. The 7245 was relabeled, but they didn't bother on the KT.

The 7245 has a hall/learning function that you run from the bluetooth app, so if you first do the tests on the motor to make sure things are functioning correctly, it may be easier to setup because of the learning function. I don't think KT has that function on most of their controllers.

Back