Prodeco Outlaw SE Motor Issue

momoboy

1 µW
I apologize in advance for the long post. I am new to e-bikes but am handy with electronics. I just got hold of a 2013 Prodeco Outlaw SE. The seller said there was an issue with the motor so I figured I would take a chance.

The battery is good. Holds a charge fine and voltage is good

The initial symptoms were a grinding noise in the hub like something was rubbing and the hub might engage for a second when giving it throttle. In researching I figured it would be a hall sensor.

I opened the hub and noticed one of the wire going to one of the hall sensors seems loose and touching it broke the wire off. Since I didn’t have a new hall sensor I took off the other 2 wires. I put the hub back together to test. The motor responded instantly to the throttle and spun for a few seconds then stopped. I would then have to reset the throttle and it would do it again. My assumption was that the controller would engage the motor, realize there is a missing hall sensor and stop.

So I replaced the hall sensor which I assumed was correct (the old one said 41F). I do not know much about these so I figured all 41F’s are the same? Perhaps I am assuming wrong.

After installing the motor would engage and run a little longer but only engage at ¼ throttle most times. Sometimes, when engaged, I could move to full throttle. Sometimes the motor would run for a few seconds and sometimes it would run for minutes. There were a few times I could even go straight to full and the motor would run fine. I was assuming if a hall sensor was bad then it wouldn't run that long. All in all after a while it would cut out eventually.

I’m going to tear it apart again but hoping for some guidance. I’m assuming I need to check for any wiring issues in the hub. Perhaps even if a wire is connected there could be an intermittent break. Does anyone think it could be a controller or throttle issue?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

No rubbing noise anymore. All smooth. So I have the motor apart again. Checked each hall sensor again with the Amazon ebike tester box. At first all of them seemed fine but one, when I left the magnet near it, would start to flicker then get bright and then flicker again. All the others would stay steady. The wiring was fine. I'm going to guess it's failing and that would make sense since it sometimes worked then craps out intermittently. I'm going to replace it and then see if it fixes it.

Back