Volcon Brat

May be useful

I regularly hit and maintain 33 with 28 up slight hills on the Brat, stock drive train.

Have you been able to characterize your watts consumption at top speed on flat ground? Correlating speed and power with what you have now will help develop the prescription for your goal speed.

Last edited:
Have you been able to characterize your watts consumption at top speed on flat ground? Correlating speed and power If what you have now will help develop the prescription for your goal speed.
100% not smart enough for that. Can you put me in the direction of a formula or article? I'm happy to toss in the legwork with a source. I'm thinking there has to be some mechanism to be able to compare your 10 to 20 to 30 mph consumption and use that data to determine a useful drag coefficient. It's been a hot minute since I've done any FM or CFD.

I'm thinking there has to be some mechanism to be able to compare your 10 to 20 to 30 mph consumption and use that data to determine a useful drag coefficient.

Set the bike type to "roadster" (closest by far to what most of us ride) before changing values like weight. Set pedal cadence to 1 RPM to approximate throttle-only operation.

Have you been able to characterize your watts consumption at top speed on flat ground? Correlating speed and power with what you have now will help develop the prescription for your goal speed.
100% not smart enough for that.
Any wattmeter you can put between your battery and controller will give you watts realtime as you ride, and you can note the speeds at which you get various power draws, along with your riding conditions at the time (though this requires you either to record the screens with your phone or some other camera, or distract yourself by looking at them a lot).

The Cycle Analyst will do this for you in one device (and is useful for a number of other things), and has a serial data output you can record with various cheap serial data logger hardware (or free software on most computers if you have a portable one with a serial port).

You can also take your riding conditions / speed / weights / etc to the ebikes.ca simulators and guesstimate what power you need to do what you want, as well as what you're already using. The page for them has explanations and descriptions of how to use and read it.

Back