Voltage? 48v Controller has big 63v and smaller 50v caps

marka-ee

100 W
So I have a 500 watt controller that is 36/48 rated voltage , where it senses the voltage and sets the LVC to suit. I have been running it at 52 volts for a while , but might try more. Funny thing is it has 63v caps for the large ones, but also has a few 50 volts ones that are about 1/2 the size. Also some scattered 16 volt ones for the low voltage parts of the design I guess. So can I run maybe 56 volts on it? Since it's rated at 48v officially, I tend to think the 50 volt caps are for something lower voltage in the design ? Thoughts ? Or should I just bench run it and measure the voltages on the smaller caps to be sure ? Fets are 75v I think.

In most cases you can run up to 15s but not in all controllers. 14s is or should be no problem. I have a cheap controller like that running 16s 66v peak for the last 4/5 years.
Not all will live but 14s 56v peak LiLo in most cases no problem. LVC might be a little lower than recommended.

Dan

My dual voltage KT controller, has three 63V caps and some 50V caps, which makes it OK for 14S. I was looking at a schematic someone posted for the S06 controller, and that shows three capacitors in the circuit that see the full battery voltage. This doesn't mean your controller is the same way. but I figure there's a lot of "re-use" of circuit designs in Chiner,

i'm as much a fan of pushing limits as the next person...but:

keep in mind the closer you run to the spec of the parts, the likelihood of failure increases dramatically (for a number of reasons). especially with cheap parts, many of which may be clones of other parts, and made with no or very little qc. or may even be the reject parts (that actually aren't even capable of the ratings in the spec sheet!) that the factory "threw away" but someone saved and sold as new good parts.... or the parts may not even be the parts they're marked as, and as such you have no idea of their limitations..but they're quite likely lower than the parts they're marked as. :( (yes, these things happen)

so just because the parts are "rated" for a certain voltage, doesn't make that the limit of the unit they're in. the limit is much lower, to ensure reliability. the cheaper the unit was, the lower the limit should be (the greater the difference between the spec'd limit and the usage limit).

if you don't mind stuff unexpectedly failing, and riding is just for fun and you don't have to get somewhere on the bike/etc., or you don't need the motor to do what you do with it, then it's "safe enough" to try it out, with the caveat that something will eventually go wrong (how long that will take depends on too many things to give a number).

if reliability is important, then don't run it higher than it was originally "meant" for. (too often, even *that* is closer to the failure point than it ought to be.)

ok, all that said:

there are several limitng components.

capacitors that are wired across the battery voltage lines, and at the fets.

fets

lvps input stage (lvps is the low voltage power supply that converts battery voltage to the 12v and 5v that runs the non-fet parts of the controller).

this last part is often neglected when overvolting controllers, and you may find a controller that has nice high voltage caps, even the fets...but the lvps blows up a few volts above the "max" controller voltage. :(

OK, so if I stay at 52 volts it should be OK for a controller that was meant for 48 , I guess. I actually run a dc-dc boost converter from a 36 volt pack, so it stays dead on 52v until the 36 drops to 33 or so, then the little 1500 watt boost starts to sag as well. The boost really helps me keep at around 500 watts to motor even as I go faster. 500 watts is enough for me as I prioritize my range anyway.

Regarding the LVPS issue, you can fix that with this circuit here
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8457
if what you have is the big power reisstor input going into an LM317 or 7815 or 7812, rather than an SMPS.

If you want capacitors to last you want them to be rated higher than the voltage they're actually going to see. A 52V nominal battery charges up to 58V. You're going to have a very short lived controller.

Back