WarP-Drive Classic DC Speed Controller upgread

mfox

10 W
Hi,

Im able to get this controller but 160V 1000 A . I will need to upgrade it to 260V. I was trying to contact NetGain Controls but with no answer. Is it possible to get update for this controller?
Does somebody have some experience?

BG
tnx

Matija

That's going to be pretty difficult. You would at least need new FETs, main capacitors and voltage regulator. Higher voltage capacitors are physically much larger so you would need to figure out where to place them.

You may be better off looking for a new controller made for that voltage.

I thought this controller is upgratebal only with code that you have to buy. It is one driver for 160V,1000A - 360V,1400A , ....

mfox said:
I thought this controller is upgratebal only with code that you have to buy. It is one driver for 160V,1000A - 360V,1400A , ....

Possible. Sorry I'm not familiar with that particular model. If you open the cover enough to take a look at the voltage rating on the main capacitors, you could tell if at least those were rated high enough.

According to this page
http://www.ngcontrols.com/wd1.php
The base unit comes programmed for 1000A rated output at 160V, and is user-upgradeable to 1200 and 1400 amps and 260 and 360 volts. The WarP-Drive comes from the factory with CANbus connectivity, which gives it endless capabilities to operate in conjunction with already-in-development third-party hardware solutions.

However, they don't specify how that user-upgrade works. It could be software settings, or it could be modules that are piggybacked onto it, or replacing the power module keeping just the brain, etc. I see nothing on the site that explains it, nor prices for that on either the classic or industrial versions. (there is a price sheet from 2012 but it doesn't list any upgrade pricing, just base units and accessories).

But AFAIK they don't deal with end-users directly, so you'd have to go thru one of their authorized resellers
http://www.ngcontrols.com/authorized_resellers.php

All the distributor pages I found in a quick google search only sell specific model controllers, no upgrades (not even mentioned). I didn't look thru the list above for it though.

FWIW, it would be odd to sell a controller like that, unless all of the models cost the same, because the hardware to go that much higher in voltage and current would be quite a bit more expensive than the lower power setup.

They'd have to charge everyone for that hardware, even if a particular buyer isn't using all it's capabilities, or go broke. (or sell all versions at such a high margin that it wouldn't matter).

So while I am not familiar with Netgain's controllers, it seems unlikely that a simple software "unlock" exists for them, though it is certainly possible that they do have setup software for them that changes their HVC and/or LVC, and their current limits, but probably within a narrow range based on the particular hardware limitations of a specific model or series of controllers.

Back