Wayne’s Dengfu Carbon Fibre FS 27.5” with Bafang M600 (throttle also)

Vividguy said:
Hi
Im asking about the woltage on the five pins.. Is cause im building the battery from scratch.
I dont have any info from bafang or dengfu.. So my best chance is from you guys.
Any additional info would be appreciated.

Hi, did you get it wired correctly? Trying to wire my diy dengfum09/m600 now. Also confused about the three middle pins, do i need them?

Hi Wayne I was trying to collect some parts for this and wanted to ask whats the max insertion length for the dropper in the frame?

HI Troyp, the seat tube is an uniterupted design. Goes straight all the way down to the motor mount so max insertion length is longer than you would ever need, don't worry about that at all........wayne

waynebergman said:
HI Troyp, the seat tube is an uniterupted design. Goes straight all the way down to the motor mount so max insertion length is longer than you would ever need, don't worry about that at all........wayne

Thanks I was looking to pickup a 210mm oneup dropper post just wanted to check if it would work! :thumb:

Troyp said:
waynebergman said:

Thanks I was looking to pickup a 210mm oneup dropper post just wanted to check if it would work! :thumb:

An insane amount of drop. I’m 200 cm tall. I’m borrowing the bike to a 160 cm tall person. 150mm of drop is enough. Even 120mm would be enough...

Hi everyone.

I have a new X1 on the way. I know some people scoff at the idea of using the Luna for commuting, but I’d like to make it as much of a do-it-all machine as I can. It seems like the easiest way to get a speed boost out of the box is to change the chain ring to 38 or 40t and enable the 12th gear on the cassette. I’m planning on doing this immediately, but wonder how much of an impact switching to carbon wheels might have and whether that’s a worthwhile investment (it’s pricey!). I recall someone on YouTube who said changing to a carbon wheel set shaves off a significant five pounds, which seems inline with the weight of your bike, Wayne.

Has anyone here swapped in the carbon wheels, upgraded the chainring AND purchased the ludicrous controller? I’ve seen plenty of instances of people doing two of those things, but haven’t come across anyone who’s done all three. No doubt being able to tune the m600 ourselves would help too. I’d love to be able to get a sustained 30 mph on level streets.

HI Damienhatty, glad you are getting an X1. I am sure you will be happy.

Regarding the CF rims I dont know if I would spend the extra money especially if you are wanting a bike to do the sustained 30mph for commuting. If you end up tricking the bike out to do the sustained 30mph who cares if you are saving the extra weight on the wheels. If at the time of purchase the CF wheelset is an upgrade so you are not rebuilding wheels etc maybe - but not after the fact. If I was going for the 30mph which will mean unlocking the speed limit, ludi controller etc the rims will be the least of your concerns.

The lighter package with the CF rims may be more appreciated on a lower powered set up really. You may want to save your extra money to spend on replacing drive train stuff that will surely wear faster wtih the extra power. I would spend that CF wheel set money on the quiet drive gear upgrade the Luna offers and the ludi upgrade if you really want the 30mph package.

I would not waste money on the ludi controller. Stock motor is powerful enough, more power will just drain battery faster and lower the lifespan of your drivetrain. If innotrace can come up with an aftermarket controller for the M600 like they did for the Ultra that might be worth investing in later.

Thank you both for the insight. I will forgo the carbon rims for the time being. I still have my doubts about whether the ludicrous controller will end up being worth it, but I think I would regret not getting if only for sheer curiosity. I may order the besst tool from FLX too to just to see if I can change the wheel size to produce a few extra mph. Will update here when I have it!

Hey Wayne I had a question regarding the steering tube size that will fit on the frame I have a spare yari with 6.5 inches of steering tube left will this work? Or should i look at selling it and getting something else. Thanks!

Hi Troyp
PHoto shows you need around 5" of the steer tube to reach the top of the head tube on my frame. Not sure if different sized frames have different specs ont he head tube but I doubt it. So this only leaves an inceh for mounting stem and then that also mean no room at all for spacers etc of you want to have extra height on your bars. I think 6" may be too short. Hope this helps.......wayne Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 9.01.39 PM.jpg

HerskerHans said:
Vividguy said:
Hi
Im asking about the woltage on the five pins.. Is cause im building the battery from scratch.
I dont have any info from bafang or dengfu.. So my best chance is from you guys.
Any additional info would be appreciated.

Hi, did you get it wired correctly? Trying to wire my diy dengfum09/m600 now. Also confused about the three middle pins, do i need them?

You dont need them i found out.

waynebergman said:
Hi Troyp
PHoto shows you need around 5" of the steer tube to reach the top of the head tube on my frame. Not sure if different sized frames have different specs ont he head tube but I doubt it. So this only leaves an inceh for mounting stem and then that also mean no room at all for spacers etc of you want to have extra height on your bars. I think 6" may be too short. Hope this helps.......wayne Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 9.01.39 PM.jpg

Thanks you are the best!

Where could I source battery that fits this frame? Preferably 52v, but also 48v works. I asked from Dengfu, but they wont sell battery alone.

Sneakervdv said:
Where could I source battery that fits this frame? Preferably 52v, but also 48v works. I asked from Dengfu, but they wont sell battery alone.

The just shipped me two empty batterycases. Buy empty cases and install the batteries you want youreself, here is a video of me installing batteries in my batterycase. i didnt film the whole operation though, but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8TFN2ONymg

Tom said:
I would not waste money on the ludi controller. Stock motor is powerful enough, more power will just drain battery faster and lower the lifespan of your drivetrain. If innotrace can come up with an aftermarket controller for the M600 like they did for the Ultra that might be worth investing in later.

Hi, Tom. I received my X1 last night and am having difficult getting the motor to engage at all. I saw your posts from last year that you suffered some grinding noises, and it feels like I’m experiencing something similar. I have power. Connections and voltage seems fine. Bike makes a terrible clicking noise when rolling backwards and has significant resistance. There is no pedal assistance whatsoever and the only life I’ve been able to raise from the motor is the occasional fraction of a turn when holding the throttle down with the bike off the ground. I’m pretty disappointed. What eventually happened with your experience? Did you get Luna to send you a new motor?

I’d open mine myself, but don’t have the BB tool to remove it — and honestly it’s kind of annoying to have to do this on a $4k bike out of the box...

My grinding noises were from the steel reduction gear. There was nothing wrong with my X1, it was just loud, like listening to a cat on a fence moaning and screeching all the time but no way to throw a shoe at it to shut it up. A few people pooh pooed me and claimed the noise wasn't so bad, now they are all installing the quiet reduction gear, ha!

I no longer have an X1 and I can't recall if it made noise when rolling backward, but I now have a Bafang Ultra and the motor does have some resistance and make some noise when rolling backward. This is normal.

Seems like you have a different problem. Good luck! Sounds like you have power but no assist? The one thing I would check is the cable going into the display. I never had this problem but I've seen M600 users report the cable jiggles out very easily so make sure it's pushed in good.

I checked mine when rolling it backwards. You can feel the resistance of the motor gear reduction but there is no clicking.

So you are saying the motor works under throttle but not pedal assist? Is that on all assistance levels?

With the chain off and turning the cranks backwards, do you get the same clicking?

Have you checked all the settings in the display menu?

Tom said:
My grinding noises were from the steel reduction gear. There was nothing wrong with my X1, it was just loud, like listening to a cat on a fence moaning and screeching all the time but no way to throw a shoe at it to shut it up. A few people pooh pooed me and claimed the noise wasn't so bad, now they are all installing the quiet reduction gear, ha!

I no longer have an X1 and I can't recall if it made noise when rolling backward, but I now have a Bafang Ultra and the motor does have some resistance and make some noise when rolling backward. This is normal.

Seems like you have a different problem. Good luck! Sounds like you have power but no assist? The one thing I would check is the cable going into the display. I never had this problem but I've seen M600 users report the cable jiggles out very easily so make sure it's pushed in good.

Hi Tom. Glad the Ultra has worked out for you. Got to say, so glad the silent gear mod came out. Improved the riding experience dramatically. I also upgraded to the new large color screen. I can now clearly see the info on the screen without my reading glasses.

Glad to hear it's working out for you. I was seriously tempted to try the X1 again after the silent gear came out. Fortunately for my wallet Luna sold out of my size before I could rationalize N+1 in the garage.

Kepler said:
I checked mine when rolling it backwards. You can feel the resistance of the motor gear reduction but there is no clicking.

So you are saying the motor works under throttle but not pedal assist? Is that on all assistance levels?

With the chain off and turning the cranks backwards, do you get the same clicking?

Have you checked all the settings in the display menu?

Hi Kepler and Tom,

The motor doesn’t “work” in any capacity — assist or throttle. However, under throttle I can sometimes see a very slight bit of wheel movement holding the bike off the ground. I made two videos that show the problem (sorry for the portrait view in the first one). I contacted Luna and it sounds like they’re going to get their electrician to contact me to help, and failing any progress on that front they’ll ship me a replacement motor.

It’s the weekend now so nothing going to happen until Monday at the earliest, but I’m still inclined to try to diagnose the problem. To answer your questions: yes, I’ve gone through the settings in the menu; yes, the cranks still click with the chain off; and yes, I’ve reseated all the cables firmly with the requisite click sound. No shops nearby have bottom bracket tool I need to remove the spider for sale, otherwise I’d be all over opening this puppy up today. Vids:

https://streamable.com/igz75z
https://streamable.com/eh6mrt

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=106304 just built a similar bike, i used info in waynes thread here to complete mine. Great bike! I got some build vids in my thread there also.

HerskerHans said:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=106304 just built a similar bike, i used info in waynes thread here to complete mine. Great bike! I got some build vids in my thread there also.

I saw your YouTube videos earlier. I really like the color scheme you chose. Looks sharp!

Thanks, i mounted a kashima rear shock to now to, im tempted to Paint the frame with some camouflage pattern in different colors and remove some black, or get some bronze stickers for it.

Back