Ways to use a cassette with a 10kw mid drive?

The title says it all...

I'm planning to mount a big block lightning rods motor on my bicycle but I want to keep the cassette.

Last edited:
Drive the rear wheel on the left, through a motorcycle sprocket attached to the disc rotor pattern. Don't use a regular bicycle hub with 10mm quick release axle. At a minimum, use a 14mm threaded axle or a through axle.

There's no correct way to push 20 times as much power through bike drive parts as they were designed for. Anybody who tells you different, doesn't understand things.

Drive the rear wheel on the left, through a motorcycle sprocket attached to the disc rotor pattern. Don't use a regular bicycle hub with 10mm quick release axle. At a minimum, use a 14mm threaded axle or a through axle.

There's no correct way to push 20 times as much power through bike drive parts as they were designed for. Anybody who tells you different, doesn't understand things.
What if I used those hardened steel cassettes for ebikes?

Also the clearance between the brake disc and frame is small how is that possible? My bicycle is 2017 norco optic a7.2

An average, reasonably fit cyclist can output 200 watts continuous.
Top level cyclists can briefly peak at 2,000 watts.
1 horsepower = 746 watts
A few bicycle motor kits are available that output 1,000 watts (1kw = 1.34 horsepower)
10kw is 10,000 watts (13.4 horsepower)
Bicycle chains, sprockets, rear cassettes are not designed for this level of power.
To actually use 10kw for any length of time will require a fairly heavy battery.

What if I used those hardened steel cassettes for ebikes?
Nothing you can do with the cassette will make the freehub/axle/dropouts/chain become 20X stronger. If you want to try it anyway, please report back with your results. We could all use the comic relief.
Also the clearance between the brake disc and frame is small how is that possible? My bicycle is 2017 norco optic a7.2
You can use a "hat" adapter that attaches to the disc rotor bolt pattern but offsets to the inside. That buys a lot more room for a big diameter sprocket.

Here's an example of a sprocket with the offset adapter built in:

1 horsepower = 746 watts
A few bicycle motor kits are available that output 1,000 watts (1kw = 1.34 horsepower)
Bicycle chains, sprockets, rear cassettes are not designed for this level of power.
To actually use 10kw for any length of time will require a fairly heavy battery.
10kw is the peak power for the motor. It's usually 6kw.

10kw is the peak power for the motor. It's usually 6kw.
6kw is 3 times more than a top level cyclist. (6kw = 8 horsepower)
Segway X260 is rated 5kw and has a sturdy frame, wheels, spokes, tires.
Wear proper protection ...

What's the RPM of the bare motor ?

6kw is 3 times more than a top level cyclist. (6kw = 8 horsepower)

Yes, but that's a level of effort that can be sustained for at most a few seconds. An electric drive can do it until the battery depletes or something overheats. That's a very different game.

Ya.
You should use something like a motorcycle sprocket to disc brake adapter.
They make things like that for gas bikes.

Bike chains are designed to handle 100's of watts continuously, maybe 1000w peak!

Is it the torque that matters or speed?
Torque is what matters most, in terms of destructiveness to drive components. But you won't be reaching high speeds without enough torque to balance the high resistance at those speeds. So you can't really tease them apart. It's a more relevant distinction for low powered bikes.

1 horsepower = 746 watts
A 10kW motor equates to around 13.4 horsepower (use a kw to hp conversion calculator for exact figures). That's an immense amount of power for a bicycle! Bicycle drivetrain components simply aren't designed to handle those loads. You'd likely need a custom drivetrain and frame to safely use a 10kW motor. Even then, the battery required to sustain that output would be prohibitively heavy for practical cycling. I'd recommend looking into lower power options in the 500W-1kW range instead for an electric bicycle conversion.

This is an old thread, but there are a number of ways to improve the odds of your cassette and freewheel surviving very high power.
  • Use only the sprockets that are 16T or larger
  • Use a shift sensor - generally side loads during shifting are what kill your chain
  • Have a freewheel on the motor shaft (and crankset), and zip tie the cassette to the spokes so that it can't freewheel. Freewheel pawls last way longer if they don't have a big shock load during start up.

Back