What cells do the newer laptops use?

Skalabala

1 kW
Halloo members :) Nice sun shine this side of the world :p

Anyway, I saw that the date of some of my to be tested used laptop cells are 2007 and the cells are 2600mah

So I was wondering if they used 2600mah cells around 8 years ago then what are they using now? :eek:

Probably still 2600 mAhr ....because they are so cheap and the laptop market is cut throat on pricing.
Many are still 2200 mAhr infact.
You can tell by reading the spec on the packs...typically a 6 cell pack will be 10.8/11.2 volts and 4400mAhr in a 3S, 2P config . iE, 3 parallel pairs of 2200mAhr cells in series.
Some will quote 5200mAhr and even 5800 mAhrs,..but they are all pairs of cells.

That is understandable. But I also think that the main stream laptops will have the better cells.
The best I saw was 5800mah for 2900mah cells. The best I have is 2800mah

Even if you find genuine high capacity cells in laptop packs , the price will be high ...$100+ for 6 cells ?... Making it uneconomical. Cheap packs will not have quality cells in them ( ask me how I know !)
Remember also, even the best laptop cells are not high drain and using them at anything more than 1C discharge will give huge voltage sag and heat. You would need many cells in parallel to give any reasonable amp draw.....making it a heavy pack.
Much better to source portable power tool cell packs for high drain cells.

Back