What is the watts rating for this hub motor?

I have a Chinese built e scooter , I was told by the dealer that it is an 800 watt hub motor , I have a 48v 18ah batterie with a 48v 20amp speed controller but I'm maxing out around 25km/hr and it can barely go up a 10% grade hill , I can't seem to figure out where the power struggle issue is? I'm 213 pounds by the way. I have a sneaking suspicion that my hub motor is not a 800watt but smaller . I'm posting pics of the rear drive hub motor , can someone please tell me what the letters and numbers mean that are printed on the motor itself?

Attachments

• 20230810_103923.jpg
    20230810_103923.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230810_122730.jpg
    20230810_122730.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230810_122743.jpg
    20230810_122743.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
I have a Chinese built e scooter , I was told by the dealer that it is an 800 watt hub motor , I have a 48v 18ah batterie with a 48v 20amp speed controller but I'm maxing out around 25km/hr and it can barely go up a 10% grade hill , I can't seem to figure out where the power struggle issue is? I'm 213 pounds by the way. I have a sneaking suspicion that my hub motor is not a 800watt but smaller . I'm posting pics of the rear drive hub motor , can someone please tell me what the letters and numbers mean that are printed on the motor itself?

Attachments

• 20230810_103923.jpg
    20230810_103923.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230810_122730.jpg
    20230810_122730.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230810_122743.jpg
    20230810_122743.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
To handle the hills it doesn't need mroe speed, it needs more torque.

Sometimes what you do to get the one gives you more of the other as a byproduct, but if you want both, you'll have to upgrade the parts that provide each one.

Is the max wheel speed the same when it is offground (unloaded) as it is when riding on a flat road with no wind?

If so, the ocntroller is probably speed limited, often in a way the end user can't bypass. THis is often the case with scooters/ebikes/etc, legal requirements in many locations won't allow a faster speed so the electronics have to prevent it. (some places have hefty legal consequences for riders of these things that aren't limited this way, so you might want to look into that before making it faster, if that matters to you).

If it goes a lot faster unloaded then it's just not pwoerful enough to go that fast when riding. I'd guess that the power avialable could handle up to at least 20-25mph (on flat ground no wind), which is 32-40kmh, but that doesn't mean the system is built ot be able to do it.

If it's not enough power to go faster, or up the hills, you'd need a higher current controller, and possibly a higher current capability battery (if the one you have has problems with the bigger controller once that's installed).

If you need more than 1200w to do the job it has to do for you, the motor may or may not be ablet o handle that, it's prbably good for 1500-2500w bursts of a few seconds to a few minutes, dependign on conditions.

The motor may also be wound to only go about that speed, in which case to go faster you would need either a new motor that's built to go as fast as you want in the size wheel you have at the voltage you already have, or you'd need a new controller and new battery that are both higher voltage by enough to drive the existing motor to that speed.

Watt ratings of systems / motors are not really accurate (most not even close to reality) but the 48v1200w marking on your motor probably means that it is intended to be run at 48v to get a certain rpm (not listed on it), and probably will have a max continuous power of 1200w when run at that full speed (when it's run slower, it will have higher current and higher heating, less efficient, the slower it is at that higher powerr the faster it heats up).

The controllers says it's 48v 20A, which gives you almost 1000w of continuous output power.

The battery does not list it's current rating, just that it's a 48v battery 13s7p 18Ah, so it would probably be able to handle 20Ah easily, assuming it's built correctly of good cells. How much more current it could take, we can't know without testing, which you would be doing if you upgrade the controller to a higher current version (if it can't take it, you'd need a new battery that can). If it's a good battery, it should take at least 36-40A, but there's no way to know how well made it is without testing to find out how it behaves under the higher load.

You can go to the ebikes.ca motor / trip simulators and experiment iwth it to learn how all these things work together, to get a better idea of how much power you will probably need to move the total vehicle/rider/etc weight up the worst-case slope you have at whatever speed you need it to do this.

Sometimes what you do to get the one gives you more of the other as a byproduct, but if you want both, you'll have to upgrade the parts that provide each one.

Is the max wheel speed the same when it is offground (unloaded) as it is when riding on a flat road with no wind?

If so, the ocntroller is probably speed limited, often in a way the end user can't bypass. THis is often the case with scooters/ebikes/etc, legal requirements in many locations won't allow a faster speed so the electronics have to prevent it. (some places have hefty legal consequences for riders of these things that aren't limited this way, so you might want to look into that before making it faster, if that matters to you).

If it goes a lot faster unloaded then it's just not pwoerful enough to go that fast when riding. I'd guess that the power avialable could handle up to at least 20-25mph (on flat ground no wind), which is 32-40kmh, but that doesn't mean the system is built ot be able to do it.

If it's not enough power to go faster, or up the hills, you'd need a higher current controller, and possibly a higher current capability battery (if the one you have has problems with the bigger controller once that's installed).

If you need more than 1200w to do the job it has to do for you, the motor may or may not be ablet o handle that, it's prbably good for 1500-2500w bursts of a few seconds to a few minutes, dependign on conditions.

The motor may also be wound to only go about that speed, in which case to go faster you would need either a new motor that's built to go as fast as you want in the size wheel you have at the voltage you already have, or you'd need a new controller and new battery that are both higher voltage by enough to drive the existing motor to that speed.

Watt ratings of systems / motors are not really accurate (most not even close to reality) but the 48v1200w marking on your motor probably means that it is intended to be run at 48v to get a certain rpm (not listed on it), and probably will have a max continuous power of 1200w when run at that full speed (when it's run slower, it will have higher current and higher heating, less efficient, the slower it is at that higher powerr the faster it heats up).

The controllers says it's 48v 20A, which gives you almost 1000w of continuous output power.

The battery does not list it's current rating, just that it's a 48v battery 13s7p 18Ah, so it would probably be able to handle 20Ah easily, assuming it's built correctly of good cells. How much more current it could take, we can't know without testing, which you would be doing if you upgrade the controller to a higher current version (if it can't take it, you'd need a new battery that can). If it's a good battery, it should take at least 36-40A, but there's no way to know how well made it is without testing to find out how it behaves under the higher load.

You can go to the ebikes.ca motor / trip simulators and experiment iwth it to learn how all these things work together, to get a better idea of how much power you will probably need to move the total vehicle/rider/etc weight up the worst-case slope you have at whatever speed you need it to do this.

Please check your inbox , I PMd you!

1200W direct drive = what, maybe 30Nm torque peak? That's not horrible on paper, some mid-drives only have 40Nm torque peak.

Are you maxing out at 25km/hr on a completely flat paved surface or are you maxing out at that speed at the beginning of the hill climb before things slow down even more.

Are you also pedaling or just using the throttle only?

When you say you can barely make it to the top of the 10% incline, are you using the whole throttle and then the bike for example goes: 25 kph, then 20, then 15, then 10, then 5 kph at the top? Is it a long drawn-out, predictable slowing of the bike even though the incline is fairly constant?

If yes to the above, it's because you have a direct drive motor. (Waiting for hundreds of people to start throwing beer bottles at me through the chain link fence now). Two solutions: you save up for a 2000+W direct drive hub, or you buy a 500W geared hub for under $350USD and then get a 25-30A max controller. With a geared hub, you can climb up hills all day long until the battery dies. But you do have to pedal; you can't just do throttle only with a geared hub drive and keep the same speed up hills forever, it needs some human help.

Unfortunately you can't turn water into wine with this current hub, unless someone on here can confidently say there is a controller that can somehow change the torque inside the hub motor.

Please check your inbox , I PMd you!
note this forum stickie, third one down: Please ask questions on the forum instead of PMs

For climbing, you are limited by your battery and controller that can only provide 48x20 = 960watts. Speed is limited by your 48V and motor KV characteristics, so for more speed, keeping the same motor, you need higher volts. If you aren't pedaling, then 980W isn't enough to pull your weight up a 10% grade at more than a crawl. The numbers on the motor may indicate it may be a 1200W rated motor, and if that's the case, it probably doesn't get too hot when climbing with 980W, which is probably a good thing.

800W is extremely low power for a vehicle of that weight.
Doubt you'd be happy with it with a modification that boosted it to 1500w.

There may also be a speed limiter in the way

Google searches for yinfengkeji bring up nothing on the battery. ( no name/out of business? )
Try googling that model number on the motor. Totally cannot tell what it is.

The controller manufacturer makes a 25A version of that controller which would produce 1200w of power.
Your battery may not be capable of that kind of output though.

t's 48v 20A, which gives you almost 1000w of continuous output power.
I would not trust that. Not continuous. Those small hub wheels will be limited in the power by its size alone, untill you reach into the Unite style motors with chain to a wheel.

1200W direct drive = what, maybe 30Nm torque peak? That's not horrible on paper, some mid-drives only have 40Nm torque peak.

Are you maxing out at 25km/hr on a completely flat paved surface or are you maxing out at that speed at the beginning of the hill climb before things slow down even more.

Are you also pedaling or just using the throttle only?

When you say you can barely make it to the top of the 10% incline, are you using the whole throttle and then the bike for example goes: 25 kph, then 20, then 15, then 10, then 5 kph at the top? Is it a long drawn-out, predictable slowing of the bike even though the incline is fairly constant?

If yes to the above, it's because you have a direct drive motor. (Waiting for hundreds of people to start throwing beer bottles at me through the chain link fence now). Two solutions: you save up for a 2000+W direct drive hub, or you buy a 500W geared hub for under $350USD and then get a 25-30A max controller. With a geared hub, you can climb up hills all day long until the battery dies. But you do have to pedal; you can't just do throttle only with a geared hub drive and keep the same speed up hills forever, it needs some human help.

Unfortunately you can't turn water into wine with this current hub, unless someone on here can confidently say there is a controller that can somehow change the torque inside the hub motor.
Its not an ebike its a escooter (no pedaling) and yes it Max's Max's out around 25km on flat surface , unloaded weel off the ground it Max's at 70km so mabe its not the speed controller its the hub motor rite? Its acting like a 500 watt scooter not 860watts whitch is what the battery is pushing out , its a cheap Chinese no label motor so who knows if the printing on it saying its good for 1200watts is even true . It could be a 500watt motor or something rite?

Google searches for yinfengkeji bring up nothing on the battery. ( no name/out of business? )
Try googling that model number on the motor. Totally cannot tell what it is.

The controller manufacturer makes a 25A version of that controller which would produce 1200w of power.
Your battery may not be capable of that kind of output though.
Were can I find that 25A controller your talking about? Were can I buy it???

Its not an ebike its a escooter (no pedaling) and yes it Max's Max's out around 25km on flat surface , unloaded weel off the ground it Max's at 70km so mabe its not the speed controller its the hub motor rite? Its acting like a 500 watt scooter not 860watts whitch is what the battery is pushing out , its a cheap Chinese no label motor so who knows if the printing on it saying its good for 1200watts is even true . It could be a 500watt motor or something rite?
You are focusing on things that don't make a difference. The continuous rating of a motor has little to do with how it performs. You can feed a motor way more than the continuous rating to obtain higher performance, and make the 500W motor outperform the 860W motor, it just matters how long. The winding of the motor does matter though. You need a wattmeter to know what's going on, to see if it's a lack of power or something else; otherwise you're just guessing. The information that you've provided so far falls far short of what is necessary to properly diagnose your issue.

My and many other personal experiences are that the motor will usually be OK under higher amps but the controller will not. It's a lot better to try a $50 controller first than a whole new hub motor. There are a lot that are rated 1500W / 30A. Make sure the battery and motor connections are compatible (there are motor connection adapters but the battery ones are more complicated at least for me).

Simple Answer​

The reason we don't have a simple power level for each motor or kit is that there is no standard or even consistent way to provide a numeric "watts rating" for a motor system. You can see the exact same motor listed as 250 watts, 500 watts, and 1000 watts by different vendors, and there is a valid justification for all those number. That makes a vendor or manufacturer's watts rating in isolation a fairly pointless figure for choosing or comparing setups, and we're not keen to particiate in that kind of arbitrary numbers game.

Instead, we give a ballpark range (like 250-500 watts, 600-1200 watts etc.) in which the motor is typically used and have provided a useful and accurate motor simulator tool that will show you the exact output power for any combination of motor, controller, and battery pack; not just as an arbitrary single number but over the entire speed range of the vehicle. This is considerably more valuable for understanding a system's performance. You can see things like the peak output power, the output power at your predicted cruising speed under any kind of hill or vehicle type, and whether the motor may be prone to overheating at a given load

You are focusing on things that don't make a difference. The continuous rating of a motor has little to do with how it performs. You can feed a motor way more than the continuous rating to obtain higher performance, and make the 500W motor outperform the 860W motor, it just matters how long. The winding of the motor does matter though. You need a wattmeter to know what's going on, to see if it's a lack of power or something else; otherwise you're just guessing. The information that you've provided so far falls far short of what is necessary to properly diagnose your issue.
Ok I will take the scooter into a shop today and get the motor hooked up their machine for a diagnosis of the motor , thank you for your help though for getting me this far.

Back