What technologies need advancement for eBikes?

Lebowski said:
Arlo1 said:
variable regen.
We got that :D
most of the ebike crowd can't afford what you and I got. They want 50-200$ controllers usualy. Some of then want something faster so will pay a little more but I bet less then 50 people on es would spend over $500 for a. 10 kw sine controller with great features like we have. E motorcycle guys or other hobbiest are most likely different.

It would be nice to see a gear reduction hub motor with a built in two speed transmission. Maybe a way to lock out the sun planet on the fly if this was possible so it could act as a direct drive for higher speeds and then some how use the sun planet assembly when needed for a lower gear. Not sure if this would be something that would work but 2 gears would be real nice built into the motor somehow as the external chain and sprocket solutions are too noisy and unreliable. Also a hand actuated clutch like on a motorcycle could be cool. Being able to feather a clutch like on a Motorcycle for slow speed stuff in the trails is really missed on my electric bikes.

Wayne

I think Chalo nailed it, we need BMS systems that are robust and reliable so the user only ever has to be concerned about the SOC, the amount of electrickery in the tank!

A problem manufacturers face is the cheaper bikes are dictating the price that people will pay, producing a quality bike with a robust management system and better cells would need volume sales at an higher price.

High strength bottom brackets, cranks and freewheel devices specifically designed for the needs of mid drive solutions. Long bottom brackets with free wheels designed to run at high loads whilst in overrun mode. Current BMX / Trials free wheels work well, but are not designed for this application and can quickly fail.

Back