• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

What would determine if I could replace my 36V battery?

EwanG

1 W
Current iZip Zuma has a 36V battery. I notice that the newer version of the bike has a 48V battery but otherwise looks very similar. Should I be able to just replace the 36V with a 48V (and appropriate charger)? Or is the motor tuned to require a specific V coming down? If I did convert would the 48V just mean extra distance on a charge, or would it also allow the motor to hit a higher speed or do better on hills?

Thanks in advance!

Increasing voltage will increase top speed, acceleration, and distance (if rode at same speed as before). I know nothing about the zuma controller, but most 36V controller will handle 48V just fine, with the exception of the LVC being too low, which could lead to over discharging the pack if it doesn't have its own LVC and you don't pay attention to it.

Some 48V batteries are pretty much 60V hot off the charger so check that of your planned battery against the voltage on the capacitors they are possibly 60V, it'll probably be just ok.

A lot of 36v controllers have 53v capacitors in, which are a bit low. It'll probably work for while then pack up a couple of months later if it doesn't go with a nice pop and lots of smelly smoke when you first connect the fully charged 48v battery. You have to open yours up to see what you've got. 63v capacitors and you're home and dry.

A controller destined for 36v use might well have 50v caps inside. That is perfectly adequate and the 63v one's are bigger and cost more. I use 12s lipo which is 44.4v but 50.4v at 4.2v each. I'm pushing my luck a little with 50.4v but it should only age them a little faster. I have a ku65.

Back