Where to find drive system parts online [List on Top]?

swbluto

10 TW
EDIT: I'm putting all the great sites in a convenient list at the top, just in case this might benefit others.

1. SDP-SI - seem to have a great selection of low-tooth count timing pulleys. https://sdp-si.com/eStore/
2. McMaster-Carr - Seem to have everything mechanical! They don't seem to have low-tooth count HTD pulleys, though, and I can only guess what kind of relatively limited selections they'll have in other relatively specialized goods. They have a good selection of drill bits, c-clips, rods and other items of that ilk.
3. http://www.electricscooterparts.com/sprockets.html - They have an awesome selection of general purpose chain sprockets for various chain sizes! Hardly any timing belt equipment though, but they a pretty nice selection of all things scooter.

ORIGINAL POST:

I'm wondering if there's a resource on Endless Sphere where links to various sites that sell drive parts are. I haven't found it yet, so that's why I'm posting this.

I'm looking for an HTD timing pulley to buy to replace the one that I apparently whollered out in my attempt to adapt it to my motor's 8mm shaft. So, I was wondering, where to buy such a creature? I think a 5/32" bore would be good enough if bores are not usually sold in metric. I'd just have to sand down the motor's shaft, methinks. I also need to buy backup HTD 5mm belts (And some 8" scooter tires, but I might just find that somewhere else), so an "all in one" place to find these things would be nice.

For about 10-15 seconds during the midst of the ride, the timing pulley stopped rubbing against the mount (Or something happened; maybe the heat made it more slippery? Or maybe I just went through a water puddle, haha.) and it was blissfully quiet. Incidentally, my top speed started increasing as well and it started going fast! Wow, so now knowing "the other side" of mechanical perfection, I feel compelled to attain it.

Also, where would you buy sprockets and chain? I've been thinking of transitioning to a chain system to get rid of this belt-breaking problem I seem to have when I perform high-current wheelies, but I think I might miss the quietness of the belts, so maybe not.

Is there a place to find a 5mm HTD timing pulley with a 8mm bore (or 5/16" bore) that has 16 teeth or less? My current one has 14 teeth or so.

I could only find that low number of teeth on a 1/4" bore, but would sanding 8mm down to 1/4" (.313 inches to .25 inches) be practical?

http://www.torquetrans.com/pulleys/timing-pulleys/5mm.htm - They have a 5/16" bore timing pulley meant for 5mm HTD that goes down to 12 teeth, but it's plastic. Surely a metallic equivalent is possible? If it's not, would plastic last in our applications?

Also, just wondering, does anybody know how to order from them? :mrgreen:

I personally have not been able to order from torquetrans.com. Anyone have better luck?
They seem to only do large orders. They say they do not have stock on hand, like SDP, but make quantities for large orders.
Occurs to me that I did ask what their minimum order was - around 25 or so...have to check for sure.
Too bad because their catalog shows the best range of 8mm pulleys I have seen.

swbluto said:
Is there a place to find a 5mm HTD timing pulley with a 8mm bore (or 5/16" bore) that has 16 teeth or less? My current one has 14 teeth or so.

I could only find that low number of teeth on a 1/4" bore, but would sanding 8mm down to 1/4" (.313 inches to .25 inches) be practical?

Drill out the pulley. This can be harder said then done. It is easy to get things off center when drilling out an existing hole. You need a drill press and a machinist vice.

Bubba

I have access to a machinist vice and a drill press, but they don't seem to be designed to be used together. Would a VEE block work in the place of a machinist vice?

Miles said:
SW,

I think your best bet is to buy it from someone who will also bore it out for you....

Thanks for the advice. I think specialization is probably the best way to go if the best results are critical. On the other-hand, it'd be nice to learn these skills for future projects but I want the results more than the experience.

Anyways, please advice how to find this someone. Do you think the best bet is to buy a pulley online that has a smaller hole and then take it to a machinist to bore a larger hole? Or do you think there's someone local with a 5mm 12-16 teeth HTD pulley that can bore out the required size hole?

I've called around machinist shops to drill a hole before, so I know the first option is a possible route. Don't know about the latter. It seems most of the "local supply shops" just order from a catalog, much like I would.

Miles said:
The problem is that you usually run out of hub for 8mm bore at around 16t. There are other ways to make the fixing, though...

But... but... that other place ... *points above* ... had those kind of pulleys possible.

I did notice their requirement on the prototype page,

5mm HTD (17-200 Tooth)

So it doesn't sounds like it'd be easy to accomplish. Please elaborate on "make the fixings". I seem to only have a half semantic grip on that phrase, but if that half is correct, how would someone like I improvise?

Anyways, right now, I'm holding in my hand a 14 tooth 5/32" tooth pulley (Originally D-bored). I think it's steel because it's heavy and blackened, so I think it just must be possible.

For standard pulleys the hub diameter is proportional to pulley size. The available bores drop off as the pulleys get smaller and there's not enough material left in the hub for the grub screws. There are other ways of fixing the pulleys to the shaft, though.

Didn't we go through this on another thread?

Didn't we go through this on another thread?

Let's review one statement at a time.

For standard pulleys the hub diameter is proportional to pulley size.

Understandable. Repetition unknown.

The available bores drop off as the pulleys get smaller and there's not enough material left in the hub for the grub screws.

Self-explanatory.

There are other ways of fixing the pulleys to the shaft, though.

What I'm interested in. As far I'm concerned, the "hub" is going to be redundant as I'm going to be putting the set screw between the teeth in "the valleys". I think that's what we've been over, and that's what I'm trying to pursue, but I don't know if you have more methods of fixing that you're alluding to. Perhaps some ultra special glue? :mrgreen: I really don't want to bother with spring/roll pins because I've had dismal failure with that.

What I'm interested in finding is a 5/32" / 8mm approximate bore that has 14 teeth, but apparently that doesn't exist in one-sie production. I have a 5/32" 14 teeth pulley sitting right in front of me so I know it's possible, and transtorq provides such a beast so it does seem to exist in reality.

The question is, would it be possible to buy a 1/4" 14 teeth pulley and enlarge the bore to 5/32" (Through a machinist)? It does seem like it's possible that 14 teeth would have enough "pulley" left for a 5/32" bore given that I have such a creature and such a thing exists at transtorq, but maybe what I have and transtorq has isn't "standard", but I think 14-teeth HTD is pretty standard as far as tooth-height and the valley-depth and the corresponding "middle part" left over for boring/drilling. I'm thinking that Pfeifer industries is including a "safe margin" in its calculations for much higher torque applications which doesn't pertain to me.

Yes, it's all coming back :mrgreen:

You can buy one with a 1/4" bore and enlarge it to 8mm, or get someone else to. I expect Pfieffer could supply one bored out and drilled/tapped through the teeth for the screws. Or you could ask Matt to do it.

There are other mechanical ways to fix (without bonding) I don't think they're worth bothering with in your case, though.

I can bore a pulley to 8mm for you. I can also drill and tap set screws between pulley teeth so the hub diameter does not matter.

Let me know if you would like this done. :D

Matt

swbluto said:
I have access to a machinist vice and a drill press, but they don't seem to be designed to be used together. Would a VEE block work in the place of a machinist vice?

This is what I was talking about. Use a 1/4 drill bit to center it up on the drill press and clamp down tight. Put in the 8mm drill bit and go slow. Don't forget the tap magic.

Bubba

Attachments

• P1010036.JPG
    P1010036.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,117
Miles said:
swbluto said:
Please elaborate on "make the fixings". I seem to only have a half semantic grip on that phrase.
The difference between semantics and pragmatics, you mean........

LOL!

I thought I had semantic mastery of the word "make" but not "fixings", so it was semantically half gripped. But to be pragmatic, I'll just imitate your version of lol.

dontsendbubbamail said:
swbluto said:

This is what I was talking about. Use a 1/4 drill bit to center it up on the drill press and clamp down tight. Put in the 8mm drill bit and go slow. Don't forget the tap magic.

Bubba

Dude, you get the "YOU'RE SO NICE!!!" award.

I guess the vice I have is really a "bench vise", and not versatile enough to be worthy of machinist status.

Anyway, it seems like I'm not getting any leads so I'll probably just go ahead and order the HTD pulley and steel rod stock to replace my motor shaft from SDP-SI. I assume they allow small orders since they have pricing for order sizes of one.

Now here comes the fun part. I'll have to decide what I'll do myself and what I'll outsource.

OBJECT:
The shaft - Requires machining flat areas for the securing the shaft to the bell; Requires a well-positioned groove for the circlip; Requires flat areas for the set-screws.

Ideal tools required - Owned or else the Poor Man's Alternative

Lathe - Spin motor and cut groove out with dremel

Arbor press - Alternative unknown

Grinder - Already Owned

OBJECT:
The motor pulley - requires an enlarged bore to 8mm; Drill and tap set screws into the hub (With a longer shaft, I could do this);

Unowned Ideal tools required - Owned or else the Poor Man's Alternative

A machinist vice - Alternative unknown.

Vee block - Just create one out of two wood-blocks.

Tap and die set - Already owned.

Tool acquisition / alternative analysis:

It seems like I'll have to purchase a machinist vice or pay someone to enlarge the bore (Machinist vice - $15 - 20 (Where to buy?); service, $10);

It seems like I'll have to purchase an arbor press or something similar ($90-100 (Where to buy?); service, unknown - probably laughably ridiculous)

Sweet! I went to harbor freight to see what they had available and apparently they had a small 1/2 ton arbor press for $33 and a machinist vise for $10. Awesome!

Their lathes were a little pricey, though. 400 dollars for a miniature one.

Do you guys think a reamer is necessary for boring out a pulley to secure to a shaft? How about for the hole that would be used to install the bearings in your own created external bearing support?

I think you would get a better fit using a reamer, just use a drill size slightly under your finished bore. I think they were fairly expensive though.

On my first build I had to bore a plastic pulley, even that wasn't as simple as it sounds, and I ended up making it too large. Epoxy fixed that.

Grinhill said:
I think you would get a better fit using a reamer, just use a drill size slightly under your finished bore. I think they were fairly expensive though.

On my first build I had to bore a plastic pulley, even that wasn't as simple as it sounds, and I ended up making it too large. Epoxy fixed that.

I might misunderstand the equipment needed for a reamer, but it appears the 8mm "shanks" are somewhat cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8mm-CARBIDE-Chu...-8-mm-USA_W0QQitemZ110398205504QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/8mm-HSS-HAND-RE...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item4cea1ed3b1

I don't know if I'll need a reamer for mounting the bearings (They'll probably need it more then the pulley). I really don't know what kind of precision they need. It seems like a "roller bearing" might be easier to install for the external support bearing, but it seems I would have to introduce spacers and longer screws to mount it that way (And a slightly longer shaft). Does anybody know what kind of bearings are "easy to install" like these guys where they have two screw mounts? Do they have a name?

supportBeraing.gif

Also, would anyone know where to buy these kind of bearings for 8mm?

Grinhill said:

Oh? Did you have all the equipment, like a vice and making sure the workpiece was secured perfectly positioned directionally?

I don't have any experience in enlargening holes, so I may be underestimating the difficulty.

Also, how did you use the epoxy? Was it a "permanent" mount solution of some sort? If so, how did you center the pulley and ensure it was lined up correctly so wobbling was minimized?

I'm really trying to make sure the motor is serviceable as I haven't got to the point where I can be sure every thing's going to be alright for thousands of miles.

Back