Which Cute Q100 is right for me?

chas58

10 kW
Goal - the light weight and stealth look.
Bike will be used for commuting, 10 miles one way, flat and fast.
Me: Non electric I ride 20mph, can hold 25mph for an hour, and sprint around 30mph.

I want some pedal assist when commuting (sometimes). Target speed 20-25mph with pedaling.
I would like to keep things light, and supplement my legs (pedal assist). I don’t need a hill climber.
Goal: build a bike something like the 250watt Specialized Turbo bike (without spending the $7,000).
Something that will pedal assist cruse at 20-25 (moderate pedaling), max out at 30mph (maybe do 20 by itself)
Something like what Grindz145 built.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32364&hilit=zukster

What I don’t want: a fast electric moped, or a motor that I can overpower.

Recommendations?

Avoid BMS battery like the plague. I'd say you're looking for one of the little Macs from EM3EV http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Wheel builds from them are quality and Macs are name-brand quality motors, who knows what BMS battery gives you. As for batteries you can either do lipo, A123 for EM3EV, or Ping

Front or rear?

How many stop signs and traffic lights?
I use the torque wind, not the speed wind, because I have a lot of stops and starts on the way to work, and the q100 has smaller torque due to it's radius compared to a larger diameter motor such as a Mac/BPM/Ezee.
You might find my thread of interest on the q100 build on a single speed.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45570&hilit=+globe

chas58 said:
Goal - the light weight and stealth look.
Bike will be used for commuting, 10 miles one way, flat and fast.
Me: Non electric I ride 20mph, can hold 25mph for an hour, and sprint around 30mph.

I want some pedal assist when commuting (sometimes). Target speed 20-25mph with pedaling.
I would like to keep things light, and supplement my legs (pedal assist). I don’t need a hill climber.
Goal: build a bike something like the 250watt Specialized Turbo bike (without spending the $7,000).
Something that will pedal assist cruse at 20-25 (moderate pedaling), max out at 30mph (maybe do 20 by itself)
Something like what Grindz145 built.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32364&hilit=zukster

What I don’t want: a fast electric moped, or a motor that I can overpower.

Recommendations?

Hi Chas58,

This is my hybrid with a rear Q100 over-driven at 48V, supposedly 20A. Edit: Oh, by the way this thing weighs only 18kg with a 10AH pack on it.

file.php

I took the recommended torque version rather than the speed version, due to the 700c wheels. It has more torque than I need (I can maintain 25km/h (What's that about 16-17mph?) up a ~7-10% grade with no pedaling, and can easily break 30km/h with a bit of assist.

On the flats, I'm getting high 30s with no pedalling, and high 40s with pedaling. Unfortunately, above that speed, I believe I am overpowering the motor. On a 6.5kg unpowered road bike (Street wheels, not race wheels) I can sustain mid 30s km/h for about 40 minutes as well, and 50km/h for about 5 minutes. So fairly fit, but not competitive fit.

While I am very happy with my bike, I am a constant tinkerer, and thinking of trying another controller and a 14S battery to get better speed out of this. In the longer term, after my wife has forgotten how much I've spent on this, I'm thinking about buying a spare Q100, replacing the magnets with something stronger, and trying a few different winds to get a better balance of torque and speed.

Hope this helps you somewhat, and I haven't just ranted on about my personal experience.

Worth checking out Kepler's latest build too - bigger BPM based.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47139
Nice controller mount.

Thanks everyone, that is all good info.

It looks like my legs might overpower a Q100 @ 36v, but running a Q100-36V at 48V would give me decent speed. BPM or the MAC might be higher speed alternatives. It certainly looks like the MAC package is a quality set up.

Samd – thanks for the info. I commute through the neighborhoods, so that means no stop signs, and a major road crossing every mile (roughly 8 stops/crossings in 10 miles). I’ve been reading about your build with interest.

Sunder – great info, that is what I was looking to understand.

chas58 said:
Thanks everyone, that is all good info.

It looks like my legs might overpower a Q100 @ 36v, but running a Q100-36V at 48V would give me decent speed. BPM or the MAC might be higher speed alternatives. It certainly looks like the MAC package is a quality set up.

Samd – thanks for the info. I commute through the neighborhoods, so that means no stop signs, and a major road crossing every mile (roughly 8 stops/crossings in 10 miles). I’ve been reading about your build with interest.

Sunder – great info, that is what I was looking to understand.

Everything is relative, but generally, higher powered motors need heavier batteries. A Mac/BPM will add at least 12kg to your bike. If you really want lightweight, the Q100 is a good choice for an additional weight of 5 or 6kg. For somebody that can maintain 25mph for an hour, the 36v 328 rpm would be the one for simplicity as long as you're gentle on the throttle 'til you get up to speed and keep the controller out where it gets good air-flow. It should still give reasonable power at 25mph to help you maintain that speed more easily. With this motor, you can use a lighter weight 10aH 36v battery. It would be less suitable in 700c/28"/29" wheels, where the 201 rpm one at 48v would be better. You'd need to find a suitable 48v controller.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
The 36V 328 RPM would be good if I was using it in the range it was designed for, and not pushing on it much at low speeds (gentle throttle at those speeds). A 700c basically has the same rolling circumference (2110 as I recall) as a 26 wheel with the base tires sizes (700x25 and 26" x 2.1).

Here is my greenbikekit's version of the Cutie 100. I had the bike out friday for the 1st time, however, it was unpowered as the throttle didn't work, currently using a ku 61 36v contoller at 48v. will tried again saturday....

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 986
Back