Which wheel to order?

rogerc

1 W
Getting ready to order from cellman and after researching the rims I am confused. This is my first build so be nice.
For the following build what rim should I order?
Building a Mounbtain bike with:
50V 18.5Ah Samsung Triangle Pack
Grin Tech Rev4 Rear Torque Arm
Aluminium Case Charger 58.8V 5A,14S Li Ion/NCM (with Switch)
Half Twist Throttle with 3 speed and cruise
V3 Cycle Analyst Ebike Computer, CA-DPS
Upgrade EM3ev vers. Mac , 500/1000W Pick'n'Mix Kit
I am 6'3" and 225 lbs, 60 years old so no rough stuff or jumps, just riding fire roads etc. Will be built on a Giant Revel frame with disc brakes with 7 gears in the rear.
Which of these rims should I order?
26 DH 19 disc
26 DM 24 disc
26 DX 32 disc
What is the difference between rims?

Also what tires should I mount on this puppy?

For the differences in the rims, see this document from Paul:
http://sdrv.ms/Tyg2Rb

Also, consider dropping him an email, it may take a day or two but he'll give you a good, solid answer.

Tires will depend on how much clearance you have and how aggressive you want the tread. I really like the Schwalbe tires (I run Big Apples). Consider getting "Pre-slimmed" tubes. Your goal is to reduce the possibility of a flat and to soften out the ride. Weight isn't really a concern with the tires. I love my Schwalbe Big Apples (takes a nail and hopefully keeps on ticking) but they have a road/light trail type of tread (which is perfect for my use. See the Schwalbe website for a complete listing of their tires.

Good luck.

rogerc said:
26 DH 19 disc
26 DM 24 disc
26 DX 32 disc
What is the difference between rims?

Hi Roger,

I used DM 24 on my bike. Seemed like ideal combo of wide rim, robust design. On Alex site they also list these under "BMX", which always implies to me "they can take a beating".

Believe DH 19 is kind of a skinny-tire "aero" design. Maybe not so robust?

Believe DX 32 is a low-profile variant of DM24. Kind of begs the question "why?". Low profile would seem to give up some degree of robust. actually, I take that back... Just looked at them, and they look strong as an ox.... but WAY wide. You could mount dune buggy tires on those. Be sure your frame has enough space to handle that kind of extra wide tire.

Get the DX32. It's a wider stronger rim. Perfect for bigger tires 2.0-2.5". It will give you the most stable ride. It's inside rim width is 32mm and outside 39mm. I change to 39mm rims about a year ago. Wished I'd done it long before. Wheels are stronger, truer, and makes changing tires and tubes a lot easier. BTW, I was using 25/32mm rims before.

Back