why does my non geared hub motor coast?

Paul_G

10 kW
I have a Stealth Bomber and just picked up a Stromer ST1 Platinum with a 500 watt hub motor not geared with re-gen and it coasts better than a road bike! How can they do that?

0 - cogging!

There's no way that's not an exaggeration, unless you're drawing some juice from the battery. DD motors recirculate the energy generated by the 'cogging'. I think I saw someone post that the electrical overhead to run the controller was about 15 watts. So unless your controller is turned off, 'cogging' in the motor isn't much of a drag.

Does your back wheel spin indefinitely if you have it off the ground and give it a spin?

gogo said:
There's no way that's not an exaggeration, unless you're drawing some juice from the battery. DD motors recirculate the energy generated by the 'cogging'. I think I saw someone post that the electrical overhead to run the controller was about 15 watts. So unless your controller is turned off, 'cogging' in the motor isn't much of a drag.

Does your back wheel spin indefinitely if you have it off the ground and give it a spin?

Spinning the wheel off the ground I can see it does cogg a small amount, guess I was just use to the Bombers drag :)

Paul_G said:
gogo said:

Spinning the wheel off the ground I can see it does cogg a small amount, guess I was just use to the Bombers drag :)
Did you try it with the controller off and then on?

Back