Why fat tires on a street ebike?

classicalgas said:
but recumbent electric trikes dominated the e-bike classes of Pikes Peak until they were banned.

See, this is what I don't get. Again with the tricycles. I'd never heard of this event until this evening, and trying to dig up something on it, I can see what the deal is - it's an outdoors trade show, basically, and in the trade, there are expensive electric (upright) bicycles, and expensive electric (recumbent) tricycles, so there you go. But obviously (to me, anyway) if you could get there fast with an electric powered recumbent tricycle, it wasn't because of the extra wheel. Put that motor on a recumbent bicycle, I promise it will work.

I have 20x4 innovas on my 72v CYC bike and find the handling to be great (myself + bike <250lbs). The compound lacks grip and I've slid out under throttle around low speed turns (twice) but I don't blame that on the sizing. 30psi. Jumping speed bumps >30mph. I take them up to "50mph" regularly. Gotta pull the glass shards out every now n then as they get pretty deep.

Gonna switch to 100/80-16s moto tires next for some extra peace of mind. Recommendations for something lightweight?

VizineVizion said:
I have 20x4 innovas on my 72v CYC bike and find the handling to be great (myself + bike <250lbs). The compound lacks grip and I've slid out under throttle around low speed turns (twice) but I don't blame that on the sizing. 30psi. Jumping speed bumps >30mph. I take them up to "50mph" regularly. Gotta pull the glass shards out every now n then as they get pretty deep.

Gonna switch to 100/80-16s moto tires next for some extra peace of mind. Recommendations for something lightweight?

Handling can’t be judged in a straight line. It is in aggressive maneuvers and fast turns that a bike’s handling shows. Then, tires are not the only factor. Suspension tuning and geometry are for a big part of handling quality of a bike. Tune the best with the wheels that you have, then you will notice the difference instantly when riding different tire construction, size, width, or gum.

One if my bikes still had its worn out winter tires on (Duro Wildlife). I replaced them with fresh 3’’ Street Hog slicks yesterday. The difference was such, that even an old rider like me had a large smile in the first fast cornerings.

MadRhino said:
Handling can’t be judged in a straight line. It is in aggressive maneuvers and fast turns that a bike’s handling shows. Then, tires are not the only factor. Suspension tuning and geometry are for a big part of handling quality of a bike. Tune the best with the wheels that you have, then you will notice the difference instantly when riding different tire construction, size, width, or gum.

Ya, I've AutoX an '88 AW11 for years.

I don't have the suspension dialed in on my bike at all. But I not mad at the tires for what they are. Esp not the sizing with how shit the roads are

VizineVizion said:
MadRhino said:

Ya, I've AutoX an '88 AW11 for years.

I don't have the suspension dialed in on my bike at all. But I not mad at the tires for what they are. Esp not the sizing with how shit the roads are

It is when roads are sh*t, that proper suspension tuning is making a big difference. Here the city is in neverending street works. A fast commuter need to have ‘dirt grade’ suspension tuning.

I ride on streets. Typically 20-mph, with an occasional 30-mph to escape a car. My cruiser has 3.5-inch tires using street tread...mid-fat? Coupled with a suspension seat post, I like the ride.

I found 4.0-inch tires (or fatter) to be too squishy on turns.

If I lived at a sandy beach or in frequent snow, I would not hesitate to get a 2WD fatbike.

Gotta keep an eye out for them potholes, they seem be getting worse this year. Going fast, need motorcycle/moped grade tires and rims and enough power to throttle past the flakes.

MadRhino said:
It is when roads are sh*t, that proper suspension tuning is making a big difference. Here the city is in neverending street works. A fast commuter need to have ‘dirt grade’ suspension tuning.

--------

3.5" is an odd size, I found when I was riding 26x4" that the feel in a corner was totally odd. Now riding a 3" rear its more ridable for me. I know there are fat bikes out there with 5" tires, 2wd hubbies on 5" would be like floating on butter.

spinningmagnets said:
I ride on streets. Typically 20-mph, with an occasional 30-mph to escape a car. My cruiser has 3.5-inch tires using street tread...mid-fat? Coupled with a suspension seat post, I like the ride.

I found 4.0-inch tires (or fatter) to be too squishy on turns.

If I lived at a sandy beach or in frequent snow, I would not hesitate to get a 2WD fatbike.

markz said:
Going fast, need motorcycle/moped grade tires and rims and enough power to throttle past the flakes

I have heard this myth before.
The downhill world record is 227 kmh down a rocky volcano, on bicycle tires. I never ride more than half of that in town. The only time in my life that I have had a tire blowout was on a motorcycle with Pirelli rubbers. :wink:

To each their own. Some people rave about bicycle tubes and bicycle tires, whether it be the Thorn Proof tubes, or the Marathon Plus tires with the extra thickness on the tread to help save a flat. or some other tire with thicker walls, or lining their tires with old tubes or old slick tires to get that extra thorn proofness, or tire liners.

I'd take the weight penalty with not having to change a flat tire ever again. Some people hardly ever get flats, others say they get 10k miles out of a tire. I am jealous, maybe I should start smoking crack and lose 150lbs be back to a normal BMI weight and not eat bicycle shit up like pez candy. I went into the motorcycle dealership to grab a $40 moped tire, and $15 HD tube, the tube alone weighed a lot, came in a box the size of a 29x4" tire box.

To each their own.

I wouldn’t ride a Schwaalbe Marathon if it was the only tire available. They are freaking dangerous on a fast bike because of their hard gum that is closer to nylon than rubber.

There are good bicycle tires, as well as bad motorcycle tires. And many bicycle tires have better grip than most motorcycle tires, that are made for much heavier load. But, riding bicycle tires has a cost. I have to keep a stock of tires because it is not unusual to have to replace them in a few weeks.

Then about flats. Don’t dream, motorcycle tires are not flat proof. You will not have a flat often, but you will have a hard time fixing it on the side of the road.

markz said:
I went into the motorcycle dealership to grab a $40 moped tire, and $15 HD tube, the tube alone weighed a lot, came in a box the size of a 29x4" tire box.
Glad you finally upgraded. You were changing more flats than Cal.

HK12K said:
markz said:
I went into the motorcycle dealership to grab a $40 moped tire, and $15 HD tube, the tube alone weighed a lot, came in a box the size of a 29x4" tire box.
Glad you finally upgraded. You were changing more flats than Cal.

Yes I finally upgraded, but all the moped/motorcycle tires are out of stock, every dealership which basically just uses Parts Canada catalogue and Kimpex Canada catalogue (ships out of QC)

Must be covid to blame for out of stock tires.

Get one used from the motorcycle scrapyards in the meantime. Maybe on ebay. It is shipping that is slow and expansive right now. Distributers are low in stock because they don’t want to pay the shipping cost to refill their inventory.

MadRhino said:
I have heard this myth before.
The downhill world record is 227 kmh down a rocky volcano, on bicycle tires. I never ride more than half of that in town. The only time in my life that I have had a tire blowout was on a motorcycle with Pirelli rubbers. :wink:

Nooo, I just ordered 100/80-16 Pirelli MT-75s :cry:

This thread motivated me btw. Curious to see what the weight penalty is vs 204 Innovas with tubes and tire liners.

Pirelli are good tires, and on your ebike it is way overkill. The fact that I have had a blowout on a motorcycle with them is irrelevant, considering the speed and riding weight.

The wheel weight penalty is important, between bicycle and motorcycle. It is the reason why I prefer riding bicycle tires, even at the cost of frequent replacement.

Do you think there will be a fat bike with 6" wide tires, or even 5.5" wide fat tires.

5.05" is available - https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/worlds-fattest-fat-bike-tire-the-vee-snow-shoe-2xl/

Why fat tires on a street ebike?

Only for their looks, and to me only the kids size with the 20" fatties look cool. Big mooshy (compromised safe handling) air brake high rolling resistance low speed limit tires have no good place on a street ride. In soft sand or snow sure, but otherwise a big no.

fat tires bicycle /ebike or regular/ is more like a fashion thing to me, wastage of pedalling effort, high cost, long pumping time/effort.

Lets define the range in size of what a "fat tire" is. Would a 2.80" wide tire be considered "fat", what about a 2.50" ?

I would say definitely a 3.00" tire is fat. Back in the day, 2.20" and 2.125 were considered fat, now those are normal.

I didn't realize Miro actually pedals :lol:
8)

I envisioned you as a w.o.t. with a little fake pedaling once in a while, kind of rider.

markz said:
Lets define the range in size of what a "fat tire" is. Would a 2.80" wide tire be considered "fat", what about a 2.50" ?

I would say definitely a 3.00" tire is fat. Back in the day, 2.20" and 2.125 were considered fat, now those are normal.

In terms of how today’s bike manufacturers position their products, 2.7 to 3.0 tires are “plus”, and 3.5 and up are “fat”. It’s a matter of what changes have to happen to the bike frame to make the tire fit. Plus bikes have funny curved tubes and chainstay bridges for tire clearance, but fatbikes have weird bottom brackets and super wide hubs.

Yes, correct Mirro actually pedal out of decency.
in my book - no matter what is installed on bicycle one I see rider moving his/her leg means bicycle to me.

miro13car said:
Yes, correct Mirro actually pedal out of decency.
in my book - no matter what is installed on bicycle one I see rider moving his/her leg means bicycle to me.

I like that line, makes sense I guess. Perhaps its more you feel guilty, or maybe I just feel guilty when I dont pedal at all.

I like the extra air cushoning that the fat tire has, also the larger diameter of a fat tire 26x4" being close to 29" diameter cuts down on the harsh vibrations that go through the bike when you go over any kind of bump on a rigid bike. Yes I have noticed it, and its a great pro.

I dislike the ride characteristics of a fat tire. It's hard to explain the feel of a fat tire on pavement while cornering or at any angle on the bike at all. Its a very odd feeling, I am used to mtb tires 26 x 2.00" size. And thats just it, riding a fat bike on pavement just isnt what its meant for, its meant for mud, snow, beach.

Its a give and take, I take a ride that is cushioned by more air, less bumpiness, I give away that fat tires are more expensive, niche terrain, odd feel while riding.

miro13car said:
fat tires bicycle /ebike or regular/ is more like a fashion thing to me, wastage of pedalling effort, high cost, long pumping time/effort.

I can't agree. All the delivery boys are switching to hardtail 204 bikes. Spend all day criss-crossing the city and you'll want the extra cushion. I have full sus and still want to drop the tires down below 30psi but the sidewall flex scares me.
I couldn't imagine riding something like a Vanmoof the way I ride my BRX. Even if it had suspension.

VizineVizion said:
miro13car said:

I can't agree. All the delivery boys are switching to hardtail 204 bikes. Spend all day criss-crossing the city and you'll want the extra cushion.

So they’re losing range and speed on the tire width and the diameter too, cool.

There was a time when bicycle delivery guys used pedal power to get around, and this kind if nonsense wouldn’t have lasted a day on the street before being rejected.

Back