Why fat tires on a street ebike?

Balmorhea said:
VizineVizion said:
I can't agree. All the delivery boys are switching to hardtail 204 bikes. Spend all day criss-crossing the city and you'll want the extra cushion.

So they’re losing range and speed on the tire width and the diameter too, cool.

There was a time when bicycle delivery guys used pedal power to get around, and this kind if nonsense wouldn’t have lasted a day on the street before being rejected.

Ya I started off as a Mess racer on 700c tires. Find me in a few japanese issues of Loop Magazine if I have to show credentials

The chinese/mexican ebike dudes started off on regular MTB frames, standing on the pedals all day instead of sitting. They all ride fattys now and sit. Wholefoods switched their entire fleet of trailer pulling ebikes to 204 fattys.

What is range when you have a 5+amp charger?

VizineVizion said:
204 fattys.

What is range when you have a 5+amp charger?

What is a 204 fatty?

A 5 amp charger will dump in 5Ah into the battery in an hour. If you have 36V 10Ah battery and a 5A charger, then it should be about 2 hours to charge that battery from empty to full.

I have never played around with this tool at Grintech www.ebikes.ca
https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/charge-simulator.html
but you can if you want. All I know is there is a charge curve, first it starts off in Constant Current then changes to Constant Voltage.
You can also check out their youtube channel videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbKIWz7uAeDSMgulTonKk6w/videos?pbjreload=101

markz said:
What is a 204 fatty?

A 5 amp charger will dump in 5Ah into the battery in an hour. If you have 36V 10Ah battery and a 5A charger, then it should be about 2 hours to charge that battery from empty to full.

2-oh-4 fatty = any 20x4" tired bike. Larger than that isn't really apartment friendly and overkill for the city.

So here, we've mapped out all the outdoor power outlets. You can find the Delivery boys loitering around them when batteries get low or they're waiting for orders. 5amp chargers are typical. Some carry two with a splitter, or an adjustable output charger since we all share outlets and try not to blow em (tho the dualtron guys suck at math and blow em)

Grab lunch, talk shit, run orders. Lots of topping off so most don't go below 40%. Especially the Uni's

VizineVizion said:
2-oh-4 fatty = any 20x4" tired bike. Larger than that isn't really apartment friendly and overkill for the city.

I've never heard or seen thats, maybe just the folding bicycles like that ES airplane guy had a fat folding bicycle, 20" maybe. I have to look more into it. Whats the overall diameter of that, because a 26x4 is 29", so maybe the 20x4 is 23 or 24" total diameter. The frame wouldnt be a good fit for a tall guy.

markz said:
I've never heard or seen thats, maybe just the folding bicycles like that ES airplane guy had a fat folding bicycle, 20" maybe. I have to look more into it. Whats the overall diameter of that, because a 26x4 is 29", so maybe the 20x4 is 23 or 24" total diameter. The frame wouldnt be a good fit for a tall guy.

Like super73/juiced/rad/those folding bikes you mention.

Ya, its a cramped cockpit. I'm 6' but don't pedal much.
The diameter is about 23-24" you're right. I just got Pirelli 100/80-16 tires to try out and they are 1-2" smaller. May offset the added weight which doesn't seem like too much.

Will report back on the differences

Balmorhea said:
There was a time when bicycle delivery guys used pedal power to get around, and this kind if nonsense wouldn’t have lasted a day on the street before being rejected.
There was a time when bicycle messengers were teenagers or pre-teens and rode fixies that were too big for them. Over cobblestones and mud. 12+ hours per day, late into the night. 1908-1917 Bicycle messengers

Here courrier riders are average 30 yrs old, and none of them riding ebikes. Most of them are using older racing road bikes. Their work is in heavy trafic and crowded downtown streets, and average 80 miles a day.

I ride fast, motorcycle power ebikes, and can’t follow them in trafic because they are too wild and obey no rules.

Back