Will this bike work for a 16KW build?

Does the OP specify whether 16kw is peak or average?

I mean you could probably get 2kw out of the smallest of small hub motors (250W) for a very very short time before it cooks/breaks.

$300 and it has pedals:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bop/d/berkeley-ebike-frame-only/7330780020.html
00r0r_hcj4mBSorWqz_0CI0CI_600x450.jpg

Hillhater said:
Backpack battery is not a bad option.
It has many “pros” and a few “cons” , but still a practical solution.
Cable sizing and losses may be an issue fo 5++ kW power though ?
I ride with a 20+lb backpack battery, and after 5-10 mins i dont even notice it is there.
2+ hr ride is no problem .

That sounds promising, what backpack are you using? I am thinking 4 gauge flexible wire should work well. I won't be drawing more than around 5kw continous, and even 5kw I won't draw for more than a few minutes at a time.

markz said:
Does the OP specify whether 16kw is peak or average?

I mean you could probably get 2kw out of the smallest of small hub motors (250W) for a very very short time before it cooks/breaks.

It is peak. The spec sheet for my battery cells say for up to 10 seconds, and I will only be getting 16kw when fully charged. Average power at full speed will be somewhere between 4 and 6kw, and I will not be going full speed often.

E-HP said:
$300 and it has pedals:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bop/d/berkeley-ebike-frame-only/7330780020.html
00r0r_hcj4mBSorWqz_0CI0CI_600x450.jpg

That would be a great option, if I lived in the US.

IMG_20210626_142147.jpg
What do you guys think of this bike? It's a kona bear dee lux, has 150mm removable dropouts, and it is ugly enough that I would be comfortable locking it in public during the day. Seller wants $470.

That kona bear dee lux ^^ looks like a better candidate than your original but does it really have a 150mm drop out width?

pwd said:
That kona bear dee lux ^^ looks like a better candidate than your original but does it really have a 150mm drop out width?

Well, the seller had no idea what dropout width was, but after explaining what it was, he sent me this picture and said it looked to be 165-170mm. As he may have measured from the outside of the dropouts, I think it is 150mm.
received_954410545144806.jpeg

I’m stuffing 17kw into a QS 205 3.5T motor and it’s a wonderful experience that continually puts a smile on my face every time I ride the bike. All I was going to add is if you want to “continue” to pump your 16kw into your 4T motor you will need ferro fluid and Hubsinks. You will also need a good controller and I can not recommend the Nucular 24F enough. It’s tiny and keeps the motor running the most efficient and coolest…..ask me how I know!

I would recommend NOT using regen in any way on a bicycle frame. Years ago I did what you are doing with a Giant DH Team bike frame. I straight cut the axle holes out the back (like a motorcycle!) and used “Doc’s” epoxy on drop outs. Worked great but not being clamping drop outs regen would allow the axle slightly move/rock and rounded the axle. I quit using regen all together. You’ll never recoup enough to make a difference on a bicycle unless you have thousands of feet in elevation change.

As far as the “battery in a backpack” I understand why you have to and that is a bummer. Since your using a low turn motor I don’t believe there is a reason to go 22s since you won’t/don’t need the speed. I like that it would lower the amperage but with 4 gauge cables coming from the back pack I think your overkill already. Not to mention the 5 lbs in 4 gauge cables from backpack to controller. As someone else has already recommended, I’d recommend you go to a 21700 Samsung 4000 35 amp or Molicel 4000 45 amp cell. 22s5p or 20s6p would be a bad ass pack.

Hope the bike turns out for you.

Good luck and be safe.

Tom

E-HP said:
Haien said:
...has 150mm removable dropouts...

was it customized? thats a cross country bike.

I do not think so, but judging from the pictures it actually seems to be 150mm. Yes, but reading reviews and such people only seem to have good things to say about it.

Haien said:
I do not think so, but judging from the pictures it actually seems to be 150mm. Yes, but reading reviews and such people only seem to have good things to say about it.
Can't tell for sure, but it looks like it has a skewer.

Nine speeds and what appears to be a skewer. Doubt it's more than 135 mm since at that time (early 2000's AFAICT) they didn't have anything wider. Easy to check though.

litespeed said:
I’m stuffing 17kw into a QS 205 3.5T motor and it’s a wonderful experience that continually puts a smile on my face every time I ride the bike. All I was going to add is if you want to “continue” to pump your 16kw into your 4T motor you will need ferro fluid and Hubsinks. You will also need a good controller and I can not recommend the Nucular 24F enough. It’s tiny and keeps the motor running the most efficient and coolest…..ask me how I know!

I would recommend NOT using regen in any way on a bicycle frame. Years ago I did what you are doing with a Giant DH Team bike frame. I straight cut the axle holes out the back (like a motorcycle!) and used “Doc’s” epoxy on drop outs. Worked great but not being clamping drop outs regen would allow the axle slightly move/rock and rounded the axle. I quit using regen all together. You’ll never recoup enough to make a difference on a bicycle unless you have thousands of feet in elevation change.

As far as the “battery in a backpack” I understand why you have to and that is a bummer. Since your using a low turn motor I don’t believe there is a reason to go 22s since you won’t/don’t need the speed. I like that it would lower the amperage but with 4 gauge cables coming from the back pack I think your overkill already. Not to mention the 5 lbs in 4 gauge cables from backpack to controller. As someone else has already recommended, I’d recommend you go to a 21700 Samsung 4000 35 amp or Molicel 4000 45 amp cell. 22s5p or 20s6p would be a bad ass pack.

Hope the bike turns out for you.

Good luck and be safe.

Tom

Thanks for an informative an well thought out answer!

I will get a motor with a temp sensor so I can keep an eye on temperature. I will most likely have to install ferrofluid and hubsinks down the line, but I am planning to start out without it.

I would consider that controller, but not for that price. $1650 will almost be the cost of my whole build! I have heard good things about the sabvotons you can buy directly from qs motors, and the 72150 (unlocked to 200A) and 72200 have really good price. They are sinewave and very customizable as far as I know. As I will buy my motor from qs, getting the controller at the same time is convinient.

At first, I planned to build my own 20s battery pack using molicel p26a or the molicel 21700's you recommend, and that would have costed me right around $1000 to build where I am (including making/buying a spot welder), but then I found a way to get my hands on a few eig c020 cells. They are 3.65v nominal 20Ah cells rated at 100A continous and 200A peak, building a 22s1p pack of these (80.3v nom, 20Ah) will only cost me about $700, and I don't have to do a lot of work building the pack as they are big cells. The reason for going 22s is that the limit of the sabvoton 72150 and the 72200 is 95v, making 22s the highest I can run while charging the cells to 4.2v. 20s would be enough speed wise, but I like the little extra capacity 22s gives me, as well as the slightly improved torque higher voltage gives (the extra 2 cells will probably provide more than enough extra voltage to cancel out the voltage sag from drawing 200A from a 20s pack).

Not using regen without clamping dropouts seems wise, I have read of others rounding axles or dropouts from it as well. The kona bear dee lux seems to have removable (thru-axle) dropouts, so I would ideally be able to make my own clamping dropouts (maybe supported on the chainstay) to put on the bike, and in that case, I would use regen, otherwise it seems to be a dumb idea.

What gauge cable do you use? What gauge do you think would be optimal for about 60A continous, 200A max?

Thank you!

2old said:
Nine speeds and what appears to be a skewer. Doubt it's more than 135 mm since at that time (early 2000's AFAICT) they didn't have anything wider. Easy to check though.

Yup, they only made that model in 2002.

2old said:

Hm, that would not be good news. It is a pretty long drive to the seller.

Haien said:
2old said:

Those aren't removable dropouts. Not sure where you got that.
(unless you mean with a hacksaw)

E-HP said:
Haien said:
2old said:

Those aren't removable dropouts. Not sure where you got that.
(unless you mean with a hacksaw)

Are you sure? You can buy replacement dropouts for it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/KONA-Bear-Dee-Lux-Hoo-Ha-Nunu-Stinky-Primo-Yee-ha-Rear-Gear-Mech-Hanger-CC007-/301759380219?_ul=BY

But yeah, using a hacksaw, or drill to drill out what appears to be a rivot of some sort, will work.

Haien said:
Are you sure? You can buy replacement dropouts for it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/KONA-Bear-Dee-Lux-Hoo-Ha-Nunu-Stinky-Primo-Yee-ha-Rear-Gear-Mech-Hanger-CC007-/301759380219?_ul=BY

But yeah, using a hacksaw, or drill to drill out what appears to be a rivot of some sort, will work.

That's a derailleur hanger.

pict_frame_road.gif

Haien said:
What gauge cable do you use? What gauge do you think would be optimal for about 60A continous, 200A max?

Thank you!

I think you would be fine with 8 gauge but I’d probably use 6 gauge.

Tom

E-HP said:
Haien said:

That's a derailleur hanger.

pict_frame_road.gif

Oh, I see. Well I will still probably be able to mount my own clamping dropouts to the holes and to the chainstay.

litespeed said:
Haien said:

Thank you!

I think you would be fine with 8 gauge but I’d probably use 6 gauge.

Tom

Okay, thank you

The seller said he thinks the dropouts are about 140mm measured from inside to inside, they are probably 135mm. That's a shame.

Haien said:
The seller said he thinks the dropouts are about 140mm measured from inside to inside, they are probably 135mm. That's a shame.

At least he was honest in the end. Are you going to get it?

E-HP said:
Haien said:

I don't think so, how would I fit my 205?

Haien said:
E-HP said:
Haien said:

I don't think so, how would I fit my 205?

I thought you said you were making custom dropouts.

"Oh, I see. Well I will still probably be able to mount my own clamping dropouts to the holes and to the chainstay."

Back