Wind and Solar vs Coal, Gasoline, Nuclear

The reason we even have nuclear power generation at scale is because it generates weapons grade byproducts. It's not a good reason, but it is the reason. That's why safer, more efficient, less polluting, lower EROEI alternative fission plant designs were never fully developed and commercialized. They still haven't made the case for themselves as being commercially viable in practice. I expect we'll see eventually whether they are or not, but there's no getting around the fact that this is very expensive tech with very expensive long term externalities of security, site cleanup, and waste disposal, plus undesirable suppressive effects on property values and land uses.
Yes, the reason we dont have safer, more efficient, less problematic, less polluting, Nuclear designs ,…is a political/military decision rather than any technical reason…
…but that may have been very beneficial in geopolitical terms ?
However, given that we have now been directed down this particular technology path for power generation, i do not agree that this is …
very expensive tech with very expensive long term externalities….
for those who dont read other threads etc..

Well, one thing about solar and wind farms, they can coexist with a real farm. Nuclear and coal plants don't go well with real plants

Nobody wants to share space with a nuclear or fossil power plant. So those facilities not only occupy huge swaths of land directly, but they sharply limit the economic uses of all the land for kilometers around them. This is one of the many externalized costs that is never accounted for when promoters of those industries disingenuously compare the cost of green energy to that of black energy.

None of those black energy boosters choose to live right next to the power stations they describe as so benign, even though it would be a great bargain for them to do so.

The character reactor on the edge of Livermore Ca is literally adjacent to the experimental spider research facility., That was a scary thought but evidently it ain't arachnoid, it is an acronym for something...

Next to both are fields with cows and oak tree's, low pressure reactors are safe, and clean and I would have one in my backyard

California has some of the most toxic radiation sites in the country, including Santa Susana and multiple military waste dumps, both on land, and just offshore underwater.

"Under the cloak of secrecy, the lab conducted experiments with plutonium and uranium, and fabricated prototype weapons parts. At its large test range near Tracy, in Northern California, it blew up atomic triggers that used depleted uranium.

In the process, Livermore released uranium, tritium, solvents and high explosive residues into the ground and groundwater, said Judy Steenhoven, deputy chief of environmental restoration at the lab. The contaminants, however, have not affected public water supplies. Although Livermore’s contamination is far less potent than at other sites in the nuclear-weapons complex, it is unlikely that the land will ever be suitable for homes or other uses for the general public."

Last edited:
The character reactor on the edge of Livermore Ca is literally adjacent to the experimental spider research facility., That was a scary thought but evidently it ain't arachnoid, it is an acronym for something...

Next to both are fields with cows and oak tree's, low pressure reactors are safe, and clean and I would have one in my backyard
Research reactors are not only hugely different in scale than commercial nuclear power plant, but they're run by academics rather than corporations trying to maximize profits.

I still wouldn't have one in my backyard, but you're talking about a very different animal.

SL-1 was a small research reactor, and we can see how that one worked out. Lead coffins. Maybe you'll volunteer your backyard as the gravesite the next time one is needed.

SL-1 was a small research reactor, and we can see how that one worked out. Lead coffins. Maybe you'll volunteer your backyard as the gravesite the next time one is needed.

Well now that is a wee bit personal.

And for the record, I have buried the dead after combat, I have prepped bodies to be sent home to their families, and I have hand delivered letters to every parent whose child died under my command. So yeah, I will volunteer, will you?

Livermore Labs also gave out materials from the sewage treatment facility they had on the grounds. It was high quality manure they had even gone to the point of analysing it and back filling it to be better.

Which is why you are supposed to wear a respirator when you go to big tree's park. It is a beautiful place, pretty much vacant all the time, it is directly next to an elementary school. I bought the house across the street from it when my daughter was born.

And yep, there was in fact plutonium in micro amounts in the park... whats the safe level of exposure to plutonium? none, there is no safe exposure level.

Pity they did not check for leaked volatiles in the testing, but, honestly, shit happens. While as a scientist I have full grasp of the risks in failed process, and I am intimately familiar with what happens to the human body when it is inflicted with extreme events. I still jumped out of planes and kicked in doors, I am not trying to prosyltise, and I actually do not recommend military service in most cases, honestly, it probably was not real good for me.

But something ya might want to take into consideration. When you see the big sleepy looking guy who tends to crack a lot of jokes and never really takes too much seriously, in this case, that person is a vet, who served for 10 years in the Rangers. Then had close contact with an explosion and came out of it with a broken pelvis. The first question I asked the Dr's was "How long until I can get back with my men" I don't require or expect any cow towing. For me it is water off a ducks back. I am an Irish Born bastard (born out of wedlock, not referring to my personality) I have heard it all and then some. But understand, a lot of the guys that went and served so that you *DON'T HAVE TO* Would like at least a little common courtesy when you are speaking about things you will never really understand. Please do not assume that us ignorant soldier types are stupid, or we don't know what we are really talking about. I have been on the sharp end. I have a pretty good idea what happens out there.

And yes, I would still volunteer to have one in "my back yard" while not literally, my back yard is the size of a postage stamp. but down the block a bit wouldn't bother me too much. While I crack jokes about my intellect, this came from the abrupt event that left me the dumbest guy in the room. I worked with a bunch of lads from MIT, suddenly Cal and UCLA were rather insignificant.

The difference between my perspective and the folks that whinge like a dog in heat... I understand what a third world country is. I have been to many of them. I have helped dig wells, Seen what happens when people can't even get decent soap and get infestations in their feet. If I have to deal with a bit of mess or pollution so my kiddo can have electric lights, clean water and a heated home... Ok, I am perfectly willing to accept the reality of the situation. It means we have to deal with some nasty in life. I have been on the other side.. and is sucked. Good people, but Oh no, I like running water and soil that is not infested with parasites. Call me all wacka doo, but I think the problems that come with modern society do need to be addressed, but I have this horrific inability to stick my head in the sand and pretend that it is all just the bad people making this happen. Sorry brother, you have an E-bike. You are directly responsible for some of the nastiest mining and rare earth gathering on the planet, the things you have never seen about the reality of where all these minerals come from is simply breathtaking. Me too.

Accepting that there is a problem is the first step. I think the motto should go on to "and not screaming about whose fault is this" should be the second.

It doesn't have to be put up with plutonium in parks or else we'll be a third world hellhole.
There's better solutions to both problems.
And anybody taking smack about about the toxic mining for battery materials while promoting nuclear seems pretty disingenuous, considering the long term deadliness of uranium mining and processing, which have left some of the most toxic sites in the world.

I was not defending either, I was actually saying that there are non-uranium power generation systems thaat... etc etc.

Also, I own a platinum mine, lock stock and barrel, good material too... Except that it is hotter than hell and getting production running would cost about as much as the platinum that is validated to be there. So, it becomes one of those weird risk events.

I literally won this in a bet, and knew the issues before I accepted it. has opened a number of conversations over the years.

Back