Winter mid-drive ebike on Tracks

Wishes

1 kW
Has anyone tried adapting one of these to a mid-drive ebike?

http://www.ktrak.es/indexeng.htm

I have 2 gng kits, one belt drive and one chain driven. I was considering using my chain driven version for a winter specific build. But I was curious if anyone on ES has tried to adapt these kits?

Wishes

Madboy Electric Vehicles in Seattle, WA has done one...no report on its performance though.
http://www.madboyev.com/
https://www.facebook.com/MadboyElectricVehicles

DamnitMan said:
Madboy Electric Vehicles in Seattle, WA has done one...no report on its performance though.
http://www.madboyev.com/
https://www.facebook.com/MadboyElectricVehicles

Awesome!!! Thanks :D

I went through his thread, although I don't think he ever finished his build or if he has, he didn't finish his postings, it helped a lot give me an idea what I am getting myself into. Much of his work went to adapting the mid drive system to his bike. Thankfully, with the GNG kits, that makes that part simple.

I found some of these ktrak kits on ebay and went ahead and ordered one. I'm going to put it on my Kona Stinky Deluxe. I current have a GNG mid drive, chain driven kit installed on it. It has been upgraded with Lightningrods plates and running at 18S lipo 45 amps for a little more than 3kw of power. It should make a good combination on my Stinky frame. Unfortunately I found this a little late in our winter season, spring is just around the corner. So by the time it all comes in and I put it together and winterize the electronics, I will probably have to wait until next winter to try it out.

I the mean time, I have a second gng kit that is belt driven that I will use to make myself a second built, on wheels. Time to start shopping for a new frame. The plan is to have a dedicated bike for each of our seasons :D

Wishes

Hi, this is Maggie, from Madboy Electric Vehicles. We've tried the K-Trax system out on numerous occasions and it works great--but we've avoided putting footage up because the pedals on our test platform are giving way. (!) Our test platform is a well-used Tonaro mid-drive (r-martin) pulling an 1200-1500W thru a Lyen controller. This is off of a 16S LiFePO4 10Ah battery. I wish I had more information, but I think this is because we're putting a lot of of torque through our pedals. What we've learned: the Ktrak gives you a lot of resistance--there's a lot to turn. Get your torque anyway you can--gearing/wattage/etc. You'll have to crank that thing over hard in low-gear. But also, your lowest gear has to be able to give you enough speed to keep your momentum and plane while shifting. Because the moment you lose your momentum, you bog down.

Your snow conditions matter. The softer the snow, the more power you will need. Powder up to my knees, even in spring-melted snow, is common here, and we've had a warmer season than normal. I was trying this out at 39 degrees F at roughly 3,500 feet above sea level in the Cascades. A bike-lane-legal bike would probably be fine on a groomed cross-country trail below 25 degrees, as long as you helped. This is not a powder tool. If anyone's thinking of building one, start now, and you'll probably be done in time for the arrival of corn snow in your state. Wishes, this bike is ideal for late spring conditions. Don't lose hope, you can probably get it built in time to enjoy it this year!

Is there already a good thread discussing how snow conditions will affect ebike riding? Or would this thread be a good place to discuss?

Madboy said:
Hi, this is Maggie, from Madboy Electric Vehicles. We've tried the K-Trax system out on numerous occasions and it works great--but we've avoided putting footage up because the pedals on our test platform are giving way. (!) Our test platform is a well-used Tonaro mid-drive (r-martin) pulling an 1200-1500W thru a Lyen controller. This is off of a 16S LiFePO4 10Ah battery. I wish I had more information, but I think this is because we're putting a lot of of torque through our pedals. What we've learned: the Ktrak gives you a lot of resistance--there's a lot to turn. Get your torque anyway you can--gearing/wattage/etc. You'll have to crank that thing over hard in low-gear. But also, your lowest gear has to be able to give you enough speed to keep your momentum and plane while shifting. Because the moment you lose your momentum, you bog down.

Your snow conditions matter. The softer the snow, the more power you will need. Powder up to my knees, even in spring-melted snow, is common here, and we've had a warmer season than normal. I was trying this out at 39 degrees F at roughly 3,500 feet above sea level in the Cascades. A bike-lane-legal bike would probably be fine on a groomed cross-country trail below 25 degrees, as long as you helped. This is not a powder tool. If anyone's thinking of building one, start now, and you'll probably be done in time for the arrival of corn snow in your state. Wishes, this bike is ideal for late spring conditions. Don't lose hope, you can probably get it built in time to enjoy it this year!

Is there already a good thread discussing how snow conditions will affect ebike riding? Or would this thread be a good place to discuss?

That is a good point. I have not seen many references to people e-biking in the winter on the forums. Our winters get pretty cold. So not that common up here.
I have winterized a few ebikes for people so far. People using them to commute in downtown environments. The biggest problem is the salt and other corrosives they deploy in our streets.

Commercial ebikes need a total winterizing job. Sealing all the connectors and anywhere moisture can seep in. Many of them love to put the controller right under the pedals in a nice box made just for it. Problem is they usually have a nice big hole facing forward to let the cables out. I've had a few ebikes brought to me because they would cut out when ridden in wet conditions. They were liquid cooling their controllers lol.

As for my build. I swapped out stock BB, pedals, crank arms for ISIS Cyclone hardened parts. Have not had any more issues with that part since then. I also run Lyen controller at 18s Lipo and 45 amps. And it eats through all my other parts of my drive train. That is why i was considering removing my derailleur and rear cassette and go with a single speed bmx sprocket and chain. With the volts and amps, i should be able to find the right single speed ration to give me enough tork on takeoffs and enough top speed.

That is the plan at least. The Ktrak kit is on its way. Anxiously awaiting it.

Wishes

Got hit with another 20cm of snow tonight, well still falling and will probably end up being 25-30cm after all is done. We knew this storm was coming, I think a large part of the US also got it. So I crammed at the last minute and just finished. I will have to wait until tomorrow to go try it out.

I also installed my new Lyen controller. 24s at 40 amps, here I come :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

snow-kona.jpg

Very nice build. I belive no one could had made it better.
How much battery W you have installed? Or have you a backpack?
Will you make videos with this beauty in action?

I went for my first runs today. It is quite a blast. It is a hell of a different experience than riding a bike. The front ski changes the whole feel.

At first I had a hard time getting all my power down to it. My tension on my primary and secondary kept slipping. Once I finally straightened that out......what a blast I had. I rode it without barely pedaling lol.

I rode it on different surfaces. Deep loose powder snow is really hard on it. The bike was already a heavy build, add the whole track weight to it, it is really heavy. So it sinks in deep snow creating a lot of resistance. I was pushing 3kw easily to keep myself going a descent speed through a field. But it provided good traction and I had a blast going up and over hills they had around.

I rode in on our snow cleared streets that have a good few inches of packed snow. It was not stable at speeds at all. I had to be careful and not ride very fast at all. Even at that I had to be careful not to spin it with too much throttle as the back would tend to slide out on to the side from under me. The front ski provided with a surprising amount of traction on both surfaces. Once you get used to the feel of it.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to ride it for very long, and I was alone so no videos...yet.

Wishes

zener said:
Very nice build. I belive no one could had made it better.
How much battery W you have installed? Or have you a backpack?
Will you make videos with this beauty in action?

That one bag you see on top contains 5AH only. I add a second bag to get 10AH.

Video are coming :D

I took it out today and ran 30AH of battery packs on it. I had a blast like a kid with a new toy. I was pleased to see the belt holding at 4kw peaks through some deep and powdered snow.

IMAG0185.jpg

RC_guy said:
holly smokes that's too cool.
I need to come over to film it and try it...geez

I think I am going to take out to the airfield today after lunch and ride it in the fields over there. I hope there is enough snow left. Your welcome to come join me.

Wishes

Madboy said:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=57243

You'd discuss the bicycle here, but the motorcycle/scooter section had a little.

Dauntless said:
Madboy said:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=57243

You'd discuss the bicycle here, but the motorcycle/scooter section had a little.

Ooo cool. Thanks for the reference Dauntless.

It just won't go away this year. This is what our streets looked like at noon today.

IMAG0207.jpg

I was alone, so no videos again. After a 10AH of hard riding.

ktrakebikesmaller.jpg

It is a blast. But the track won't last long. Lost 3 pads on it today. Gonna have to start looking for replacements already.

Wishes

Back