Wireless speedo doesn't work with ebike controller.

sico

100 W
This is a heads-up and call for suggestions or advice.

I brought a cateye wireless commuter computer and found that the switching in the controller interferes with the wireless speedo function. If I roll off the throttle the speedo works ... until I go back on the juice then it shows 0kph.

The controller is a cellman 9 fet on 20A running a mac motor on 12s lipo.

I've noticed a related problem when trying to listen to cricket on am radio on the ebike (in that case a lyen 12 fet on 30a). It just doesn't work, there's so much interference from the controller that you can't listen.

Does anyone else have any experience with these issues?

Simon.

PS: on the plus side, most of the time when I roll off the throttle I'm in the high 40s kph :)

Edit: I should mention that the controller is on the seat tube, between the rear wheel (rear mac) and the frame.

try wrapping some tin foil around the controller and phase wires to keep the electrical noise in the controller

i think it will not be enough, but worth a try.
if it works, we can look for a more permanent solution

I had a similar problem early in my ebike riding. In my case though, it turned out the cheap bell wireless speedo simply did not work at all. Since then, I have used cheap wired speedos and never tried another wireless one.

With all the extra wire on an ebike, the speedo wire is no big deal to me.

Hi dogster, my speedo wasn't that cheap, I suspect no wireless speedo would work. I reckon I will go for a cheaper wired speedo, though as a year round commuter I like the thermometer on the cateye :| .

Hi Nieles, what would you see as the permanent solution if that worked? I definitely wouldn't be able to ride for long with parts wrapped in foil.

Simon.

That's what I was thinking at the time, I was thinking the motor itself was putting out interfereing emf. I tried moving the sensor away from the motor towards the rim. But in that particular case, the speedo simply did not work at all. I returned it, and a second one also did not work at all. WM stuff.

depends on where the noise is coming from.

can you move the controller around? maybe relocating the controller can be enough (further away from the wireless transmitter/receiver)

I went through this over a year ago. Even an ebike close to yours will screw it up. You will have to go a wired bike computer. These work well for me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Bike-Bicycle-Cycle-Computer-Odometer-Speedometer-NR-/330610502233
These stay in last mode selected. The cheaper ones default back when they auto shut off.

All my wired speedos work just fine. The cycle analyst has a speedometer in it too. there are solutions :)

If there's gonna be some wicked interference, it's prolly coming from the motor AND controller, so good luck on that one :p

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17331

Thanks TD, doesn't hurt to have a few mor key words for google though.

My sensor is on the front forks and the computer is on the handlebars. The controller is behind the seat tube, just in front of the rear wheel. They are as far apart as they can be, and still no joy.

I'm resigned to having to buy a wired computer, so that' s the solution I would recommend for people searching for this topic.

I might try taping on some alfoil, but somehow I doubt it will work.

Simon.

Yes ebike controllers are frigging big square wave generators so will generate lots of harmonic noise across bands and yes my old colleague used to tell me he could hear me approaching him from 200 yards away when he was sat in traffic with his radio on :lol: and yes I had a nice wireless comp, same problem only way around was to fit a wired, I use cateye enduro 8 computers, they are awesome and dont suffer at all with the noise.

images

Back