Wireless Wii Nunchuck *TESTERS WANTED

sweet thanks. The Uno will help, to the extent that if you had it, you could test new software now. I found *a* problem, which our ESCs dealt with but yours may be acting a bit more precise. The version of code you're doing is apparently emitting neutral at 1472ms, but the ESCs usually want 1500ms, and range from 1000-2000. The version I'm fixin' to test emits neutral at exactly 1500ms, and I confirmed full deflection at exactly 1000 and 2000 brake / forward.

It seems your ESC is treating that very-slight-brake as a drag brake. I'm about to put this version on my own board and take a few laps. Check the other ESCs, I'm curious if they're all that picky.

I can send you an updated unit in Tuesday's mail, you'd have it Thursday; or we can save each direction shipping and I can walk you through updating on an Uno -- you'll need 5 jumper wires, but it's easy. Your call, let me know which you'd prefer.

austindavid said:
sweet thanks. The Uno will help, to the extent that if you had it, you could test new software now. I found *a* problem, which our ESCs dealt with but yours may be acting a bit more precise. The version of code you're doing is apparently emitting neutral at 1472ms, but the ESCs usually want 1500ms, and range from 1000-2000. The version I'm fixin' to test emits neutral at exactly 1500ms, and I confirmed full deflection at exactly 1000 and 2000 brake / forward.

It seems your ESC is treating that very-slight-brake as a drag brake. I'm about to put this version on my own board and take a few laps. Check the other ESCs, I'm curious if they're all that picky.

I can send you an updated unit in Tuesday's mail, you'd have it Thursday; or we can save each direction shipping and I can walk you through updating on an Uno -- you'll need 5 jumper wires, but it's easy. Your call, let me know which you'd prefer.

Save the shipping! We can work this out. I'll test it on my other boards/esc's tomorrow and let you know how it goes. The Uno is shipping from the US of A so Hopefully I'll get it this week. Jumpers...Stiff wires or wires with clips?

Thanks again!

psychotiller said:
I've got it hooked up to my EZrun Pro 150a. I can test it in one of the other boards tomorrow which have either a Mamba Monster2 or Castle XL2 Which ESC's are you guys using?

Cool. I've got an EZrun Pro 150a here and I'll send it to Austin to double check with as well to see if it's an ESC issue. Try it on the Mamba Monster 2 and Castle XL2. I'm curious to know if they are able to work seamlessly across different ESCs. We are both using the 8S 120Amp Dual ESCs.

You need just breadboard jumper wire - http://www.amazon.com/Breadboard-jumper-wire-75pcs-pack/dp/B0040DEI9M/ and/or find it on ebay. You just need it with pins.

torqueboards: grab the latest update. It definitely doesn't *break* anything, but the ESC still takes a few seconds to "sync". I'll test more tomorrow night with an RC receiver and see if I can figure out the difference in sync timing. Nyko syncup is *way* better now.

austindavid said:
torqueboards: grab the latest update. It definitely doesn't *break* anything, but the ESC still takes a few seconds to "sync". I'll test more tomorrow night with an RC receiver and see if I can figure out the difference in sync timing. Nyko syncup is *way* better now.

Sweet. I'll give it a try.

grab it NOW -- the ESC sync might be fixed (fingers crossed). I'm out for the day; if you don't like it go back to the previous release. I'll actually test it tonight for a mile or few. Just now it synced my ESC instantly, but I gotta run out.

Works flawlessly with the Mamba Monster2. Sinked up instantly too.
I'll check the Castle XL2 Tonight.

Noticed how much smoother my pintail accelerates with the Wiimote. Very nice.

psychotiller said:
Works flawlessly with the Mamba Monster2. Sinked up instantly too.
I'll check the Castle XL2 Tonight.

Noticed how much smoother my pintail accelerates with the Wiimote. Very nice.

Sweet. All the ESCs seem to be a little different. We'll figure it out quickly with more testers.

torqueboards and I tested another ESC -- Hobbywing maybe? it worked the same with an off-the-shelf receiver, and the wiiceiver. Fast syncing and response, normal idle, etc.

https://github.com/jaustindavid/wiiceiver/archive/master.zip if you can update it; let me know how it goes.

Can someone please test the receiver on a Hobbyking 150a Car ESC? I want to know if it's compatible with mine.

Carbon said:
Can someone please test the receiver on a Hobbyking 150a Car ESC? I want to know if it's compatible with mine.
I'm using the same esc. I'll be putting my bag-o-parts together this week, so stay tuned!

michaeliam said:
Ah ok, is there instructions for me to configure this from scratch?

It's a receiver; you plug it into an ESC, plug a nunchuck into the nunchuck spot, and it just works. The software is still changing a little, though AFAIK we're down to the last sticky wicket -- syncing with ESCs quickly, which seems to be a dark art. If you can update the software (using an Uno, there are instructions higher in this thread), you could get one now and have fun. If you can't update it you might want to wait until changes settle down.

I have about 20 miles on mine since I last changed it, and it's pretty perfect, but I want to get more feedback from others before I declare victory.

psychotiller: any more feedback for us?

austindavid said:
michaeliam said:
Ah ok, is there instructions for me to configure this from scratch?

It's a receiver; you plug it into an ESC, plug a nunchuck into the nunchuck spot, and it just works. The software is still changing a little, though AFAIK we're down to the last sticky wicket -- syncing with ESCs quickly, which seems to be a dark art. If you can update the software (using an Uno, there are instructions higher in this thread), you could get one now and have fun. If you can't update it you might want to wait until changes settle down.

I have about 20 miles on mine since I last changed it, and it's pretty perfect, but I want to get more feedback from others before I declare victory.

psychotiller: any more feedback for us?

No, not yet..Other than it works great with the monster 2. I have a busy week with work this week. Hope to get some miles in this weekend.

I am interested in this! It makes it easier to set a speed right? I still havent figured out how to with the Pistol controller and my Hobbywing 150a ESC's . This is great! Once the bugs are worked out all the way I will definitely get the kit.

theprodigyp said:
I am interested in this! It makes it easier to set a speed right? I still havent figured out how to with the Pistol controller and my Hobbywing 150a ESC's . This is great! Once the bugs are worked out all the way I will definitely get the kit.

Just use the thumb stick to get to your desired speed, then hold down the "C" button and you stay at your set speed. Let go, slow down , press "C" and go back to your set speed.

psychotiller said:
Just use the thumb stick to get to your desired speed, then hold down the "C" button and you stay at your set speed. Let go, slow down , press "C" and go back to your set speed.

You can also use the stick while holding C, to make much smaller speed adjustments.

Finally got my stuff...
woohooo will try to get some stuff sorted on the destroyer to set it up...

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_06 May. 28 17.58.jpg
    ScreenHunter_06 May. 28 17.58.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,634
Went on my first testdrive today. I had a few problems.
I wired up the esc with the nunchuk-board and put in a battery. Everything started blinking like it should. Then I turned on my nunchuk and it made a connection with the receiver. The board stopped flashing after this and it didn't work. It took me some tries to get it to work. The only way it works for me is; I need to power up the board and immediately turn the nunchuk on. If I wait to long it wont sync.

When synced it runs really well. I think I cannot reach the absolute fullspeed (might be fixed with the latest update). My normal remote seems to be able to run it faster. I made 3 km trip and after about 2 km my nunchuk lost connection. After that the connection didn't seem to hold for more then 20 secs. I switched back to my normal remote.

The specs i have;
Nyko kama
Boat esc 90a

I think i might try the other brand nunchuk. I really like to way my board handles with the nunchuk. The smoothing is awesome!

HI dodgy..
your problem might lie with the boat esc... just the nunchuck version of the regular remote cogging perhaps, maybe that was what we were seeing all along.. a breaking up of the signal..which of course a regular boat user might not care about but launches us off our boards
Hopefully Ill be setting up mine today or tomorrow with my hobbywing 150.. and i'll have some updates on te initial setup..

Just as a very superficial first impression. The board looks nicely done an like a real prototype. The nyko is awesomely cool...I'm sure if Batman e-boarded he'd have one.. :D

DodgyBob said:
Went on my first testdrive today. I had a few problems.

Can you update the software? I believe these problems have been fixed:
Sync on startup: your version waits 5 secs then tries to attach to the nunchuck. The Kama needs to be paired in that 5s or the wiiceiver won't find it. The Memorex doesn't have this issue. The newer software fixes this.
Dropping: this sounds like interference. The Kama starts blinking when the signal gets iffy, and may drop. Newer software will reconnect when it comes back, but the real problem is interference and/or signal strength. Sounds like you were on fresh batteries, so interference. I posted earlier about removing the cover from the Kama base and repointing the antenna... That will help. You can also try moving it out from under your foot. If you unpack the antenna, protect the little wires.
Throttle: this sounds like the ESC thing psychotiller uncovered, and is also fixed.

Do you have an Uno? I believe reflashing will resolve all but the interference issue, and even that is handled better now.

I just updated the software; Now when i start everything up and sync the nunchuk the motor starts rolling on low speed. I have to move the thumbstick downwards a bit to make the motor stop turning. Is there a setting i can tweak?

Back