• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Wiring Harness or Controller upgrade

Bomba

1 µW
Hello, new to the group, I have a Radwagon 2017 that motor wont turn on with error 30 code. Have I have a new battery but no power and looks like wiring harness connection from conroller to display was smashed so most likely pins/connector is not working, I tried to re align the 10 pins, or the controller is shot.?? Anyone know of any wiring /connectors I could use to bypass and check if controller is faulty or how to diagnose 10 pin connector with a multimeter? Or how to replace with new Controller/Wires? Or if another forum is more appropriate

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 524
what specifically happened to damage the connectors?

knowing that might help figure out the problem, if it is not just the connectors. (since if they now plug in correctly they should be functioning, unless there is other damage)

error 30 is a communication error which basically means the controller and lcd aren't talking. there are two specific wires for tx and rx, dunno which pin they are in that connector in your pics (or if they're even in that connector at all).

there's a bunch of discussion about error 30 on those bikes here
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/error-30-maintain-on-radrover.11903/
most of which basically ends up being wiring harness or connector problems, afaict.

fwiw, the pics are too small to see enough detail to be helpful.

Hello, I think it happened on the trunk car rack bar may have squished it a bit. When plugged in, I get power to the Display and then after 10 sec is when the error code 30 appears. Is there a way to diagnose the Controller or the harness to start the troubleshooting process? It is a 10 pin connector which connects the controller to the display1, brakes 2, throttle1, and front light. (4 pins on each side of connector with 2 pins beside each other in the center) Thank you!

Bomba,
Contact Radcycles and ask them what they suggest, maybe they'll loan you a harness to test.

I noticed that there’s a video by Rad online that shows how to troubleshoot the cable connections for error code 30. Maybe that would be a good starting place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bomba said:
Hello, I think it happened on the trunk car rack bar may have squished it a bit.

ok, if they were squished without being unplugged at all, the contacts should be intact, but a wire may be separated from the back of a contact inside the plastic molded plug housing.

you probably can't realy fix that directly, without cutting the housings away to get to it, and it would be easier to cut the plugs off completely and wire directly from one cable to the other. or just replace the harness (which may include having to solder a new piece from inside the display to the point it plugs into the harness, dependign on where connectors are, etc.).

Is there a way to diagnose the Controller or the harness to start the troubleshooting process? I

yes...but it may require opening up the controller and / or display to access the pads on the pcb that the wires solder to. you'd measure the contnuity (ohms) between each pad a wire goes to and then each pin on the connector of that cable. you should get basicaly zero ohms, or continuity, from each pad to one of the pins on the connector.

if you don't get that, so that every wire in the cable measures to a pin (though every pin may not have a corresponding wire) then that is your broken wire.

almost certainly it is either the tx or rx wire that is broken, so you could also just find out which pin that is on each connector from rad, and then measure connection between pin and solder pad for each of those, to controller and display. then just fix whichever one turns out to be broken (whcih might mean splicing a wire across the connector)

Back